What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (3 Viewers)

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Mr. Insider,

not sure if this is possible, or who actually has the negatives as one title was released by olive, but has a paramount logo, but here is the question John Wayne did 16 titles for a little poverty row studio,

upload_2018-8-29_21-7-4.jpeg

which was part of the Monogram group, which in turn think some are PD and others belong to Republic, does Kino have a deal that some of these "B" westerns might be seen again, correctly.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming November 13th on Blu-ray!

The Gingerbread Man (1998) with optional English subtitles
• Audio Commentary by director Robert Altman
• 5.1 Surround and 2.0 Lossless Audio
• Theatrical Trailer

Color 114 Minutes 1.85:1 Rated R
He knew the law, but he forgot the rules: Never get involved with a client. And never put your family in danger. Legendary director Robert Altman (The Long Goodbye, Thieves Like Us) helms this thriller based on a John Grisham (The Chamber) original story. Kenneth Branagh (Valkyrie), Robert Downey Jr. (Less Than Zero), Daryl Hannah (Summer Lovers), Tom Berenger (Shattered), Famke Janssen (Deep Rising) and Robert Duvall (True Confessions) star in this complex mystery thriller. Step into the courtly world of Savannah's top-tier law firms. Meet one of the brightest young stars of the bar, Rick Magruder (Branagh). And witness how his obsession with a beautiful, mysterious client (Embeth Davidtz, Feast of July), stalked by her deranged father, plunges him into a world of terrifying intrigue and deadly deceit. As a hurricane bears down on the city, Rick finds himself locked in a battle without a judge or jury—only an executioner. Beautifully shot by Changwei Gu (Farewell My Concubine) with a rousing score by Mark Isham (Billy Bathgate).

738329233891.jpg

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Mr. Insider,

not sure if this is possible, or who actually has the negatives as one title was released by olive, but has a paramount logo, but here is the question John Wayne did 16 titles for a little poverty row studio,

View attachment 49048

which was part of the Monogram group, which in turn think some are PD and others belong to Republic, does Kino have a deal that some of these "B" westerns might be seen again, correctly.

We have no interest in releasing the PD John Wayne sixty-minute westerns, sorry. If titles like DAKOTA and A LADY TAKES A CHANCE are not good sellers, we can only wonder how bad the sales for those PD ones will be.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
We have no interest in releasing the PD John Wayne sixty-minute westerns, sorry. If titles like DAKOTA and A LADY TAKES A CHANCE are not good sellers, we can only wonder how bad the sales for those PD ones will be.
Yeah, that's all on us, the consumers. Anyway, I'm thankful to having those John Wayne titles on Blu-ray.

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Coming November 13th on Blu-ray!

The Gingerbread Man (1998) with optional English subtitles
• Audio Commentary by director Robert Altman
• 5.1 Surround and 2.0 Lossless Audio
• Theatrical Trailer

Color 114 Minutes 1.85:1 Rated R
He knew the law, but he forgot the rules: Never get involved with a client. And never put your family in danger. Legendary director Robert Altman (The Long Goodbye, Thieves Like Us) helms this thriller based on a John Grisham (The Chamber) original story. Kenneth Branagh (Valkyrie), Robert Downey Jr. (Less Than Zero), Daryl Hannah (Summer Lovers), Tom Berenger (Shattered), Famke Janssen (Deep Rising) and Robert Duvall (True Confessions) star in this complex mystery thriller. Step into the courtly world of Savannah's top-tier law firms. Meet one of the brightest young stars of the bar, Rick Magruder (Branagh). And witness how his obsession with a beautiful, mysterious client (Embeth Davidtz, Feast of July), stalked by her deranged father, plunges him into a world of terrifying intrigue and deadly deceit. As a hurricane bears down on the city, Rick finds himself locked in a battle without a judge or jury—only an executioner. Beautifully shot by Changwei Gu (Farewell My Concubine) with a rousing score by Mark Isham (Billy Bathgate).

View attachment 49054
I remember this as being a very absorbing, entertaining mystery-thriller, but I haven't watched my DVD in a long time. I'm very happy an upgrade to it is coming in the next few months.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I remember this as being a very absorbing, entertaining mystery-thriller, but I haven't watched my DVD in a long time. I'm very happy an upgrade to it is coming in the next few months.
I pulled out my old DVD tonight to check it out. The widescreen version (it's a flipper disc) is not anamorphically enhanced, so I had to zoom the picture. The encode on the DVD is solid, however, since there's weren't terrible artifacts occurring after zooming. The movie is every bit as entertaining as I remembered, and I'll definitely be interested in a Blu-ray upgrade.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

I had the opposite take on it. Great cast, Altman, etc. Why was I so bored watching it? Perhaps because the studio seemed to be trying to push the notoriously independent director into a big-budget, highly-commercial thriller that just wasn't a good fit for him. I've watched it twice I have not listened to his commentary), and the second viewing did nothing more for me than the first. And I really wanted to like it! Oh, well..each to his or her own.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming Soon on Blu-ray!

The Tarnished Angels (1957) Starring Rock Hudson, Robert Stack, Dorothy Malone, Jack Carson, Robert Middleton and Troy Donahue - Shot by Irving Glassberg (The Big Heat, Bend of the River) - Screenplay by George Zuckerman (99 River Street, Written on the Wind) - Based on the Novel by William Faulkner (The Long Hot Summer, The Reivers) - Directed by Douglas Sirk (Magnificent Obsession, All That Heaven Allows, Imitation of Life).

TarnishedAngels.jpg

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Yeah, that's all on us, the consumers. Anyway, I'm thankful to having those John Wayne titles on Blu-ray.

We're not blaming anyone, but facts are facts. We released both films with new 4K scans of the original camera negative and it barely moved the sales needle. We continue to release titles for the love of cinema that no other label would dare to release, but we need to draw the line somewhere.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I think it's especially hard in the current environment for those prolific actors with huge filmographies. Other than die-hard Wayne fans, how many John Wayne films does the average movie viewer want outside of the handful of most famous titles? According to Wikipedia, Wayne was the star of 142 films.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks