What's new

Klipsch and Monster Cables... the dilema (1 Viewer)

Scott_Jua

Stunt Coordinator
As I would hate to endorse Monster cables at this time or buy anything that has been built in conjunction with their marketing or name, I am in a moral confrontation with the fact that Klipsch speakers advertises that they wire internally with Monster brand wiring.

When did this alliance begin, and what speaker models of Klipsch's are not wired with Monster wire? How far back do I have to go to avoid supporting Monster Cables through Klipsch?

Or should I start searching other speaker brands...???

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Does it really matter? It's just wire. If you like the speakers, I wouldn't say this is a reason for commotion. I use Monster speaker wire for all my speakers in my main system and it sounds great. I highly doubt anyone who's listened to it would question it's place in my system.

Their audio interconnects are a different story....

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
They no longer use Monster Cable in their speakers. There is absolutly no mention of it on their site, and Klipsch sure as he11 wouldn't do it just because.

They used to do it, but no longer.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
Their audio interconnects are a different story
.....and video interconnects.

I have become the "Monster" replacer in my family. Gifting other interconnects to help improve systems.

Dick Boneske

Stunt Coordinator
It's too bad you didn't gift something that would improve their systems. This is a controversial topic with no audible or visible proof of getting any bang for your buck except the status of being able to tell people how much you spent for interconnects.

Common lamp cord of 16 gage wire for loudspeaker hookup is not audibly inferior to the specialty cables by Monster and others even more expensive. No one has been able to demonstrate the superiority of these premium speaker cables, but people willingly spend megabucks on them. Many blind comparison tests of cables have been conducted with listeners not being able to distinguish from one to the other. The same is true of other interconnects. Even with computers, the sales personnel will tell you "your printer will work much better with these $50 gold-plated cables versus the $10 cheapies."

Please, if you don't agree, let's see some proof to the contrary.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
some proof to the contrary

I can overspend (for instant gratifaction..other times I am a relentless bargain shopper) When researching speaker wire, I was ready to Internet purchase for price and wait for delivery, I tried not to spend an arm & leg, but more than I would have for a role of lamp cord.

I proved it to myself (until proven wrong by further testing). Not scientific or under extremely controlled double blind, but enough to have decided I can discriminate (repeatable) between some choices both in audibility and visuals. But still prefer to purchase without the expense and hassle of testing the quite literally thousands of choices available, as I do not feel currently there is that EXTREME of a difference (and certainly not a 20K difference for interconnects EVER!!) but hang in the middle of the road, and choose (when I don't have time to test hundreds of choices) to use products already road tested and generally consistently in use by semi and prof. Installers.

3 years ago when I started building a system the first heated debate I read for hours, regarded speaker wire, interconnects and Snake Oil Salesmen. My head was spinning. I was starting to shop, (and scaring my husband to death about budget, so relayed portions of the arguments which I had seen, to him over weekends, musing out loud over the points which I felt could have validity, as regards arguments both sides of the issue.

One rainy night when I told him I was about to attempt to decide how much to spend on speaker wire, He said, “Lets see for ourselves”. (I love this guy!). He pulled out every bit of wire he could find which gave us 4 choices.
Old speaker wire which came on my sons system of unknown origin. Zip cord from HD, CatV (22g or less) split and twisted 4 wires in the bundle each for L/R speakers, and Old speaker wire from the other sons system of unknown origin. It was all the choice we had at hand, in the house, at 11:30 at night. My husband and I took turns rotating this hodgepodge wiring to a L/R speaker between the 4 choices, hiding from each other which wire was in use for each test. We both consistently rated the sound of each wire #1 through #4 in the same order of ‘best’ while rotating through two turns each. The CatV came in first that night for both of us.

What this little experiment left me with at that time was that very possibly; wire impedance, quality of construction; conductivity of the materials, shielding, etc (COULD, -within a degree range) have an end effect on my system.

Not feeling up to buying and testing 6-ft runs of the possible jillion brands on the market, I personally just made a snap judgement after our informal (we will decide for ourselves do-it-yourself test) to go with a known mid-priced middle of the line, Kimber cable at that time, as I noted many professionals often utilized that brand.

Later when setting up our new 60” LCD, I had a collection of Monster Video cables.
During the purchase of the set as a birthday present for my husband I ordered a Better Cables set of Component cables. Since My husband and myself had run our little speaker wire shootout, It caused me wonder about video cable also! The delivery was just a drop-off, I hooked the unit up, and thought I was totally inept at this chore since my inputs just would not WORK. Turned out after a frustrating hour that the brand new interconnects were bad. SO, I used my old set of Monster component set, till I had time to swing by the B&M for my replacement set of “Better Cables” branded component set. When I switched over to the replacement Better Cables a couple of weeks later, I thought I noticed an instant diff in PQ. I asked 3 people passing through that weekend. "What do you notice about the picture here, and (hold on) here?????"

Consistently the Monster cable pushed Red, and the consensus from the untrained passing through, was "too much RED" on one with the "color more natural" and balanced with the other picture. (they also felt the pic was sharper. (I looped the same video during this process) These people are of the type, who had no ideal that consumers really even HAVE choice in branded component cables, the ones who use what comes in the box with their purchase. I gave them no hint what to look for, just asked did they see any difference?
The improvement in PQ was duly noted by all here, on Sony’s and one JVC display, as I got round to replacing Monster over the next year. YMMV and I don’t know if it would repeat for any other manufactor’s display.

Since We saw and heard for ourselves I am quite comfortable ignoring the arguments on both sides, and stay firmly in the middle road, of attempting to buy decent quality construction and no more Monster branded products for my foreseeable future till, a problem with any other brand comes to my attention.

I would DEARLY LOVE to take part in controlled Doubleblinds regarding this topic. Not being nervous about being proved either wrong or right, rather simply curious.

Tis all the proof I can give, and simply my humble untrained personal experience’s.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Speaker wire makes a very subtle difference, and in most cases, not enough to warrant spending big dough on them. That also depends on what you consider big dough... I don't consider $20 for speaker wire expensive.

Interconnects on the other hand, can make a much more noticable difference, and just as Mary has, I have done plenty of comparisons and found differences and have had people with knowledge of audio systems as well as complete novices with no knowledge of the changes confirm those differences.

I don't know about you, but I don't have any printers in my audio systems, so the analogy is moot. The fact is, in the case of your computer and it's peripherals, the data being sent, in most cases, is not used for audio purposes, so the need to minimize electronic degradation is not the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks