What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (8 Viewers)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Its funny Kino's Paramount deal released very few films that were originally released by Paramount. Hopefully the Universal deal will release many many Paramount films . Hopefully there are no restrictions like the films released can't have been released previously on DVD. Love to see the Mae West, WC Fields. Bob Hope, unreleased Preston Sturges like The Lady Eve, Christmas in July, and The Great McGinty, some unreleased comedies like Midnight, Remember The Night (Previously released briefly by TCM) True Confessions, The Princess Comes Across, and many others see the light of day.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Another Queen of Technicolor Maria Montez

Sudan
Gypsy Wildcat
Cobra Woman
Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves
White Savage
Arabian Nights

Jeff Chandler
Iron Man
Flame of Araby
The Battle at Apache Pass
Taza, Son of Cochise
Sign of the Pagan
Female on the Beach
Away All Boats
The Lady Takes a Flyer

From the 1960's I can't think of many Universal films that haven't been released. Mirage, Come September, Man's Favorite Sport?, The Tammy films, What's So Bad About Feeling Good( mentioned in the thread about rare films you want that will never be released and Thelma Ritter's last film, though she only has a cameo.)

Last edited:

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Its funny Kino's Paramount deal released very few films that were originally released by Paramount. Hopefully the Universal deal will release many many Paramount films . Hopefully there are no restrictions like the films released can't have been released previously on DVD. Love to see the Mae West, WC Fields. Bob Hope, unreleased Preston Sturges like The Lady Eve, Christmas in July, and The Great McGinty, some unreleased comedies like Midnight, Remember The Night (Previously released briefly by TCM) True Confessions, The Princess Comes Across, and many others see the light of day.

The Lady Eve- is coming via Criterion, we just don't have a date yet

Arthur Powell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arthur
I hope that this Universal deal includes quite a few films that have never been been released on home video. Don't get me wrong - I would jump for joy if the WC Fields films were a part of the deal, but there is a certain excitement I feel when some completely unavailable vintage film finally gets its due. I am disappointed though that no films from before 1932 are included. I find that sort of odd given the work that Universal has done in the past decade to try to reclaim and restore its silent film legacy. You would have thought that the recently restored and rescored "The Man Who Laughs" and the Charley Chase silent/part talkie "Modern Love" would have been prime material for this type of deal. For a film that could be game, Harold Lloyd's penultimate film "Professor Beware" (1938) would also be nice to see assuming that Criterion didn't license it (I wish somebody would light a fire under Criterion's feet to get them to get to work on the Lloyd catalog). With that said, I'm looking forward to seeing what will come forth from this deal.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Here is a a nice update. According to what I read "elsewhere" The Big Clock, Criss Cross, Black Angel, The Glass Key, The Blue Dahlia, Phantom Lady, This Gun For Hire, The Lost Weekend were not available to them - this was part of a long list
This list also included these remaining titles
Woman in Hiding, Undertow,The Sleeping City, Kiss the Blood off my Hands, Abandoned and The Accused..and KL went on to comment that they have two from the remaining list that area in BOLD

KL did say that they have 10 Westerns, 2 titles from The Classic Sci-Fi Ultimate Collection, and 1-2 post 1960 horrors, and 13 titles will be released for the first time on DVD and Blu ray with the rest being on DVD already

There no Abbott and Costello films or cartoons in the deal..

Ok that was exhausting. I wish KL would spend more time over here :)

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Thoroughly Modern Millie
Flower Drum Song
Sweet Charity
Mary Queen of Scots
Isadora
Freud
Boom!
Diary of a Mad Housewife
40 Pounds of Trouble
The Chalk Garden
What's So Bad About Feeling Good?
Kitten With a Whip
Mirage
The Art of Love
Arabesque
A Man Could Get Killed
This Earth is Mine
Come September
Tammy and the Bachelor
The Great Imposter
Bedtime Story ( Brando and Niven)
Back Street (1961
No Man is an Island
This Earth Is Mine would be great!
A personal Universal favorite for Blu-ray would be the 1966 Beau Geste remake, saw it at the movies as a 14-year-old. Action-packed fun. I had 16mm and 35mm prints of it in my film collecting days.

upload_2018-7-13_21-41-5-png.47750

Last edited:

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Mr. Insider, did
Here is a a nice update. According to what I read "elsewhere" The Big Clock, Criss Cross, Black Angel, The Glass Key, The Blue Dahlia, Phantom Lady, This Gun For Hire, The Lost Weekend were not available to them - this was part of a long list
Woman in Hiding, Undertow,The Sleeping City, Kiss the Blood off my Hands, Abandoned and The Accused..and KL went on to comment that they have two from the remaining list that area in BOLD

KL did say that they have 10 Westerns, 2 titles from The Classic Sci-Fi Ultimate Collection, and 1-2 post 1960 horrors, and 13 titles will be released for the first time on DVD and Blu ray with the rest being on DVD already

If those ones were not available, I'm guessing many of Universal's "higher profile" titles won't be available as well.

I'm wondering if, maybe there are some Deanna Durbin films in the deal? I'd love to see 100 Men and a Girl and His Butler's Sister.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Im hoping for The Web and Among the Living are part of the 13 unreleased titles.
Night Monster would be A+ :) as ive been a fan forever of that film. KL has been answering questions 'elsewhere' on forums, so if I see anything Ill gladly post.
Maybe the deal with include The Monster and Girl, James Stewart Westerns and probably yes those Universal Vault collection titles ..Should be fun times when they start announcing

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
So many great titles listed above that I saw at our neighborhood theatres and drive-ins.

THE HELL WITH HEROES with Rod Taylor and Claudia Cardinale
SKULLDUGGERY with Burt Reynolds and Susan Clark
INCIDENT AT PHANTOM HILL with Robert Fuller and Dan Duryea
Any Audie Murphy westerns would be great as well as the two neat little westerns starring Tony Young, HE RIDES TALL & TAGGART
The aforementioned RIDE TO HANGMAN'S TREE which used footage from 1948's BLACK BART. Would love to see either or both.
Double feature of the '44 ALI BABA AND THE 40 THIEVES with the 1965 SWORD OF ALI BABA. An outrageous example of a remake using almost the entire original film as stock footage. Plus Jocelyn Lane

But I've always wanted to see DID YOU HEAR THE ONE ABOUT THE TRAVELING SALESLADY? (1968) again. I mean, Phyllis Diller, Bob Denver AND Joe Flynn. AND music by Vic Mizzy.

Thanks, Kino and Universal.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex

Saw that "elsewhere" as well. Those titles not being included is very disappointing, especially as it appears Universal has no interest in releasing those titles themselves.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Saw that "elsewhere" as well. Those titles not being included is very disappointing, especially as it appears Universal has no interest in releasing those titles themselves.

Unless they are with other labels , maybe Criterion has a Noir set from Universal planned ? Random guessing, just a thought.

I hope that KL did get the Karloff/Lugosi titles such as The Raven, The Black Cat, etc :)

Last edited:

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
Just curious - I reread the "Terms and Rules" and found no prohibitions on the mere mention of another site. Are people being cutely coy in using the term "elsewhere" as in the recent posts above? It might be helpful to newbies to just state what other resources are out there. Or is saying the name of the site like saying "Beetlejuice. Beetlejuice. Beetlejuice." and would have serious repercussions?

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I say "elsewhere" because I personally am not going to promote what elsewhere is. We want to keep our members old and new reading this site for news and information. Some of us do read forums for news and quotes from the insiders such as KL Studio Classics. . I really hope KL will spend more here answering questions :) Newbies can figure things out by doing simple research if they want to find information, where it comes from.
Think of it as going to Burger King and wearing a Ronald McDonald outfit

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Too bad about no cartoons being included in the deal. I was hoping we might finally get a complete set of Woody Woodpecker cartoons in a series of releases similar to what Kino is currently doing with the Pink Panther.

Like others, I'm hoping that W.C. Fields films are part of this deal. I'd also like to have the Don Knotts Universal films that aren't already on Blu.

I won't write out a Christmas-like wish list, but I will say that there are at least a couple dozen Universal films I'd really like to see on Blu just from the 60s thru 80s (a mix of comedies, dramas and crime dramas), some of which aren't even on DVD. At least two of these never even got a VHS release. Then there are at least that many pre-60s comedy, horror and noir films I want. So hopefully at least some will be part of this deal. Plus, I'm sure there will be some films in the deal that I'm not familiar with but will end up trying as blind buys. So there may be a few surprises in store that I have no idea about yet.

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
But I've always wanted to see DID YOU HEAR THE ONE ABOUT THE TRAVELING SALESLADY? (1968) again. I mean, Phyllis Diller, Bob Denver AND Joe Flynn. AND music by Vic Mizzy.

That's 1 of the 2 films on my Universal want list that I believe have never had even a VHS release. The other is Andy Griffith's 1969 film Angel in My Pocket with Lee Meriwether and Edgar Buchanan. I've never seen either one but have wanted to. Fingers crossed that Kino gives us the opportunity.

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
I say "elsewhere" because I personally am not going to promote what elsewhere is. We want to keep our members old and new reading this site for news and information. Some of us do read forums for news and quotes from the insiders such as KL Studio Classics. . I really hope KL will spend more here answering questions :) Newbies can figure things out by doing simple research if they want to find information, where it comes from.
Think of it as going to Burger King and wearing a Ronald McDonald outfit

To me, it seems like that is exactly what is being done here. You seem to have no qualms about reading another forum, but don't want others to do so. But I am taking this thread off topic, so I have had my say and will end it here.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks