What's new

Kitchen Remodeling (1 Viewer)

Sam C

Stunt Coordinator
Ok ... Anyone here have Corian or Granite countertops ... Also looking for anyone w/ slate flooring in the kitchen ... What kind of prices did you pay ... I'm getting estimates that seem very high ...

DonnyD

Screenwriter
Corian and Granite are among the highest countertops. Corian has some definite advantages over others inasmuch it is repairable if you happen to damage it. Granite is usually not considered sanitary due to the porosity. Never heard of a slate countertop but can see where it could apply. True slate varies widely in quality though. Another Corian type top is Himax.... same materials and apps but is about 15-20% less. Ranges on Corian etc in my area are 75-90 bucks per sq ft.

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I have a Corian countertop with the molded sink in my kitchen and I couldn't say enough good things about it. I would get it again in a heartbeat.

As far as prices, I don't recall, maybe 2k, plus it does depend on if you are getting the sink, how much counterspace, etc. I bought it at a local place but the next cheapest place was home depot.

Hope this helps

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
Wow, I'm planning on remodeling. It sounds like you guys are doing this yourself. Is it easy to do? I've heard stories of how easy it is to install hard wood floors too, which really surprises me.

Geno

Supporting Actor
There are alternative materials you may use but it all depends on style. Concrete [MUST be sealed heavily because concrete is toxic] has become an inexpensive alternative and they now can texture and color concrete easily. Marble and granite are ok but they tend to discolor by the oven because of the porousness, they soak up oils [and they are about the most expensive]. Less expensive solid surface is the 1/8" thick style but less "repairable" than the 1/2" style. There is stainless steel but thats also a style issue.

As far as the slate flooring, make sure you get a few samples from your contractor to see its density. Some slate styles tend to flake very easily and need the additional cost of either sealing them [which makes the floor slick] or repairing them.

Best advice of all [since it seems you want to drop alot of $$ for this but want the best bang for buck kind of thing] do reasearch. Go get some mags at your local grocery store that cover countertops. They always have some mags that cover sountertops. Ask your contractor where they get the granite/marble and go see the distributors showroom. That will give you the best idea of whats availabe and they would know more about their product than your contractor.

I hope I didnt confuse you on this. how soon were you thinking about getting all this done? do you have designs done?

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Sam,

The corian, and probably the granite, are extremely heavy pieces and I don't think you want to be doing that yourself, at least I wouldn't. I watched them install the corian and it's pretty neat that they put in two pieces and then sanded the joint and it magically disappeared. You would never tell that my countertop is two pieces.

I found the best place to be a store near northbrook called counter-revolutions. They had the best prices for corian in the chicago area.

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
Hey Dave, great tip. I'll look into counter-revolutions! :emoji_thumbsup: BTW - Did you check out those homebrew links? I'm going to be going down to Binny's "Beverage" Depot this Sunday. You know, I may need a little oil before Bears-Packers. :laugh:

Sam C

Stunt Coordinator
Dave --- Thanks ... I'll also check out Counter-Revs ... I agree ... I was not planning on doing this portion myself ... Cabinets & flooring yes ... Countertops no ...

Thanks again ...

Janna S

Second Unit
A recent issue of Fine Homebuilding has an excellent article comparing countertop materials. It's in either the current issue or the one before (I can't get to my stack of magazines right now). There is a web site (Taunton Press) that may provide info.

BryanW

Agent
Hi I have Corian I thought it was a little expensive but my wife had to have it ! I cost about $125. per running ft. installed. I have to say it is a nice countertop chose color wisely because you wond want to EVER replace it!!;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks