What's new

Kitchen remodel - TV/Computer pre wire (1 Viewer)

David_Jr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I am in the middle of a kitchen remodel and before the new drywall goes up i would like to prewire for a counter top LCD TV that could end up being a computer monitor. This would include a coupl of runs of RG6 for antenna etc. and I would also like to run at least S-video. I looked at Home Depot and they have modular jacks by Lutron that look nice and you can have up to six jacks in a single gang box. The S-video connector that Lutron sells for these recomends wiring it with CAT 5E. Does this sound right? Is this difficult for a 1st timer to do? How long can the runs be with CAT 5E? Should I try to get my electrician to do this? Thanks for the help.

Cameron_S

Auditioning
We manufacture devices which send AV signals over Cat 5e cabling: www.avovercat5.com. If you can wait four weeks, we will have fancy decora wall plate versions as well.

Cat 5e distribution is nice because you won't necessarily have to pull new wire should your application change in the future.

Don.l

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Don
It's probably not hard, but may require the purchase of some special tools like crimps or cutters that you may not have. I would try to get the exact name of the product you are talking about and then go to the website and look at the brochure. I looked at a couple of different ones and they do provide a lot of info. on how to hook things together. I never even knew this existed. Running video (s video, HDMI) through cat5e. Sounds like a great idea. I wonder if the picture quality is as good....

Don

David_Jr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Thanks for the input. right now I am just running the cabling. hoping to get it run before the sheetrocking crew comes Saturday. I bout a 500 foot roll of Cat5E. I will run several lines of it and just leave them hang. I will also run some RG6 while I'm at it. I am hoping to use it for audio, video and ethernet if possible. Thanks again.

Cameron_S

Auditioning

Yes, the picture quality is as good. We base all of our specifications (max distances) on excellent performance over regular Cat 5. We have been selling the products into the ProAV market for seven years into applications (bio tech, corporate AV, etc.) which demand extremely high performance.

If you are dealing with a digital product, such as HDMI, the signal remains all digital throughout so there is not an opportunity for loss.

Don.l

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Don
Thanks Cameron. That's good to know. I didn't even know about this product. So, essentially you don't need an HDMI cable right? You just need those boxes one at the projector and one at the source and attach together with cat5 cable?
Don

Cameron_S

Auditioning
You do need a short HDMI cable to jumper from the source to the balun--we supply a six foot cable with the balun package.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks