Klipsch and Definitive Combo?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kyle_Y, Dec 14, 2001.

1. Kyle_Y

Kyle_Y Stunt Coordinator

How do you think it will sound if I combine a pair of Klipsch RB5 II in front with a Def Tech Pro center 100 and Procinema 80 rears with a Velodyne CT-120 sub? I am thinking of replacing my current 4 ohm fronts(moving them to a separate music only system. Do you think the klipsch speakers will clash with the Definitives? I am thinking of upgrading my fronts OR Pioneer DD DTS receiver since it has trouble powering my 4ohm fronts, but do you think if I bought very efficient fronts that it may help, or should I just upgrade the Pioneer to a Denon 2802?

2. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

It might sound ok...but any reason why you would not get Definitive mains? If you get the Klipsch, there goes your timbre matching.

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Klipsch speakers made their reputation by using a different "Horn" design for their drivers. This made them very efficient (meaning you dont need as much power to produce sound), but it also gives them a somewhat recognizible sound.

A salesman told me that once you own Klipsch, you tend to re-buy Klipsch because you get used to the horn-loaded sound and other speakers just dont sound right.

For this reason, you will have a much harder time mixing Klipsch speakers with any other brands.

You should try to go all Klipsch or all some-other-brand for the front speakers.

4. Kyle_Y

Kyle_Y Stunt Coordinator

The only reason I would go with Klipsch is because they are so efficient. I didn't think they sounded THAT good in the store, but I didn't listen to the good Klipschs.

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Most modern speakers are nearly as efficient as Klipsch. And frankly, the whole efficiency thing is not nearly as important for HT as it WAS for music.

Music tries to use 2 speakers to fill an entire room with sound.

But for a HT system is different:

- The speakers are not all producting sound all the time like stereo music speakers

- The speakers surround a central location and only need to sound good in the middle. You dont care how it sounds in the extreme corners so you dont need the power to fill the corners.

Tastes in speakers are like tastes in ice-cream. What I like may not be what you like. Do some auditions, then go back a week later and buy whatever sounds good to you on both trips.

6. dean_g

dean_g Agent

I don't think I can agree with you here Bob -
    1) Most modern day speaker designs are usually 1/2 as efficient as most Klipsch designs. The Klipsch Reference Series combines 96db/w - 102db/w (depending on model) with audiophile class smoothness. At any rate, most other designs come in around 89db/w - 91db/w. This means most Reference Series models can do with 100 watts what others will need 1000 to do. This means less distortion, more low level detail - and all with less stress on speakers and amp.
    2) To say efficiency is only for the most part relative to music and not HT is simply not true. As a matter of fact, it is the complete opposite. To recreate the true HT experience one needs speakers capable of reproducing the brutal dynamics inherent in the types of sounds found in film. Most designs fall very short of meeting this objective.
    I'm not the biggest fan of the old style horns used a decade or more ago in Klipsch designs - but these new designs are absolutely killer.
    www.klipsch.com and check out the Reference stuff.

7. ToddJoseph

ToddJoseph Stunt Coordinator

Dean,

Please do not engage Bob A, he will go off in tangents and we will be better off if he did not.

Summary:

do not mix and match, stay with one maufacturer of speakers.

Go either Klipsch all around or the other