What's new

Kitchen sink re-glazing (1 Viewer)

Jim517

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Has anyone ever had this done ? We have a white porcelain sink, and are thinking of having it done with a different color.

I'm wondering about the durability though.

Thanks.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
We just had the bath tub re-glazed in the condo my mother just purchased. She hasn't moved in yet (will be happening next weekend), so I cannot comment about the durability yet. However, we were given some special instructions for care of the tub, so as to not ruin the finish.

1. Fix any drips from the faucet immediately, as dripping water will ruin the finish quicker than anything.
2. No abrasive cleansers -- they recommended srcubbing bubbles.
3. No bath mats -- the suction cups will pull the finish off. He did say that adhesive strips would probably be okay.
4. Do not place any shampoo bottles on the tub finish.

So, based on the above, my assumption is it will not as durable as the original finish. In our case, we changed from an old muster/gold color to white in order to better match the rest of the redecorated bathroom.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I think it would probably almost be less expensive to get a new sink rather than have it professionally re-done.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I think it would probably almost be less expensive to get a new sink rather than have it professionally re-done.
That is what we did with the sink and toilet in my mother's condo bathroom. A new vanity with the sink included only cost $250. Replacing the bath tub, though, would have required re-tiling the entire tub enclosure, so re-glazing was the more cost effective option there.

Jim517

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
The problem is it's not a simple swap out of the sink. Since the current porcelain sink is set on a tile countertop, once it's removed a new(larger) hole has to be cut for the stainless sink(2-3 hours labor). And there's a chance that the 20 year old tile is damaged.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
It sounds like you are better off just leaving the sink as is. As long as the original finish is in good condition, there's really no reason to change it. After all, white goes with everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks