What's new

Kitchen TV - LCD w/ DVD mounted under cabinet... (1 Viewer)

Ralphie_B

Stunt Coordinator
Hello all,

My wife and I just moved into a new home, and we want a TV for the kitchen. We are shopping under-cabinet mounted units that combine a small LCD panel with built-in DVD player, NTSC cable-ready tuner, and FM/AM radio.

I understand there are compromises inherent to this approach -- screen size is limited to 7-10", display resolution is pretty low, etc. But we like the advantages of not consuming counter space with a free-standing TV, not needing to stick a DVD player inside a cabinet and run A/V cables, etc. Overall, the balance looks to be in favor of the under-cabinet combo.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like there are a whole lot of units to choose from on the market. There are units from brands including Sony, Philips, GPX, Audiovox, Coby, and Malata. I've done a pretty exhaustive web search for reviews of these units, but without much success. About all I've gathered is that Sony's offering is well-made, but too big to fit under standard cabinets (oops on their part) and expensive; Philips' is unreliable and prone to failure just outside the 90-day warranty period; Audiovox's is a mixed bag. I've seen no reviews on the Malata, Coby, or GPX units. From a spec sheet/features and price standpoint, I am leaning strongly toward the Coby above all the others... but I'm still a bit leery since I haven't seen any reviews on this product, and I'm not very familiar with the brand.

Anybody have any experience with some of these products? Any words of advice? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks