KIT 281s from the plans?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Clay Autery, Mar 31, 2002.

1. Clay Autery

Clay Autery Stunt Coordinator

Has anyone ever built the 281s from the plans and not the kit? I had 5 281s on order for my home theater, but just found out that the $1000.00 I had "saved" for the speakers had been otherwise appropriated by the boss (the wife).

I'll now either have to wait for a long time, or start building them from the plans: build the crossovers, buy a set of drivers, build all the cabinets, then buy the other components as the $$ becomes available.

Has anyone done it this way before?

Thanks,

2. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Have you tried pricing it out. I don't think you could get all the parts seperately for what Adire wants for the kits. Especially if you get on the group by that is supposed to be happening soon. $150USD per speaker kit for parts (drivers, crossover, mounting hardware).

3. Clay Autery

Apparantly, this is not an option as, incontrast to what their page says, the 281 plans PDF does NOT contain a parts list or schemeatic for the cross-overs or an electrical assembly schematic.

4. Clay Autery

Yeah, I KNOW the kits are cheaper than parts, but I can't afford to buy five kits right now.... I was actually trying to avoid the price increase to $184+ TOMORROW... but just don't have an extra $920+ on hand for the kits/vents PLUS cabinet materials.

Where's the info on this group purchase.... Maybe I could swing $150.00 per kit by the time the purchase goes in...

5. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Supporting Actor

6. Clay Autery

Thanks for the link! [​IMG]

7. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Couldn't you just order 2 kits and build the enclosures for all 5 at the same time. Then each time you get enough for another kit, buy and drop it in the finished enclosure.

8. Clay Autery

That's sortof what I meant earlier... Only I wanted to build the crossovers too. I'll HAVE to buy the kits now, since the crossover plans are not available.

That's cool... I'm going to find a way to get in on the group buy...