What's new

Kitchen stove question (1 Viewer)

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
We will probably be replacing our stove after the first of the year. (I know, I wish it were a new amp instead)
We'll have to get electric. The thing that I don't understand is why on the electric ranges are the controls on the back? You know so you have to reach over the boiling hot food or the spitting grease? At first I thought it was so kids couldn't get at them, but on all the gas ranges they are on the front.
Nobody at the stores has ever had an answer, and I know you people here are so much smarter than the appliance people so why do they make them that way?

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
Had a Jennair growing up. Awesome stove.
We are tryin' not to spend two grand on one though as we are only gonna be in our house a couple more years.
Thanks

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
It's not really "why are the knobs in the back on most electric stoves", but rather "why are all knobs in the front on gas stoves". The reason is nobody wants to reach over a lit gas burner (especially kids, short people, those with dangling clothing, potholders etc.) to turn it off. Electric stoves are much less of a fire hazard because they have no flame to rise up and catch something on fire. You have to make contact with the burner to be seriously burned with an electric. So why put the electric stove knobs in the back? Probably because it is easier to wire them that way, so all the wiring goes up the back.

CRyan

Screenwriter
Are you looking to replace a "free" range or a slide-in. Slide-in electric ranges have the knobs up front.

C. Ryan

Users who are viewing this thread