What's new

KISS-The Definitive Box Set...Review (1 Viewer)

RicP

Screenwriter
Well, Over the weekend I picked up the box set of KISS-The Definitive Collection. This 5-CD Box set covers the entire KISS phenomenon from the beginning in 1974 to 2002's upcoming Kiss Alive IV.
The box set comes in two flavors, an oversized book-like case with the 5 CD's and a softcover book that is absolutely packed full of photographs and information. There is the telling of the Kiss Story as well as song by song commentary by the band (usually the primary songwriter). It's not all fluff either, the band talks about what they feel didn't work, or was poor, as well as what "kicked ass."
The other version is housed in an ersatz guitar case, complete with latches and handle. That one comes with a hardcover version of the same book. I opted for the less expensive Book-size version.
The box itself is beautiful. A hinged top, just like a rare book's traycase opens to reveal the book placed on top of the 5 CD's. The CD's are stacked in 2 levels in a die-cut red felt housing. The box material is very sturdy and the fromt has the KISS logo in raised metallic letters on a black frontplate. Very nice looking, and very professional.
Each CD is crammed full of tracks (most are over 78 mins). There are super rarities here and well known favorites. There are the "hits" taken right of the official CD's, and there are rarer live tracks and demo tracks. A lot of these are being released here officially for the very first time.
The 5 CD's are all in chronological order, so you can put all 5 in your CD changer and experience the entire Kiss saga in the order it happened.
The sound quality is fantastic, and I believe that the tracks that come from the official CD's are the same masters used in the recent excellent remaster releases of Kiss' early albums.
This is certainly the definitive box set for Kiss fans. If you have the official CD's, I'd keep them because there are tracks on those discs that do not appear here. I'm not sure if this set appeals to the casual Kiss fan because of all the early stuff and the rare and demo tracks included. Casual fans might be better suited with the 2 greatest hits collections instead. But for the real Kiss afficianado, this is as good as it's ever going to get.
:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: Highly Recommended!

Brad_W

Screenwriter
any pics of the two cases. This sounds awesome! Did you see them on their farewell tour? I did, absolutely amazing!

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
Uh, forgive my stupidity here Ric, but am I understanding correctly in that the 5 CD's contains ALL of KISS' albums? I'm not sure how many albums they've released (I'm a casual fan at best), but I'm sure it is certainly more than 5 CD's worth. Or does the box set just sample all the albums?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just answered my own question. Guess I should read your reviews a bit more carefully next time!

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
The guitar box:
B00005R72E.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Regular box:
B00005R72D.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
This one has been on my x-mas list since I heard about it...Can't wait.

Yes I am a pretty die hard hard fan, I have all there cds, and cassette tapes, I even have gene simons and ace frely dolls from the 70's, Kisstory the book...Can't wait to get it....

Very cool!

Thanks for the picks and the review.

R~

RicP

Screenwriter
Thanks for the pics Keith! :)
The bottom pic does not do the box justice, it is really very nice and well constructed.
The guiatr case is awesome, but it is close to $90 more than the other set with no additional content. $90 extra is a bit much for just a hard cover and a fancy case.

Tommy G

Screenwriter
Yep, picked up my copy of the box set last Tuesday at Best Buy for $54.99. I thought that was a pretty decent price for 6 hours of music plus the color booklet. They did do a decent job but because I am a KISS fan I have to be a little critical. I would have appreciated more live versions of songs that I know they have recordings of such as Ladies In Waiting from a Jan 1976 show and maybe Hooligan from '77 and Radioactive and Move On from '79. The sound on some of the rarities just blows you away though. All in all it was definitely money well spent and definitely not just another Double Platinum, Smashes Thrashes and Hits or Greatest KISS. :emoji_thumbsup:

Brad_W

Screenwriter
That looks awesome! I will definately pick this up. If the box is $54.99, how much is the guitar box?

Darren Davis

Stunt Coordinator
Brad, I went to the Farewell Tour. It was the best show I've ever been to. About the box set...looks like I'll have to scrounge up the dough to buy this one along with everything else I want. Those remasters are great.

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
Picked it up on Sunday. Absolutely loved it from front to back. Good mix of songs to represent the entire Kiss catalog from the beginning to now. Liked hearing some of the Wicked Lester stuff for te first time. All in all, a good set. Must have for any Kiss fan. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
The only draw back that ticked me off about this box set, was that on atleast 3 tracks(Unholy, Psycho Circus & Whitin),the fadeins of the songs are shortened or eliminated. :thumbsdown: :frowning: I guess they did it because of time limits on the discs.
Glad to see that Alive IV will finally see the light of day in April 2002, 2 years after it was supposed to come out.

DEAN DE FURIA

Stunt Coordinator
The Wicked Lester stuff is very cool. The version of "She" sounds like Jethro Tull! Only complaint: they didn't leave the intro to "Detroit Rock City". Oh well.

Russ Felton

Stunt Coordinator
I was wondering, did any of you who bought the set hear a very small sound drop on Track Six of Disc 2. It happens within the first two seconds of the song. It's one of the demo songs so I'm not sure if it's supposed to be there or not.

Russ

Tommy G

Screenwriter
Russ, I tried listening but didn't hear the drop out. I did hear a beep or something during 100,000 Years however. What song is it that you hear this in?

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
The Wicked Lester stuff is very cool. The version of "She" sounds like Jethro Tull!
Pardon my ignorance, but who or what is Wicked Lester? I was thinking of picking up this box, but if the original version of She isn't included, I think I'll pass. That's probably my favorite KISS song.

I guess Double Platinum is still the best compilation for casual fans.

Tommy G

Screenwriter
Greg, I don't think the boxset is for the casual fan because there is a lot of obscure stuff in there. This is for the fans who wanted to hear some of the unreleased stuff that is out there as well as some rare live material. If you're looking for a compilation of just some of there best stuff, Double Platinum or Greatest KISS would probably be the better route to take.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks