Kino: Robert Benchley shorts, Cavalcade of Comedy and Prix De Beaute Swedish silents

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Tory, Nov 28, 2005.

1. Tory

Tory -The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-

Tory
    I just got their catalog in the mail

For Winter 2006:

Robert Benchley And The Knights Of The Algonquin

A special collection of nine shorts paying tribute to the great American satirist Robert Benchley. Includes his first screen appearance in 1928 and covers topics such as The Trouble With Husbands, Crime Control, The Sex Life of a Polyp. Also featured is Alexander Woollcott in Mr W's Little Game. A true collector's treasure.

24.95 86 min minutes

Cavalcade of Comedy

Hollywood intersects Broadway in this lively display of Paramount comedy short of 1929-1941, rarely seen since their initial theatrical release. See stars like Burns and Allen, Jack Benny, Smith and Dale, George Jessel, and Eddie Cantor performing theis famous routines.

24.95 111 minutes

For Spring 2006:

Augusta Genimsa's Prix De Beaute (1930)

Louise Brooks last starring role in a feature, and her only movie shot in France, is the story of a yount typist who wins an international beauty contest without informing her fiance.

29.95 93 minutes.

Also these Swedish silents:

Mauritz Stiller' Erotikon (1920)

When lovely Irene is neglected by her absent minded entomologist husband, she flirts with various other men in retaliation in this light hearted comedy of jealously and deception. Inbued with Stiller's gracefultiming and frothy Continental mores. Erotikon prefigures Bergman's Smiles of a Summer Night, Max Ophuls, and most squarly, Ernst Lubitsch

29.95 73 minutes

Mauritz Stiller's The Saga of Gosta Berling (1924)

Easily the most ambitious production of Swedish silent cinema, this tale of a defrocked priest's illicit passion for a married woman delivered its star Greta Garbo to the world (and subseuently to Hollywood). Often shown in dramatically butchered incarnations, this version restores 40 minutes of footage to one of Stiller's final films.

29.95 131 minutes

Sir Arne's Treasure (1919)

Set in a meticulously recaptured 16th century, Sir Arne's Treasure is a fatalistic chronicle of mercenaries and conspiracy under the regime of Johan III. With its subtle psychology and mature understatement, some consider this the finest hour of a neglected master who, alongside Victor Sjostron, established the artistic Swedish cinema.

29.95 71 minutes

2. Rodney

Rodney Screenwriter
    Supporter

That Cavalcade of Comedy sounds very interesting!
    Blind buy here.

3. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    It would be nice if Kino could discover progressive encoding on the shorts collections. [​IMG]

4. TimJS

TimJS Second Unit

Cavalcade of Comedy & Robert Benchley And The Knights Of The Algonquin are both available for pre-order at DVD Planet, 2/21/2006 street.

Tim

5. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

What does "payiong tribute" mean in this context, will these be a collection of Benchley shorts?

6. Tory

Tory -The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-

Tory

Yes, I believe these are paying tribute by making them available on DVD. I think a lot of short comedic subjects deserve similar tribue. That was the information that was written in the catalog.

7. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Thanks Tory, I wasn't familiar with those titles so I wasn't sure what they referred to.

Does Kino license their films out from larger studios similar to Criterion, or do they actually own their catalogue of movies... or are these considered to be in the public domain?

Didn't Benchley make most of his short films under RKO Radio (Warner holdings)?

I know that the description mentions the inclusion of his first appearance in a 1928 film, so will these be comprised strictly of early years and are they silent shorts, talkies, etc?

I'm a big fan of the Benchley "How To" series from the mid thirties to early forties, and was just curious if the films presented in this upcoming set by Kino will be remeniscant of those shorts?

Thanks.

8. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Wow... According to Wikipedia Benchley's 1928 short, The Treasurer's Report, was possibly the first "all-talkie" film shown in theatres.

With that bit of info and a quick look at his IMDB filmography, I guess I answered my own question. [​IMG]

I'm really looking forward to this release! WB's brilliant Night-At-The-Movies features have turned me into a definite fan! I can't wait to get more details on the set. [​IMG]

9. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Third post in a row...

Can anyone please explain how 9 shorts would equal 86 minutes?

How long did these typically run, 7 min?

It's a shame the DVD isn't a bit more inclusive. It looks like it will be quite a mixed bag with shorts ranging from 1928 to the early 40's. It would have been nice to have a multi-disc set, or simply more shorts documenting this period. He seemed to have starred in some 35-40 odd shorts between the 1930s and forties. A nicely packaged 2-disc set could do him a lot of justice. Still excited though!

10. BrianRi

BrianRi Stunt Coordinator

None of those "How To" shorts will be on this dvd. Those are all owned by Warner. Many are broadcast on TCM during their "one reel wonders".

11. TimJS

TimJS Second Unit

The VHS, let me repeat, The VHS editions of the Benchley title included

The Witness (1941, with R. Benchley)

The Trouble With Husbands (1940, with R. Benchley)

The Man's Angle (1942, with R. Benchley)

Mr. W's Little Game (1934, with Alexander Wolcott, Leo G. Carroll)

The Treasurer's Report (1928, with R. Benchley)

Traffic Regulations (1929, with Donald Ogden Stewart)

The Sex Life Of A Polyp (1928, with R. Benchley)

Humorous Flights (1929, with Donald Ogden Stewart

Crime Control (1941, with R. Benchley)

The contents of, again, the VHS version of Cavalcade of Comedy may be found in this customer review at Amazon. Will edit this post once the DVD contents are specified...

Tim

12. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Thanks for that bit of info Tim!

John, I figured WB held exclusive license to those.. what I didn't realize is that Mr. Benchley appeared in a number of shorts under Fox and Paramount Studios which seem to have been aqquired by Kino Video. I guess that significantly narrows down the selection.

Edit: it seems the majority of his pre-RKO/MGM output was in the late twenties under Fox Studios which would likely make up a good portion of film selections from thsi set. Does anyone know if the few Universal Studio shorts are under Kino's license as well?

His post-MGM output seems to consist of the few shorts listed above and a couple of additionals, under Paramount's production between 1940 and 41. That does by the way, include one or two "How To" films. It seems like Kino could have aqquired a few more to complete their catalogue of 'attainable' Benchley shorts. Unless I'm mistaken (which I very well may be), it now seems like there are only about 15 or so films made between Fox, Paramount and Universal that Kino would have access to. Enough speculation though... [​IMG]

13. TimJS

TimJS Second Unit

Prix De Beaute is now up for pre-order at DVDPlanet , March 7th street. Hope this includes the silent version!

Tim

14. LaurenceGarvey

LaurenceGarvey Second Unit

I am especially looking forward to the Benchley shorts; I've come to love his later MGM work. (By the way, he's the star of Disney's THE RELUCTANT DRAGON, too.)

Incidentally, his books always sold well, and are quite easy to find in most good used bookstores. They're hilarious, and highly recommended. (Although one store clerk seemed to think he was the guy who wrote JAWS: that was his grandson, of course, Peter Benchley.)