Klipsch amp combo

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BenK, Oct 29, 2002.

1. BenK

BenK Stunt Coordinator

I currently have a Carver AV-505 5 channel amp mated to Klipsch reference speakers. It sounds excellent to me. Now I have the chance to get a new Parasound HCA-855A for about the same or a bit more than what I paid for the Carver. Power output is "rated" roughly the same so its even there. I figure even if the Parasound is a little more money it might be worth it since I'll be gaining the 12v trigger. The Carver does not have that. But more importantly sound wise would the Parasound be a better match with Klipsch speakers?

2. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

I haven't used a Carver amp with my Klipsh speakers, so I can't speak to that. I do use a Parasound 1205A with my Klipsch reference speakers though and I can say it was a wonderful improvement over the Onkyo power supply I was using before, much warmer than the Onkyo. As to the Carver, if it is at all bright sounding, then I would say the Parasound would be better matched with the Klipsch. Can you demo the unit with your Klipsch? In the end, it's going to be how it sounds to your ears. Some like the sound more forward and bright than others, while others find it fatiguing that way.

3. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

Parasound or any other warm sounding amp will be an excellent match to Klipsch. You wont be sorry for the upgrade.

4. BenK

BenK Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the replies. I've read that Carver amps tend to be neutral sounding and Parasound amps are warm sounding. Theres no way I could really demo the Parasound first. I was just hoping for some opinions/experiences to help me lean one way or the other.

5. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    Well let me chime in here since i have had the Parasound HCA 855A and a Carver A705x(and of course, Klipsch Reference Speakers). The Parasound is a little warmer than the Carver and the imaging is slightly better. The Carver is neutral but not fatiguing IMO. I did notice slightly better detail with the Carver than the Parasound. That might not be the same with the 505 though. The 705 is THX certified and 125x5. The Parasound is 85x5. The Parasound has plenty of power though. I do not think you will be dissapointed in the Parasound. Of course a side by side comparison would be ideal. On another note, I purchased a Rotel RB981(130x2) to see how well it would match with the Klipsch and i have to say i really liked the sound. I likd it so much i went to my dealer today and ordered the Rotel RMB 1075 THX Ultra (120x5) amp. Look forward to trying it out with my new RSP 1066 pre/pro!

6. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

I have a Reference 3 package mated with an HCA-855a and it makes a superb combination. Leagues ahead of all the receivers I've demoed in my system. Here's a few of the receiver's I've tested next to it:
    Yamaha RX-V995, HTR-5280(RX-V800)
    Onkyo HT-R490, TX-DS595, TX-DS696, TX-SR600, TX-SR700
    Pioneer Elite VSX-33TX, VSX-35TX

IMO, the 855a is an absolute steal(especially at ebay prices).

If you're curious as to which receiver I liked best, it was the VSX-35TX then the RX-V995.

7. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

Hey, I thought all amps sound the same. [​IMG]

8. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

9. BenK

BenK Stunt Coordinator