What's new

Kit speakers (1 Viewer)

Ben Yang

Grip
I just wanted some feedback about kit speakers. How many here have many their own kits? What company did you go with? Are you satisfied?
given that speakers have the highest retail markup of all your HT gear, and the fact that it's the only piece of equipment that you have any realistic chance of making yourself, I recently took the plunge. I chose SCH www.speakerpage.com for their design, incredible prices, and honest friendly service. After I assemble them, I will post pics and results.
Thanks

Marc_D

Grip
Ben,
I too am interested in speaker kits. I have yet to build any, but I am currently in the market for a center channel kit. I would be very intersted in your results, which kit are you building?
------------------

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Ben and Marc,
I have built several speaker kits from ACI. I have built their Opals, 2 of their SV12 subwoofers, and am currently building a pair of Emeralds. I am using a single Emerald that I bought pre-built from ACI as my center channel and it is excellent! Even with it having only a 5.25" driver I have had no trouble pushing it hard. The vocal quality of this speaker is spectacular!
I originally used it lying on it's side and thought it sounded great. Recently I was able to stand it up vertically and the soundstage just opened up! Pans from left to right and vice versa are now completely seamless! Before you heard the center channel and then L/R info. Not anymore. Now they are integrated perfectly.
I made the leap to ACI about a 1.5 years ago and it's been totally worth it. At just under $350/pair for the Emerald kits I can't imagine anything outperforming them. And the top notch service is almost too good to be true! I guess that's why they've been in business since 1977!
www.audioc.com
Brian

Ben Yang

Grip
I looked at ACI's as well. The opal has garnered superb reviews from www.audioreview.com. The reason I chose speakerpage.com was the price and the service I received. As my first adventure into this, I didn't want to take too big a risk. Furthermore, I really liked the people there and thought they were honest and truly helpful.
The center channel is their own 3 way design that I decided to buy pre assembled given the added complexity of assembling a 3 way xc and installing 4 drivers.
The towers I ordered look like opals. Two way with a Vifa tweeter and 8" midwoofer ported design. Should be a fun project. (especially since my father-in-law is an expert woodworker and will be putting together the cabinets for me :)
This will be powered by a H/K 510 receiver, Philips dvd and Dish TV system. My rear channels are ancient Boston Acoustic A40's. Hopefully, with the H/K's ability to custom set speaker level this will all be well balanced. Now, the last thing to add will be a subwoofer...
Ben

Noel G

Auditioning
Last year, I built the Seas Njord (http://www.seas.no). It's a simple (the reason I chose it) two-way design with an 8" treated paper cone woofer and a 1" textile dome tweeter. I used crossover parts from NorthCreekMusic. These speakers sound good: smooth highs and decent lows. Female voices sound good and more so with rock and roll music.
The sensitivity of these speakers is low at 87dB. Not ideal for low-power systems.
I am now looking to build a three-way kit.
NOEL

Robert Silge

Agent
I'll second the ACI vote. I swapped plenty of e-mail with the owner of the company when I had concerns about the design of my sub. Great people to work with.
Brian, when are you making your emeralds? I might hit you up for some advise. I'll be making three of them this summer. What do you plan to do for a front screen? That's the one area I'm none too clear on (despite the FAQ at ACI). What are you building this pair for? Rears, or are the opals in a different room or something?
------------------
-Rob
My meager collection:
www.dvdtracker.com/~lazarus.asp

Mike Knapp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
I have built all my speakers from kits. I use http://www.adireaudio.com
They dont have to look this way, I took some artistic liscense with the appearance.
biggrin.gif

Good luck and enjoy the ride. Be sure to keep your hands and feet inside the vehicle at all times.
Mike

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Rob,
I'm not putting grills on my speakers at all. My wife even lets me get away with it! I'm building my Emeralds right now! I rounded over the edges of the cabinets today! These will be very similar to the new Sapphire III LE's that ACI is selling.
http://www.audioc.com/speakers/2001SapphireLE.htm
Because I am getting an Pioneer Elite 510 I no longer have room for my entertainment center. I had two subs built with the SV12 and PSA1 from ACI mounted in the bottom sides of the entertainment center. So I will be rebuilding the SV12's with the same finish as my Emeralds, which will sit atop the SV12 cabinets. My Opals will be moving into the spare bedroom which I'm turning into a computer/audio room. Maybe I can play around with acoustic wall treatments in there!
If you have any questions concerning the Emeralds feel free to e-mail be directly.
Brian
------------------

Ben Yang

Grip
Mike,
I take it you're NOT married? Or that your HT is tucked away several miles underground out of sight, in an abandoned nuclear fall out shelter?? (just kidding)
Terrific detail and artwork albeit LOUD. How do they sound?

Mike Knapp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Ben,
Married 14 years. My wife lets me get away with most anything in "my room". I am an artist and I have designed much of our furniture over the years, my tastes tend to be modern in orientation. She is used to it! :)
These speakers sound fabulous. So much so that I made a center and surrounds to match them. Well worth the effort. I will NEVER buy pre-made speakers again.
Mike

Ben Yang

Grip
What made you decide on Adire? There's lot's of kit companies online. Just wanted to know your decision making process.Thanks

Mike Knapp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
I had a great experience using their SHIVA subwoofer drivers in my Waterheater Sub. In fact, I didnt even know they made anything but subwoofers until I got ready to try to build my mains. I looked at their website and found the kit 281's and the rest was history. Dan wiggins helped me along every step of the way and I couldnt be happier with the end product or the service.
Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks