Kiss of the Dragon - the surrounds are alive!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Rock, Jan 23, 2002.

1. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

If you like your movies with lots of action in the surround channels, this is the movie for you. Of course, you also have to like action movies, too.

This movie, more than most in recent memory, has a lot of rear-channel effects, including voices, music and all the other stuff (bullet ricochets, roundhouse kicks, etc).

Oh, and it has lots of BASS too!

2. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Does it have any treble? I like lots of treble.

3. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

(Sorry, I'm in an overly sarcastic mood today.)

4. Rolando

Rolando Screenwriter

no need to apologize, I thought that was very funny. I might actually steal that and use it in another thread [​IMG]
    and I am not kidding about that [​IMG]

5. Tim Shumway

Tim Shumway Auditioning

Just watched it last night and I must say the entire mix is incredibly good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!One of the best Ive heard in quite a while

6. Luis A

Luis A Second Unit

Watched this last night also. Very aggressive mix. Makes me wonder if this is what "Enter the Dragon" could have sound like if it had been made today.[​IMG]
    L

7. Ben_S

Ben_S Agent

Great movie and great disc. I had hoped to see my favorite director, Luc Besson, behind the scenes or in an interview but I guess he likes to remain enigmatic. [​IMG]

8. Steeve Bergeron

Steeve Bergeron Cinematographer

Steeve Bergeron
    I'll get this movie for sure. I'm a big fan of Bridget Fonda! [​IMG]

9. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

Bridgett Fonda plays a junkie hooker in this movie...not all that appealing.
    So don't get it if you're expecting [​IMG]

10. Steeve Bergeron

Steeve Bergeron Cinematographer

Steeve Bergeron
    I know, I saw the movie. I still like her, even in that role. I dunno, that girl really does it for me. In pretty much any role!

11. Josh_Hill

Josh_Hill Screenwriter

So, this flick is pretty good? Does it have a lot of CGI wire-fu? I hate the computer wires and stuff. I'll probably pick it up today or this weekend.

12. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Supporting Actor

Actually Donny, I don't recall seeing ANY wire-fu whatsoever, so it's either well disguised or minimal. Instead of all the camera trickery of Romeo Must Die, Kiss of the Dragon is more of a straight martial arts movie.
    And it's just wall-to-wall action. I haven't seen it since the summer, but that sounds about right. Hands down my favorite summer movie, if only in terms of pure fun factor. I'll definitely be picking it up soon.
    Best scenes:
    - The laundry room of the hotel
    - The police station
    Those of you who've seen it know what I mean [​IMG]

13. Ben_S

Ben_S Agent

IMO, this was the best movie of the summer next to A.I.
    Will you like the movie? Well, if you're a Luc Besson fan, you should definately pick it up. His fingerprints are all over it.
    If you're a Jet Li fan, you'll probably hate this movie and every other movie he does because 'it's not like Fist of Legend'. [​IMG]
    If you're an action fan, you will love it. Lot's of hardcore action from beginning to end. There's a scene near the end where he enters a room with about 30 police officers practicing martial arts and... uhh... well see for yourself. [​IMG]

14. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

I was glad to see that they avoided using wire-fu, and that they wisely chose to let the camera linger long enough so you could really appreciate Jet Li's skill (unlike Romeo Must Die). But... do we really need to have rap music in every kung-fu movie now? That was my only complaint, because other than that, this movie kicks some serious ass!

15. AJ Johnson

AJ Johnson Stunt Coordinator

The sound mix is very aggressive to my surprise because when I saw this movie in theaters it didn't sound anything like this. The sound mix in the theater was weak and that theater's sound system is top notch so I thought it was the fault of the movie.

The punches, kicks and gunshots gave my sub a good workout. I also liked hearing roundhouse kicks coming from the surround channel..it sounded like they were whooshing over my head. The part where Li is fighting in the laundry room and the girl's scream came from my surround channel scared the hell outta me. It actually made me turn around.

There's no wire-fu at all in this one. The fighting was basically hardcore streetfighting ala Bruce Lee. My only gripe with this movie was the twins were underused. The short blonde twin should have been Jet Li's antagonist throughout the movie. That guy had some nice skills.

16. Rob_C

Rob_C Stunt Coordinator

No wire-fu. Just straight street brawling. Great flick. I saw it at the movies but haven't picked the disc up yet.

17. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Hold the phone! You mean to tell me that Luc Besson directed this piece of trash! Are we talking about the same man who bought us 'The Professional' and 'The Fifth Element'!?[​IMG]
    Luc, what the hell happened!!??

18. Jerry Gracia

Jerry Gracia Supporting Actor

Boy was I sorely disappointed with KISS OF THE DRAGON. I thought this would be a big improvement over ROMEO MUST DIE, instead it was only marginally better...which isn't saying much.
    The movie worked for me when it stuck to what it did best, great fighting/action sequences. Compared to Li's previous american movies this one better showcases Li's ability as a martial artists...the scene in the police station where he took on an entire kung fu class was remiscent of the kind of action you see in Bruce Lee movies, very good stuff.
    It seriously faltered when it tried to become a dramatic academy award contender. They spent too much time on the mother/daughter story, it didn't work.
    I also took issue with the rap music "score". I mean, c'mon...they're in PARIS (or was it FRANCE?) for christ sakes, not in an inner city!
    When is jet Li gonna be in a good movie!?
    Other than Lethal Weapon 4, he's done nothing but bad movies, IMO.
    KISS OF THE DRAGON
    [​IMG] (out of 4)
    Other than for seeing a few good fight sequences, avoid like the plaque!

19. Rob_C

Rob_C Stunt Coordinator

The rap music did take away from the movie. That was really my only major complaint with the film.

Luc Besson did not direct it he just produced it.

20. JasonKrol

JasonKrol Supporting Actor

has anyone seen The One with Li? How was that? I heard bad things about KotD but from what I can read here its worth a rent..im wondering how The One faired though.

thanks!