Kitchen Remodel: ceiling speakers or other?

BonnerK

Auditioning
Howdy all,

We are about to start a kitchen remodel. Currently, we have a little Sony "boombox" that sits on the table and provides news/music to the kitchen and dining area. During the remodel, I'd like to streamline that process a little.

Do you recommend ceiling speakers, connected to a centralized receiver...or am I better off going with some built-in wall speakers, or bookshelf speakers located somewhere amongst the kitchen cabinets?

I have heard some good ceiling speakers...and some awful ones. Right now, I see that Parts Express has some 6.5" MTX ceiling speakers for sale ($89/pr). I don't need huge sound, but these should certainly be an upgrade from the el-cheapo Sony box.

Space is also an issue...countertop is at a premium, and I like the idea of something built-in.

Ideas? What about an audio source? What's recommended here?

Thanks!

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I like the Dayton brand from PE. I've used their contractor grade speakers for my living room surrounds and they do a decent job. The next higher line has gotten some good reviews here.

I'd just use an old receiver as my source. PE also has some equipment for distributed audio so you can get as complex as you need.

-Robert

BonnerK

Auditioning
I like the idea of an old receiver. I currently use one in my office, for my computer audio (and of course radio).

I'll just check out eBay for a used receiver...it just has to be small enough to fit somewhere in the kitchen without getting in the way.

Thanks!

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have all of my equipment in my theater room and send it to other rooms of the house easily. I have an extensive IR distribution so that I can control volume and source selection.

-Robert

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gullfo