My cat, Aimee Catt (named after Aimee Mann), is not quite a year old and has hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. I would have to get an echocardiogram to be 100% certain, but I'm not willing to part with the money (as much as $1,000) just for the test. Plus all the symptoms are rather typical. She's still not stable from her congestive heart failure, but if she gets past this current crisis I will have to decide what I want to do. She is my first pet ever and in many respects I've learned I'm not a pet person or would prefer a pet who is less needy (Aimee has not been the stereotypical cat in terms of attention needs). Of course my conscience couldn't stand it if I chose to euthanize merely for my own sense of convenience, but with a prognosis of 2-3 year lifespan with a constant and regular battery of medications, I wonder if it would be worth it for either of us. She is really a sweet animal and as frustrating as she has been for my independent nature part of me thinks I should make the effort and then decide. It's still kind of early as she's not quite out of the woods, but I thought I should try to get my thoughts in order. Any suggestions or shared experiences welcome.