Kiss Me Kate: is it in original aspect ratio (or open matte at least)?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by JoeJ, Aug 9, 2005.

1. JoeJ

JoeJ Agent

My mother's favourite film is Kiss Me Kate, and I'm pondering on importing the Region 1 DVD for her (isn't available on the shiny disc format over here in England). I understand that the DVD is presented in fullscreen, but IMDb states the film's aspect ratio is 1:85:1. To make things more confusing, no reference to "pan and scan" is mentioned in the IMDb DVD details page. Was Kiss Me Kate simply an open matte production or is the DVD pan and scan?

2. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

That is a complicated issue in regards to this film. You'll find the answer by searching on the film's title, there is an existing thread which covers it in detail.

It's modified on DVD in any case since it isn't presented in 3-D...

3. TedD

TedD Supporting Actor

To save you from wading through the hundreds of posts that led to Warners re-issuing the DVD with the proper framing, the answer is: Open Matte (If you have have the corrected version). P&S (Vertically and Horizontally) if you have the original version....

Ted

4. GregK

GregK Screenwriter

What makes a KISS ME KATE DVD purchase a pain is there are two pressings. The first one was zoomed in to varying degrees throughout the feature. The 2nd pressing corrects this error and also adds a deleted 3-D scenes section (presented in 2-D ..like the feature). Once you confirm your version has the deleted 3-D scenes section in the menu, you then know you have the corrected 2nd pressing. The big downside is there are still a large number of the first pressing DVDs still on the shelves. And there is no way to tell which version is being sold, as the disc art on the repress is identical to the first one.

5. GregoryMesh

GregoryMesh Supporting Actor

Gregory Mesh
  6. JoeJ

JoeJ Agent

If I order online, will I be safe? [​IMG]

7. DeeF

DeeF Screenwriter

Mmm, I think they only sell the corrected version now.

8. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

Don't count on it! You still have a very good chance of getting the original pressing as there was no recall.

If you do, however, exchanging it through Warner is pretty simple. I got mine in a week.

9. David Weicker

David Weicker Cinematographer

David
    I posted on the other thread as well.

I received the Cole Porter set for Christmas 2004. It had the incorrect Kiss Me Kate. I sent emails in January and in February 2005, and never received an answer. I also asked for help on this forum, but didn't get any responses.

I am wondering, is the disc replacement program still in effect? Or was it only for people who got the incorrect pressings early in 2004? Reading through the posts on this thread and on the other thread, it appears that no replacements have been sent out this year.

I would love to be proved wrong.

David Weicker