What's new

Kitchen Vacuum Sealers (1 Viewer)

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
Does anyone have any personal experience with kitchen vacuum sealers for use with food? I've seen the infomercials for them, however "normal" stores like Sears, Kohls etc sell them too. Any recommendations?

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
I'm wondering about this also. One of the "free food" guys at Costco suggested it. He said that it helped him (retiree on relatively low income, so he says) reduce a lot of food waste.

GordonL

Supporting Actor
I have one and it works great. I'm a single guy who likes to shop at the warehouse clubs which means bulk purchases. I've been dividing the food up into single serving sizes before I freeze them. I've got stuff that's over a year old and they still look like I just bought'em yesterday. You can get the Tilia cheaper at Sams, Costco, or BJs. They carry rolls of bags also.

Tim Kilbride

Stunt Coordinator
The wife and I use the 'Foodsaver' unit...we love it. It really does work at keeping food fresh longer. We get the bags at a local Sam's. We do everything from cold cuts to steaks to lettuce. The unit we got really can draw a SERIOUS vacuum.
Tim K.
:emoji_thumbsup:

Mike Hutman

Supporting Actor
I gave one to my Dad for Christmas. He uses it for everything. I would highly recommend it.

David Singleton

Stunt Coordinator
Agree, with everyone here. I have the Foodsaver and use it for anything that goes in the freezer (well, almost) and for marinating meats prior to making their way to the grill.

I can't recommend one enough.

David

Julie K

Screenwriter
I have one, the Tilia "Professional II" and really like it. It has an attachment which will fit over a canning jar. This may not sound like much but if you put brown sugar in a jar and seal it you never have to face hard, clumpy brown sugar again. It stays soft as long as it's not exposed to air.

Mostly I use mine for meat I buy or otherwise obtain in bulk. It really keeps things from developing freezer burn.

The only drawbacks are that you generally need to partially freeze the item before sealing otherwise you draw juices into the vacuum chamber. You may also have to first wrap some meats, like pork chops or ribs, before placing in the bag. Even though the bags are pretty tough, they can be pierced by bones that stick out too much. But having said this, I still highly recommend the device.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.