kitchen floor treatment

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Simon B, Apr 30, 2005.

1. Simon B

Simon B Auditioning

hi guys

have a dilema

my kitchen floors have cracked in certain areas,
    without having to replace all the tiles which have been cracked which are quiet alot, what other choice do i have.

is it possible to put some sort of layer on them? like some sort of vinyl flooring

thanks
    simon

2. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

Cracked tiles are typically due to the substrate under them "moving" or cracking itself. If it is just the tile that's cracked, they were probably laid without enough mortor underneath to form a "solid" bed....
    Are the cracks random or in a line more or less....
    Random would probably be the mortor under the tiles being the problem but tiles cracked in a line would probably be the substate problem.
    I don't know of any flooring that can be successfully laid over a tiled area and not exhibit eventual problems itself.
    Good luck.

3. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    Dang, my knees hurt just thinking about that [​IMG]

quick fixes include a place mat/rug [​IMG]

Good fix, pull up all the tiles in the area (provided you
    have the same kind) lay a plastic polymer for cracks that will not move when the foundation/cement moves and then lay new tile over it.

Good luck.

4. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    I'm seriously looking at this Spread Rock product as a cheap, do-it-yourself solution to the crummy vinyl flooring and worse plastic laminate countertops in my 30-year-old condo. I already blew most of the upgrade budget in the last year on replacing every appliance except the air conditioner and heater, and plan to replace all the carpets this year, so I need a durable and cost-effective solution for the bathrooms, the kitchen and the screen porch (where the hurricane-ravaged indoor/outdoor carpet has got to go.) Since I'm on the third floor, tile would be out of the question anyway. (The local building code has a noise abatement clause that effectively doubles the cost of laying tile by requiring that a full cork or other sound-absorbing subfloor be laid before the tile goes down. And no, existing vinyl flooring is not acceptable.)

Anyway, thought it might be something for you to consider. The stuff is thick enough to fill cracks (and you can also add sand and other fillers to thicken it further and give it texture.) I plan to pick some up in the next few weeks and spend some time experimenting on a big piece of plywood to see how well it works. (And how well I can work with it. [​IMG])

Regards,

Joe