Klipsch 5.5

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by John Sack, Nov 30, 2003.

1. John Sack

John Sack Auditioning

I have Klipsch 5.5 speakers and I currently use an 20 yr old Kenwood KR-920(B) 50 watts pr channel receiver. I plan to look at center channel speakers next and a new 6.1 channel receiver.

Should I stay with same brand speakers? What should I look for in speakers? Any recommendations on center channel speakers?

How much power should I plan on purchasing in my receiver to get to 6.1 system with good sound out of compatible Klipsch speakers?

2. Aaron Smithski

Aaron Smithski Stunt Coordinator

Hi John,

If you like the sound of your 5.5's, I would definitely stick with them! I owned a set myself for nearly 10 years. I sometimes find myself missing their characteristics, but since I sold them to a good friend of mine I still get a chance to hear them every now and then! [​IMG]

If you do decide to stay with your Klipsch, a pretty good match for them is the KLF-C7 center channel. It is a monster (about 40 lbs!) of a speaker with two 8" woofers and the big horn tweeter.

I hooked my buddy up with this center to go with his KG5.5's. Add in a pair of KSF-S5's for surround duty and he has a very dynamic system! [​IMG]

The above system is powered by a Sherwood receiver that is rated at 100 x 5; the Klipsch are so efficient that you do not need a ton of power to drive them to extremely loud levels.

Aaron Smith

3. John Sack

John Sack Auditioning

Thank you very much. I had also observed yesterday someone asking same question as myself on the Klipsch Heritage forum. responses were go with KV-3, or KG 2.5V, or 2.2V and stay away from SC.5 or SC-1 as they are too small. I like your idea best so far to go with 8" sub woofers in KLF - C7.

I will have to drop top shelf down a few inches in entertainment center but that is not a problem per wife the furniture dealer.

I will shop on e-bay for KLF-7 now.

John Sack

4. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

Well if you are looking just for a center channel and have some money to burn look at the Klipsch Reference line for center channels, they are really some nice speakers.

I have noticed personally that the Heritage series seems to sound closer to the Reference series personally, perhaps because the Reference series uses a little larger horn then the Synergy does...

The KLF looks nice tho!

Good luck.