"Kiss Of Death" (1995) on DVD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MichaelPe, Mar 7, 2002.

1. MichaelPe

MichaelPe Screenwriter

Any idea when Fox will release this underrated classic on DVD? I know it's available in Germany (R2), but I'm really looking forward to seeing this film on R1 DVD.

2. Marty Lockstead

Marty Lockstead Second Unit

Hey Michael, I'm with you! Although it wasn't one of the main reasons for buying a laserdisc player back in December, I'm glad to have found a copy of the 1995 Kiss of Death in widescreen for only ten bucks. I wish I could tell you when it will get released, but I guess all good things come to those who wait.[​IMG]

3. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

I like this film too, but also wish Fox would put out the sorely underrated "Blood & Wine" with Jack Nicholson, Michael Caine and Jennifer Lopez when she knew how to underplay movie roles.

4. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

I'd never even realized that this movie wasn't on DVD yet!
    Now I HAVE to have it! [​IMG]
    Nicolas Cage
    Samuel L. Jackson
    David Caruso
    Helen Hunt
    Stanley Tucci
    Philip Baker Hall
    Michael Rapaport
    Ving Rhames
    Hope Davis
    Kathryn Erbe
    Anthony Heald
    Anne Meara
    Now that's a cast! I'm not going out on a limb to say the original is a better film, but this is a remake that I really enjoyed. And we all know how rare a good remake can be. (My apologies to fans of the "new" Psycho, Haunting, Planet of the Apes or Rollerball.) [​IMG]

5. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter

Marty,
    I may have to borrow that laserdisc from you one of these days, I'd love to check it out again. (Oh the thrill of having the new TV and being able to actually watch laserdiscs on them!) I haven't seen this film since 1995, when Chris Gaunt and myself were wee little guys eager to get into 14a films.
    Scott, anything with Philip Baker Hall makes it a dream cast, doesn't matter who is around them. And yes, kids, that includes "Three O'Clock High". Look what that film did for Casey Simaesko, Anne Ryan and Richard Tyson. [​IMG]
    Jason

6. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    I agree that this film was underrated. People seemed to have an axe to grind with Caruso at the time which probably had something to do with it. I would still rather have the 1947 original with Victure Mature and the performance that put Richard Widmark on the map, but this remake was much better than one would be led to believe by its box-office performance and critical reception.

Regards,

7. Daniel P

Daniel P Stunt Coordinator

It's out on region r, with a 2 channel sound mix.

Pretty bad video transfer too.

As far as the film goes, I'm not a fan. I saw it only 6 months ago, and was disappointed - with such a great cast.

8. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

I'd buy it, as I was a fan of the remake. It just plain works well. One of Caruso's better efforts.

9. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

This would be a no-brainer for me as well. I have LDs of the '95 version and Blood and Wine ( mentioned by Mark earlier in this thread ), but would love to see nice DVDs of both films. Both of these titles are very underrated and deserve to gain wider audiences. Loved Nick Cage as Little Junior Brown in KOD. 'clean up your own backyard'
    Fox has been releasing more catalog titles, and has been releasing '40s films from the war genre. I certainly wish they would start releasing noirs including the classic '47 version of Kiss of Death. Patience is a virtue. (sigh)
    - Walter.