Kiss of the Vampire

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Robert Dunnill, Aug 1, 2003.

1. Robert Dunnill

Robert Dunnill Second Unit

I have the OOP DVD release of Kiss of the Vampire. According to the details on the packaging, it is supposed to be formatted in 1.66:1, but it looks like to be more like 1.85:1.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks, RD

2. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    Well, you're right, it is framed closer to 1.85:1. I believe most if not all of the earlier Hammers should be framed at 1.66:1. There has been discussion about HORROR OF DRACULA being clearly overmatted, for instance.

3. Robert Dunnill

Robert Dunnill Second Unit

I checked a screen capture against one from Romy and Michele's High School Reunion, and the heights matched exactly.

So much for truth in advertising! Doesn't anyone check these things before they go into mass replication?

MAR strikes again! [​IMG]

RD

4. Stephen PI

Stephen PI Supporting Actor

A friend of mine asked Alan Hume, the film's cinematographer, and he confirmed that 1.66:1 is the correct aspect ratio for "Kiss of the Vampire". The present dvd is incorrect despite what it says on the packaging. Hopefully Universal will eventually create a new 16x9 transfer. I suppose it is too early to tell if Universal will apply Warner and MGM's rule about mastering 1.66 in 16x9.