Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang

Discussion in 'Movies' started by mattCR, Oct 22, 2005.

1. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    Premiered here locally at the Screenland (screenland.com) much better then I expected it to be.. pretty well done, actually. Very different.

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

A wildly entertaining riff (almost a parody, but not quite) on film noir, detective stories, buddy action films and the Hollywood rat race. As the screenwriter of (among other things) the original Lethal Weapon and The Last Boy Scout, writer and first-time director Shane Black knows the territory, and in Robert Downey, Jr., he has the perfect lead for sending up the cliches while engaging the audience and keeping the plot intelligible (but just barely). From the opening shot looking up from beneath the water of a swimming pool (Sunset Boulevard, anyone?) down to the closing joke about the credits, you can spend all of your time spotting the references and in-jokes, but then you'd miss the fun of Downey's sly performance in a film that's even willing to use his infamous drug problems as comic fodder. And Val Kilmer is perfect as a character that could only exist in the movies: a Hollywood detective named Perry who teaches actors how to behave like a private eye and, for no particular reason, happens to be gay (maybe it's for the joke of his nickname, "Gay Perry"; say it with the emphasis on the last syllable). Very silly, and a lot of fun.

M.

3. Jason Walstrom

Jason Walstrom Supporting Actor

I can't wait to see this it looks great and i've been waiting for a new Shane Black penned flick for awhile and this one he directs! I'm there.

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

If you can handle Pulp Fiction-like violence and dialogue, then this is a must-see film for you. I think I must have laughed at 2/3 of the dialogue coming out of Val Kilmer's mouth, that's a helluva ratio. Downey Jr. is also spot-on, and delivers his lines for comedic paydirt time after time.

I give it 3.5 stars, or a grade of B+.

5. Nicholas Vargo

Nicholas Vargo Second Unit

Nicholas Vargo
    I agree. I saw the film last Thursday and laughed a lot. I also thought that that was supported well by the action as well, but the satire was spot on. There was so much to digest, but thanks to Robert Downey Jr., Val Kilmer, and writer/director Shane Black, it all plays out wonderfully. In fact, I think it's my favorite film of the year, and it will most likely show up on my Top 10 list this year. Then again, I haven't seen a lot of movies this year, due to shortage of money, so I've been screwed out of seeing a lot of films this year, but above all of the ones I have seen, "Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang" is probably my favorite film of the year. A wildly uproarious action comedy that never lets up.

My rating: **** out of ****

6. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    I have to see this one. [​IMG]

7. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    A fun movie with some funny performances, scenes and dialogue, but in the end it didn't all hang together for me. A case where the whole was less than the sum of its parts.

8. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This film was so much fun that I noticed myself laughing throughout the entire film. A big thumb's up from me.[​IMG]

Crawdaddy

9. Brian.L

Brian.L Supporting Actor

Like a film-noir/action Lebowski, though it didn't balance the funny and the brutal as much. Still worth it for the performances and the great lines though.

"You know what you'd find in dictionary under the word 'idiot'?"
    "A picture of me?"
    "No, you'd find the definition of idiot, which is what you f****ing are!"

Brilliant. Hopefully, in the same way as Lebowski, it will become a cult hit, because as far as I know, hardly anyone is going to this. Maybe the stupid name?

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]/[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. RichardK

RichardK Second Unit

I saw this movie last night. I got my wife to see it over Pride&Prejudice and my brother and his wife to see it over Walk the Line.

It seemed to me like a fun movie and it did not disappoint!

All of the acting was great. A very engagin movie.

Everyone in the theater was having a great time and the movie drew some pretty good applause from the audience when the credits began to roll.

Go see it!

11. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

I thought one guy in the theater was going to roll down the aisle because he was laughing so hard at some of the scenes.

12. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Has the wide release been cancelled? I'd hoped to see it, but it never played anywhere near me.

13. RodneyT

RodneyT Stunt Coordinator

Saw this on Saturday just gone, and loved it. Thought RDJ was fantastic, and the script just sizzled. One of my friends just sat there waiting for the film to end, but then he's a movie philistine and thought Thin Red Line was a great film. Urgh. I guess this means we have different tastes in film.

Still, KKBB is a terrificaly fun movie, with plenty of humour and violence to keep both sides of the viewing public happy.

Great stuff!!!!

14. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    If you're anywhere near Kansas City, you should check it out and give credit to Screenland for running it again (http://www.screenland.com/) one of the better movie experiences anywhere in the city. (I love theaters with barco loungers, liquor, and 21+ only admittance).

Anyway, if you at all had interest, I'd give it a check and catch it this weekend in the right setting [​IMG]

Runtimes here: http://www.screenland.com/theatre/kkbb.html

15. Brett_B

Brett_B Supporting Actor

I guess some areas were better for this film than others.

It only lasted one week at the theater I attend regularly. In fact, the first showing it had was at 9:00 pm on opening Friday (which I attended), and I was shocked to see that I was the only one in the theater.