Kino Video (how is quality?)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Eric Huffstutler, Oct 31, 2003.

1. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler Screenwriter

Oct 2, 1999
    Eric Huffstutler
    I see that Kino Video have a large variety of Silent Film classics and other art type films. I picked up the restored and authorized version of Metropolis but since that is the only Kino DVD I own, can't judge the rest by it. In general, are they worth the price? I had been thinking about picking up a couple more including Sebastiane.
  2. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

Aug 2, 2001
    Kino is generally a safe bet. They are a very reliable company that seems to have genuine interest in presenting quality versions of classic & silent movies. This is not to say that the prints are pristine as they are quite old and the quality varies greatly from disc to disc.

I have the following Kino discs and have been quite happy.
    "The Art of Buster Keaton" Boxset
    All 3 Erich Von Stroheim discs

I haven't watched every title, but I've been quite happy with the quality.
  3. WillardK

WillardK Second Unit

Mar 25, 2003
    I have a number of Kino titles including Sebastiane, which looks great. I've found they can be hit or miss and have read comments to that effect before on this forum. Most of the titles I have are satisfactory to excellent. Oddly enough, it's the newer ones that sometimes are below par. Institute Benjamenta has a disappointing transfer, as do the Svankmajer titles. Your best bet is to look up online reviews of the specific ones you're interested in.