1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Kirk Douglas Passed Away at 103!

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Robert Crawford, Feb 5, 2020.

1. Bernard McNair

Bernard McNair Second Unit

Bernard McNair
    A great actor in so many fine films. The essentials such as Spartacus, Paths of Glory and Lust for Life for example but great fun in many others such as Posse, War Wagon, The Vikings and 20,000 Leagues under the Sea. A great legacy for future generations; RIP and many thanks Mr. Douglas.
    TCM have just posted a good TCM Remembers honouring his work.

2. Nick*Z

Nick*Z Screenwriter

NICK
    Legends do pass their prime, but that never alters the legend for the rest of us.

In every sense of the word, ‘legend’ seems grotesquely inadequate to summarize the overwhelming importance of Kirk Douglas, the man, the star, and the humanitarian. In 103 years, he managed to dominate our social consciousness with that indomitable spirit; willful, determined and ever-defiant of the obstacles set before him. He was a man – yes.

But oh, what a god-like grace and presence he showed to the world when pressed to the task.

There are too few men of such caliber in the world today. And, not surprisingly, there will never be another Kirk Douglas!

God speed, God bless, and thoughts and prayers to the entire Douglas family.

3. Message #23 of 45 Feb 6, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
    Garysb

Garysb Producer

TCM Remembers .....Kirk Douglas

I am sure TCM will have a day of movie tribute but not until after their 31 days of Oscar, which they never interrupt. In the meanwhile
    On Tuesday February 11
    4:15 AM
    STRANGE LOVE OF MARTHA IVERS, THE ( 1946)

Years after a murder drove them apart, an heiress tries to win back her lost love.

Dir: Lewis Milestone Cast: Barbara Stanwyck , Van Heflin , Lizabeth Scott .

BW- 115 mins, CC,

11:00 PM
    BAD AND THE BEAUTIFUL, THE ( 1952)

An unscrupulous movie producer uses everyone around him in his climb to the top.

Dir: Vincente Minnelli Cast: Elaine Stewart , Sammy White , Leo G. Carroll .

BW- 118 mins, CC, followed by

February 12-
    1:15 AM

LUST FOR LIFE ( 1956)

Passionate biography of painter Vincent van Gogh, whose genius drove him mad.

Dir: Vincente Minnelli Cast: Kirk Douglas , Anthony Quinn , James Donald .

C- 122 mins, CC, Letterbox Format

All times Eastern Standard

4. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    AshJW and dpippel like this.
  5. RICK BOND

RICK BOND Second Unit

RICK
    Glad he lived a Very Long Life. One of my Favorite American actors. There is only 1 Spartacus ! Kirk Douglas.

6. AshJW

AshJW Screenwriter

Thomas
    What a career, what a great actor, what a man!

My brother and I always loved to watch his movies from a young age on. Driving force was our dad who watched many movies back in the fifties, when he was young.

May he rest in peace.

7. ponset

ponset Second Unit

scott
    I will be watching Kirk in "The War Wagon", "Lonely are the Brave", "Out of the Past", and "Ace in the Hole".
    Plus I will listen to some of Kirk's Old Time Radio appearances: Screen Director's Playhouse(Champion) and 3 episodes of SUSPENSE("Community Property, The Butcher's Wife, and The Story of Markhams Death).

REST IN PEACE!

DouglasChampion.

8. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    Peyton Reed shared a picture of Kirk Douglas on the set of Ant-Man & the Wasp. Yes, Kirk Douglas visited the set. I think that's very cool.

[​IMG]

(This is from Peyton Reed's Twitter account. I guess I don't know how to embed a tweet.)

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  9. David_B_K

David_B_K Advanced Member

David
    Even though it is a favorite, I hald off ordering the Blu-ray of The Bad and the Beautiful and was planning to get it on a Warner sale. But with Kirk's passing, I decided I have to see his performance again as Jonathan Shields right now. My disc is supposed to arrive today. I always liked how Kirk Douglas invested his unsympathetic roles with so much charm and likeability.

10. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    What I really liked about Douglas is his willingness to play such roles. Some acting icons only played the "good guy", but Douglas was willing to play the "bad" guy.

David_B_K and dpippel like this.
  11. filmnoirguy

filmnoirguy Stunt Coordinator

Lon Cross
    He gave 2 great performances in 1951, including Ace in the Hole, and didn't get an Oscar nod for either one.

atcolomb likes this.
  12. atcolomb

atcolomb Screenwriter

Angelo
    Never saw The Bad and the Beautiful but TCM did broadcast the film recently and it's on my dvr so I will watch it soon.

13. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    You're in for a cinematic treat.

Tony Bensley and atcolomb like this.
  14. rdimucci

rdimucci Stunt Coordinator

Robert DiMucci
  15. Message #35 of 45 Feb 12, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
    Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    The amazing thing about his talent is that he gave all of his characters an inner life without ever needing to telegraph it. You could watch a movie with him as a hero or villain, but never felt that the character was doing things just because the script needed him to. He took the written word and made you believe what his characters were saying and feeling were coming from somewhere deep within, and not just out of a typewriter. He never quite disappears in the same way movie stars don’t, but instead makes you believe that Kirk Douglas could have become that character instead of an actor. You believed him. Though Michael is in many ways a much different actor, he has that same quality.

David_B_K and dpippel like this.
  16. Garysb

Garysb Producer

TCM will have 24 hours of Kirk Douglas movies beginning March 5 at 6 AM Eastern.

5 THURSDAY
    6:00 AM
    STRANGE LOVE OF MARTHA IVERS, THE ( 1946)

Years after a murder drove them apart, an heiress tries to win back her lost love.

Dir: Lewis Milestone Cast: Barbara Stanwyck , Van Heflin , Lizabeth Scott .

BW- 115 mins, CC,

8:00 AM
    TWO WEEKS IN ANOTHER TOWN ( 1962)

A recovering alcoholic film director tries for a comeback in Rome.

Dir: Vincente Minnelli Cast: Kirk Douglas , Edward G. Robinson , Cyd Charisse .

C- 107 mins, CC, Letterbox Format

10:00 AM
    STORY OF THREE LOVES, THE ( 1953)

Passengers on an ocean liner recall their greatest loves.

Dir: Gottfried Reinhardt Cast: James Mason , Moira Shearer , Agnes Moorehead .

C- 122 mins, CC,

12:15 PM
    ALONG THE GREAT DIVIDE ( 1951)

A U.S. Marshall tries to get a rustler to trial before a vengeful rancher can kill him.

Dir: Raoul Walsh Cast: Kirk Douglas , Virginia Mayo , John Agar .

BW- 88 mins, CC,

2:00 PM
    OUT OF THE PAST ( 1947)

A private eye becomes the dupe of a homicidal moll.

Dir: Jacques Tourneur Cast: Robert Mitchum , Jane Greer , Kirk Douglas .

BW- 97 mins, CC,

3:45 PM
    YOUNG MAN WITH A HORN ( 1950)

A young trumpet player is torn between an honest singer and a manipulative heiress.

Dir: Michael Curtiz Cast: Kirk Douglas , Lauren Bacall , Doris Day .

BW- 112 mins, CC,

5:45 PM
    LUST FOR LIFE ( 1956)

Passionate biography of painter Vincent van Gogh, whose genius drove him mad.

Dir: Vincente Minnelli Cast: Kirk Douglas , Anthony Quinn , James Donald .

C- 122 mins, CC, Letterbox Format

8:00 PM
    PATHS OF GLORY ( 1958)

A military lawyer comes to question the status quo when he defends three men accused of cowardice.

Dir: Stanley Kubrick Cast: Fred Bell , John Stein , Harold Benedict .

BW- 88 mins, CC,

9:45 PM
    SPARTACUS ( 1960)

A slave leads a rebellion against the Roman Empire.

Dir: Stanley Kubrick Cast: Kirk Douglas , Laurence Olivier , Jean Simmons .

C- 196 mins, CC, Letterbox Format

1:15 AM
    LIVE FROM THE TCM CLASSIC FILM FESTIVAL: MICHAEL DOUGLAS ( 2018)

Michael Douglas discusses his career in front of a live audience.

Dir:

C- 64 mins, CC,

2:30 AM
    BAD AND THE BEAUTIFUL, THE ( 1952)

An unscrupulous movie producer uses everyone around him in his climb to the top.

Dir: Vincente Minnelli Cast: Elaine Stewart , Sammy White , Leo G. Carroll .

BW- 118 mins, CC,

4:45 AM
    SEVEN DAYS IN MAY ( 1964)

An American military officer discovers his superiors are planning a military coup.

Dir: John Frankenheimer Cast: Burt Lancaster , Kirk Douglas , Fredric March .

BW- 118 mins, CC,

17. David_B_K

David
    Still in a Kirk Douglas mood, I followed The Bad and the Beautiful with the blu-ray of John Sturges classic western Gunfight at the OK Corral. Once again KD was playing a potentially unsympathetic character (Doc Holliday), yet still instilling the character with redeeming qualities and charm. Kirk pretty much dominates every scene he is in. All of his trademark style markers are in place, from ferocious intensity to good-humored charm. On a technical level, he obviously worked on the character's cough, because he really sells the idea that he is really sick and cannot control the coughing when he gets into one of his fits.

This is an incredibly enjoyable film, IMO. It is very "50's western" in its style. It's not terrible realistic, and everything and everyone looks cleaner than they would have been, and it only barely covers the outline of the Earp/Holliday/Clanton story. Burt Lancaster plays Wyatt Earp as a paragon of virtue. In spite of the 50's artificiality, Kirk achieves a fairly realistic portrayal of Holiday. I never tire of seeing this movie. When Dimitri Tiomkin's thunderous brass opening appears over the Paramount logo, I feel like I'm a kid in a big movie theater about to watch a slick entertainment made by professionals at the top of their game.

Cineman, dpippel and Steve Christou like this.
  18. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    Well said! As a bonus, the Blu-ray presentation is top-notch.

19. Message #39 of 45 Feb 13, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    Cineman

Cineman Second Unit

David B.
    I agree with everything you said about Gunfight at the OK Corral, Kirk Douglas in it and the effect it had on me as a kid in the theater, watching it on the big screen in its initial run and ever since on tv and home video. Those are actually scary opening shots, credits and music. Especially from the second row of a packed theater, where I first saw it at age 5! lol. It was one of my earliest movie-going experience memories. Maybe my earliest.

Douglas discusses the challenge of that coughing characteristic for the Doc Holliday role in his highly entertaining autobiography, The Ragman's Son. He was very mindful of the idea that he could not cough in every shot or even in every scene. It would become too annoying and distracting for the audience. He also could not allow too many scenes to pass by where he doesn't cough and then have one come out of nowhere after the audience had forgotten he was supposed to be sick. And the way a movie is made where scenes are shot out of order in terms of time and location, you can imagine how tricky it was to know exactly when and where to do it in order to sell the idea that he was chronically sick without so much as one of those coughs intruding or distracting from the larger point of a scene.

He planned each and every one of them in advance for size, length and quantity as precisely as he could for the betterment of the movie and his character without overdoing or underdoing it. Yet, as you pointed out, it is utterly believable that they are coming out of him as naturally uncontrollably as they would for someone in such a condition.

I think his performance in that movie is one of his very best and a true masterclass on film acting precision, craftsmanship and artistry. There is not a flick of an eyelash or a placement of a pinkie finger that is out of line with the character and does not add depth and insight to it as well as make the movie immeasurably more watchable and better.

David_B_K likes this.
  20. David_B_K

David
    Wow, that is fascinating info on how Douglas built that characterization! It is a truly great performance. I guess it gets a bit overlooked because it was "just a western" to some people. I did not see it as a kid. It came out about a year after I was born. But I feel like a kid at the movies because it is the larger than life kind of movie I loved to see as a kid. I'm normally annoyed when films based on history stray too far from fact, but I see this movie as kind of a "fantasia on Wyatt Earp and Doc Holiday". It's the kind of history Shakespeare wrote when he would acknowledge a few facts and then change a lot of dates and characters around for dramatic effect.

I sometimes find Dimitri Tiomkin's music in films to be a bit much with all the dissonant brass, but I love this score for OK Corral. The ballad could have been corny, but it gives the feeling that this movie is the ballad version of the story and not the history book version. One little cue that gets me every time is when Earl Holliman as Charlie Bassett is silently reading Virgil Earp's telegram to Wyatt, and two notes of the "OK Corral" theme strike an ominous chord. When I finished watching it the other day I started the disc up again and re-watched the opening. It was getting late or I might have ended up running the whole thing again!

One western movie of Kirk's that I did see as a kid during a Saturday kids' matinee was Last Train From Gun Hill. I would like to see that one on Blu-ray as well as it contains one of Kirk's most intense performances.To be honest, that film was probably too intense for a kid.

Cineman likes this.