kiss me, stupid original version?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by george kaplan, Jul 25, 2003.

1. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

I just got through watching the dvd of Kiss Me, Stupid, and it includes a so-called 'alternate' take. But on my laser disc, this film presented is the one with the 'alternate take', and so for me, that scene as it appears integrated into the film on the dvd was new to me.

So, my question is, which version was the original theatrical release, the ld version or the dvd version? Any help is appreciated.

2. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

I haven't watched the DVD yet, but the answer for this question is a little gray.

If the version that is on the DVD is different from the LD than they have integrated the new scene into the movie and put the original scene as an extra. The scene that was integrated was the original scene and was the scene that was used in the rest of the world. Wilder was forced to reshoot the scene in order to help appease "The Catholic Legion of Decency". In the long run, they still ended up forbidding Catholics to see the movie which really pissed off Wilder.

I'm a little sad that they reintigrated that scene because I prefer the American recut version.

3. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

I saw the original version of the film before the re-shot ending and before some of the dialogue was redubbed. I haven't picked up the DVD yet.

4. george kaplan

That's interesting.

The scene on the ld makes it at least somewhat vague as to whether they slept together, as he falls asleep during a maassage. On the scene on the dvd cut, they begin kissing, and then it fades to black.

So, it sounds like the ld cut would be the one that Wilder was forced to use, and the dvd cut was his original version, but not the U.S. theatrical release.

5. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

George,

You are exactly right. I'm amazed that you were able to interpret my post. I actually prefer the reshot version because it is more vague and I feel that Wilder was at his best when he wasn't allowed to be so direct.

Either way, I really love this movie and it sounds like I now have a reason to hold on to my LD, if only for a complete cut of the edited version.

I wish that they would have done this with seamless branching.

6. george kaplan

Agreed.