What's new

Kiss Symphony...wow! (1 Viewer)

Dean L

Stunt Coordinator
Fantastic, one of the best looking concert DVD's I have seen!
Miss labled as DD/DTS 5.1, it is actaly DD/DTS 4.1 (no center), nonetheless, it sounds SUPERB!
Plain ass just R O C K S !

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
I am one of the biggest fans out there...now I have to check this one out.

Scott Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator
I didn't like it at all because there was way too much showing of the crowd during the songs. I think it took away from the KISS performance.

Tommy G

Screenwriter
This is awfully tempting for a purchase but I just don't watch concert dvds enough to warrant a purchase. I'm looking forward to borrowing it from my friend though :D .

Tom Martin

Stunt Coordinator
i won't buy it simply because ace is not on it. they have a scab guitarist and kiss try to pass him off as ace.

BrianS

Stunt Coordinator
I watched the first disc of this set this weekend. I came away with mixed feelings.

The behind the scenes stuff is very interesting. It was cool to see Kiss rehearsing with the symphony & you can see that it is just not coming together in the beginning. After after tweaking it & more practice, they sound great together. The stage set-up is HUGE!

It is really cool to watch the faces of the members of the symphony. In the beginning, they look like they want to throw up. They don't look like they are having much fun. Once they get into the make-up the night of the show, they seem a little more relaxed. By the end of the show, members are sticking their tongues out, waving their hands in the air & are having a ball!

It is great having Peter back but I really miss Ace. I know everyone says neither he nor Peter can play as well as their stand-ins but it just doesn't seem the same when one of them is missing. There is no mention of Ace at all on the first disc. Peter seems to really be having fun though.

The actual concert is decent but the editing is terrible. It seems the editor went to the MTV-style school of editing and can't keep the camera on something for more than one second. It really started to get on my nerves. It is like this throughout the concert.

I was also disappointed with the sound. I couldn't tell much of a difference between the DD & the DTS tracks. As one of the posters said before, it is 4.1 but it is really stereo with some crowd noise in the rear speakers. I was not impressed with the sound mixing at all. There seems to be little low frequency & a lot of it just sounds...well...muddled.

Do You Love Me and Great Expectations sounded great with the symphony. For Expectations, they brought out a children's choir in make-up.

All-in-all...an average Kiss disc. Not terrible but not great either. Watching it made me wish for some dvd releases of the guys in their prime around '74 to '76. A disc of the Hotter Than Hell tour would make my day! Gene and Paul are really starting to show their age. Plump bellies & faces don't help. Jeez, they are around their early to mid-50's but I guess it is impressive that they still get out there and tour. They really need to change the costumes. Poor Peter needs to get out of that leotard!

I do look forward to watching the second disc. I will post some info on it after I watch it if anyone is interested.

Tommy G

Screenwriter

Brian, there is a disc out of a tremendous performance in New Jersey in '76. I got this from dvdempire

Ricky Hustle

Supporting Actor
I was a huge Kiss fan back in the day. I bought this DVD for nostalgic purposes. I sold it after watching one hour of footage. The editing is terrible, and nauseating. No cut lasts longer than 3 seconds. This might work for a 3 minute music video, but an entire concert? Each song contains about 100 cuts, 1/2 of them to the crowd. The sound mix is pretty good though.

Beware this DVD, if anyone can sit thru the entire thing in one session, more power to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks