Klipsch 3 way?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Mike Foley, Mar 4, 2005.

1. Mike Foley

Mike Foley Extra

I was looking over the Klipsch website, and couldn't find any 3 way floor standing speakers. Do they make 3 way speakers? or am I just not looking in the right place?

2. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

Only the Heritage line.

However, they have a ULTRA MEGA line coming out (like the Paradigm Signatures, expensive and VERY nice) eventually.

Don't rule out any speaker because it is 2-way.

3. Mike Foley

Mike Foley Extra

I'm stil new to home theater stuff. Isn't a 3 way usually better than a 2 way?

4. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

No.

Plain and simple.

There are awesome 2-way speakers and there are $h!tty 3-way speakers.

There are awesome 3-way speakers and there are $h!tty 2-way speakers.

They are just different designs. One is not better than the other, period.

5. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Adding to Kenneth's comments:

- A good 2-way speaker might have a tweeter and a mid-bass driver. Add a good subwoofer and you'll have your 3-way.

After getting into subwoofers a few years back, I can clearly see (and hear) that you'd have to spend thousands on speakers to get bass that a moderately-priced subwoofer would provide.

With that in mind, I'd look for good speakers that provide good tweeters and woofers - that might not necessarily go below 50Hz. This isn't such an issue because you can have the receiver set to make the frequency split so your main speakers won't get over-taxed and the sub will do the heavy work when it comes to bass.

6. Mike Foley

Mike Foley Extra

I've heard the JBL e60s at Best Buy a few months ago. I liked the way they sound. Not a bad price for 3 way floor standing speakers. Right now I'm looking for 4 surround speakers, a left, center, and right. My price limit is $650. I already have my sub. The JBL northridge series fits in that budget. I've found E60s for $280, EC35 for $160, and E10 surrounds for $100 per pair.

I've heard Klipsch speakers and they sound amazing, I'm just not sure if they will fit in my budget.

Any other suggestions for that budget?

7. Wayne Ernst

Given the budget amount that you have presented, you might consider some of the Internet speaker manufacturers/vendors. Some starting points:

Axiomaudio.com
    hometheaterdirect.com
    + many others

8. Mike Foley

Mike Foley Extra

That $650 limit is for all of them. Axiom seems a little over my budget. Home Theater Direct prices are decent. What are some others?

9. Wayne Ernst

Fluance.
    Acoustech.

With your limited budget, you might consider making an intial purchase of speakers. For example, pick the front 3 speakers and purchase them. Then, set a goal for time and money to purchase the rear surround speakers and then, finally, the subwoofer.

In my experience, if you set your purchase goals too low in the beginning by trying to spend a small set amount of money to get lots o' speakers, you usually will not be satisfied and then prompted to upgrade more quickly.

I'm not suggesting that you go out and spend $2,000 for all of your speakers. Many bargains can be had for much less than that. You mentioned earlier that you liked the JBL E60 speakers. You might consider the E80 model instead - or even the E90. Both of those models sounded quite a bit better than the E60. However, this is just my opinion.

I'm sure many others will agree in regards to buying the most appropriate speakers from the beginning. I see many people who usually end up purchasing upgrades quite quickly after the initial purchase because they realize the weaknesses of their purchase.

Also, many of us have a disease, called "upgradeitis". It's hard to beat. But, you can lengthen the spans between the attacks of this disease by buying the best equipment you can afford at the time - even if it means that you'd have to live with 3 speakers for the next 6 months until you can buy the others. After all, I'd rather have 3 good speakers initially rather than 5 mediocre speakers.

10. Mike Foley

Mike Foley Extra

Part of the problem I have is that I live in a small city. The most high-end theater store only caries Klipsch and Definitive; Best Buy and Circuit City sells decent speakers like Polk, Infinity, JBL, and Athena. So high end brands like Boston, Fluance, Axiom, Acoustech, and Paradigm I am not able to test out.

Is the E90 really that much of a step up? I see that it has dual 8" instead of the E60's 8" singles. and the E80s have dual 6s. I'm still new, but it seems like one 8" would be better than dual 6". Keep in mind I have a nice Mirage sub already, so I'm not sure if an extra set of 8" woofers is worth an extra $150 to me.

Also, I have an HK AVR325 receiver. Would certain speakers sound better with that than others?

11. Wayne Ernst

Mike,

Believe it or not, one can tell some pretty big differences in sound between the various models by the same manufacturer. If they all sounded the same, JBL wouldn't need to build an E60, E80, E90, Etc. They would just build an E## to cover all the bases.

Personally, I didn't think much of the sound from the E60. The E80 was way better sounding. Also, you mentioned Klipsch. If those were the Synergy series that you heard, I think there's quite a bit of difference between the F1, F2 and F3 models. The F3 with (2) 8" drivers sounds a bit better than the F1 or F2.

I live in a very large metro area. I'm also somewhat limited when it comes to speakers. I can hear Klipsch, Polk, Paradigm, etc. However, most dealers don't carry all th brands I'd like to hear so it usually means driving 25 - 30 minutes - or longer in traffic to get to the other retailer to hear the other speakers.

Some of the brands mentioned: Axiom, Home Theater Direct, etc. - are Internet-only E-tailers. Even if you lived in a big city, you'd still have to buy the speakers like the rest of us, have them shipped to your house so an evaluation can take place. Then, if there was an issue where you didn't like the sound, you'd have to ship them back for a refund.