Kissology Bonus Discs

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
So this new KISS DVD sounds pretty cool -- it's similar to the Led Zeppelin and Iron Maiden sets that include a bunch of really old and rare footage. But they've done a ridiculous triple-dip with it. The first pressing comes with a third disc, but the bonus disc is different depending on where you get it! Each one contains part of a show from that era:
  • Walmart: Capital Centre, Largo, MD (12/20/77) Features 12 songs including Ladies Room and Rock and Roll All Nite.
  • Best Buy: Cobo Hall, Detroit, MI (1/25/76) Night 1 of a 3-night gig (night 2 is on one of the other DVDs in the set) Features 10 songs (minus encores) including a very rare performance of "Ladies In Waiting" from Dressed To Kill.
  • Everywhere else: MSG, New York, NY (2/18/77) KISS's first-ever show at MSG. Features 7 songs including Take Me, Let Me Go Rock 'N' Roll, and Nothin' To Lose.
My understanding is that this material has been available on bootlegs for years (so people are already familiar with it) -- can anyone recommend which is the best one to get?

Jonathan Peterson

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Peterson
Thanks Aaron for this info. I was wondering what was on the different bonus discs. I am going to get the set from Best Buy only because it is close to my work.
Mainly I want this set for the SF concert from '74.

Which Iron Maiden set are you referring to?

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I am probably going for the BB set too, since I'm going there anyway to get the new Who album and maybe some other stuff, but I have CC and Walmart also conveniently located (although my local Walmarts tend to have lame DVD pricing).

Still hoping for opinions though. . .

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
If you are a Maiden fan, then Iron Maiden Pt. 1: The Early Years is an absolute must-buy. It's got over 5 hours of content, from surprisingly un-cruddy Dianno-era concert footage to pro-shot videos from the Number of the Beast and Piece of Mind tours, plus a 90-minute documentary, a 25-minute 1980 British TV special on metal, and some interesting extras.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
I was thinking of NOT getting the Best Buy version, since the bonus disc is the first night from Cobo Hall in Detroit and the second night is already on the set. I was concerned that the two concerts might be too similar. So I think I may go with the Wal-mart version or perhaps the version from Madison Square Garden.

Jonathan Peterson

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Peterson
Thanks again Aaron for the Maiden info. I actually have that in my Netflix queue so I will bump it up. I look forward to seeing it.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

No problem! Always glad to spread the word.
Not too many people know about that set, but it's really great.

Jonathan Peterson

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Peterson
I have to say this is a really nice set. The booklet, packaging and content are first rate and all for under 20 bucks. I really look forward to the next volumes. This first concert I ever attended was them on their Animalize tour so I hope they release one of those shows. I also hope it includes the Fridays footage of them performing songs from Music From The Elder.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

Thanks -- that's what I've been hearing. Unfortunately, I'm also hearing that many Walmarts are not actually stocking it!

Charlie Kaus

Agent
Really? I hadn't heard that. I have heard that they are FLYING off the shelves. When my wife picked it up at Wal-Mart she said it was the only one they had. I'm not sure why Wal-Mart wouldn't be stocking it since they have a specific extra disc for their stores.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
It may be some combination of limited stock and fast sales -- I was just speculating based on hearing from people that they were having trouble finding it at Walmart earlier in the week.

BTW, for those in the area, the Super Walmart on Old Boynton in Boynton Beach had several copies as of this morning, and they were more than happy to match the $15.99 price in my Circuit City flyer.

(As a side note, they were also selling a 2-pack of the new Meat Loaf CD and the Classic Albums DVD on the making of the original Bat Out Of Hell, which is a great DVD, for $13 and change.)

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
I picked up Kissology at a local Wal Mart last week. I couldn't find it with the new releases or in the music section but I kept on looking. I finally found about 6 copies in a little hanging DVD wire basket type thing on an end cap behind where the rest of the music DVDs were. This particular store had it for $19 and change.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gullfo