What's new

KLH, Pioneer, Sony low-end receivers (1 Viewer)

Walter_C

Grip
I want to purchase a basic receiver and make use of my still-great (but old) sounding AR Inc speakers [as mains] and slowly build on additional [surround] speakers, etc.

I want to spend only about $200 - $250 (I know this severely limits me).

I have seen in Best Busy and Circuit City the following brands/models and would like peoples opinions:

KLH R5000 (about $180)
Pioneer VSX-D411 (about $180)
Sony STRDE485 (about $200)

The Pioneer and Sony do not have S-video, although the KLH does. *Not that this would be a deciding factor but what usefulness would s-video provide on my receiver? I have just purchased a DVD player with optical and coax digital audio outputs as well as composite/s-video output.

Please share any thoughts on the above receivers or on another brand.

Thanks,
Walter

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Well my roomate had a Pioneer reciever that was kind of like that one. I thought it sounded fine. If that were my budget then I would go with the Pioneer just because my roomate had it for 3 years and never had a single problem with it and always had nice sound.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I would stay away from the low end Sonys at all costs. They are simply not worth the money, even at this price point. I honestly would say save your money and get a better receiver, because in the 300-400 range there are much better choices: Marantz SR4200, Denon 1602, and Harmon Kardon AVR125, and in the long run it will be worth it.

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Walter, in that price range, I'd go with the Pioneer although for $300 budget, you also begin to get in the range of the low end offerings from Onkyo (SR-500), and Denon (1602). Yamaha may also have a low end model in the $200-300 range. Svideo is a feature you won't use probably since you should just hook your dvd player up directly to either the Svideo or component inputs on your tv (hopefully it has one of these :) ).
good luck,
--tom

Have you considered Sherwood? AD7106 has everything you need and these days Sherwood clearing out 2001 models

Ches Campbell

Stunt Coordinator
Check out internet prices. You wil find some great deals. You can find onkyo, denon, and yamaha receivers for around 250-275. I am about to order a Yamaha HTR 5450 for 269. It is a top notch receiver and is at least ten times better than the ones you mentioned. Just search around. I promise it will be worth your while.
Later

Walter_C

Grip
Whoa.....now THAT is a good price for the 5450.
I have been searching the net for this receiver and can't come anywhere near/close to that price.

Might I ask what site(s) you were able to find this at?

Thanks,
Walter

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks