What's new

Kismet (1955) (1 Viewer)

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Yes but, supposedly, we are getting the original experience when we get these tracks on 4.0 or 5.1.

A lot of scope stero films from warners in the fifties are limited stereo. the dialogue seems to stay in the center and most of the effects. Only the music is stereo.
There are, of course, exceptions.
Example - two films from Warner Brothers in the same year - 1957 - Sayonara and Spirit of st.Louis. Both have music by Franz Waxman and the same recording team.
Sayonara is three track stereo with no surrounds and almost everything - dialogue and effects are in the center but the music is stereo.
Spirit of St. louis has stereo dialogue, stereo effects (a lot of them) and a full surround.

I was raised in a small town in upstate New York, Elmira, and we had four large theaters that had full stereo sound with surrounds. The owner of these theaters, Tom Roberts, was fanatical about stereo films. I went every Saturday and stayed to watch the film twice - first time sitting almost in the front row, so I could hear the wide stereo sound - the second time to sit in the balcony right under the surround speakers.
things sound very different in a big theater. While the surrounds on the dvds of Sound of Music are the same as in the film, but in every theater I have seen this film, the surrounds are far louder than they are on the dvd.

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
Still waiting and hoping that this MGM musical will be released one day on dvd...along with STUDENT PRINCE, DEEP IN MY HEART, TWO WEEKS WITH LOVE, GREAT CARUSO.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks