What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (5 Viewers)

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
And, apparently, Henry Fonda looked a lot like Tom Snyder :D :

american-talk-show-host-tom-snyder-of-the-late-late-show-with-tom-picture-id52645478

738329233099-jpg.46668
And Dub Taylor looks a lot like Lorne Greene

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Some DVD Beaver reviews:

THE BIG COUNTRY
"Finally, this masterpiece western gets an upgraded Blu-ray release... and it's a great one. Brilliant storytelling from a master - about honor, pride, masculinity, revenge and self-respect. In my consideration an absolute must-own. Buy with extreme confidence."

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReviews9/the_big_country_blu-ray.htm

SPETTERS
"Kino have given us a brand new 4-k transfer of Verhoeven's "Spetters", and it looks fantastic. The 1080p image is housed on a dual-layered disc with a maxed out bitrate. There are certain frames with tiny flecks of damage but the instances of debris are heavy, with no visible scratches or lines. Grain and detail is outstanding, giving the film a nice texture. Colors really pop and the contrast levels seem very decent, especially in nighttime scenes."

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews43/spetters_blu-ray.htm

JACK THE GIANT KILLER
"Fans of this genre will love this HD presentation and supplements. Absolutely recommended!"

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film6/dvd_reviews_67/jack_the_giant_killer_blu-ray.htm

Eastmancolor

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Harwood
Some great stuff there, though please reconsider LITTLE LORD FAUNTLEROY. Your previous release was sourced from a print and Disney has the original elements. A new scan would look much better.

Glad to especially see THE LAST VALLEY on the list. Have been after this one for many moons. Of course being one of the last 65mm productions back in the day, it would not be inexpensive to do a proper Blu-ray.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Thank you for your list. Some definite purchases there for me. But my "holy grail" is Song Of Norway so here's hoping with a little polish that you're able to release it. I can't speak for others but I know if it means a less than stellar transfer because of the elements, I'm totally okay with that as long as it's the Roadshow version and in the correct aspect ratio. No doubt there will be those who insist it be scanned from the original 70 millimeter negative and in 5.1 sound or forget it and while that would be ideal, I'll settle for the best that can be salvaged from existing elements. But hey, that's just me :) I live in the real world and realize the film's appeal is limited and unlike, say, The Sound Of Music, you can't justify an expensive restoration on the return you'll get.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Glad to especially see THE LAST VALLEY on the list. Have been after this one for many moons. Of course being one of the last 65mm productions back in the day, it would not be inexpensive to do a proper Blu-ray.

THE LAST VALLEY is top on that list for me. I've always bitterly regretted having missed seeing it in 70mm. Actually, I didn't even realise that the London showing was in 70mm. I only got to see the film a few years after release on a cropped 16mm print but even so, the quality of the film was obvious. Sadly, every presentation of the film on TV, DVD etc has been pathetic.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
THE LAST VALLEY is top on that list for me. I've always bitterly regretted having missed seeing it in 70mm. Actually, I didn't even realise that the London showing was in 70mm. I only got to see the film a few years after release on a cropped 16mm print but even so, the quality of the film was obvious. Sadly, every presentation of the film on TV, DVD etc has been pathetic.

I did see it in 70mm when it opened in Leicester Square, & it looked (& sounded) stunning, but reading the note on that list, it looks like a case of, don't hold your breath. Martin Scorsese, the services of your Film Foundation are needed!

Last edited:

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
I certainly hope the problems with Song Of Norway can be overcome.
You mean, oh say, the choreography? Lee Becker Theodore was so unhappy with her work ("They always
wanted leaping dancers in the background") that she refused to mention the film by name. In a Dick Cavett interview,
she just rolls her eyes and calls it "that ... movie".

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
You mean, oh say, the choreography? Lee Becker Theodore was so unhappy with her work ("They always
wanted leaping dancers in the background") that she refused to mention the film by name. In a Dick Cavett interview,
she just rolls her eyes and calls it "that ... movie".

I was referring to the problems with the elements. The movie is what it is.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I bought Fauntleroy once and would buy a new scan if it were offered. Even without Pickford's curls, Freddie makes a creditable lord; and Dolores Costello is always so beautiful to look at. It is a charming film in its own right.

Bernard McNair

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bernard McNair
I am excited at the prospect of owning Blu’s of Last Valley and Song of Norway.
The Last Valley is a very fine film with a great John Barry score. I was fortunate to see it in 70mm on its original release in Sydney and found it an excellent experience. I have the non-amorphoric disk from Anchor Bay and a Blu would be a day one purchase for me.
Song of Norway would never make any top 100 lists but there is much to enjoy in a non critical way (it is on par for me with the musical Lost Horizon) but is beautiful to look at.
As has been stated elsewhere in this thread I would be happy with a “best possible” Blu of these titles as opposed to perfection with no disk.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
I am excited at the prospect of owning Blu’s of Last Valley and Song of Norway.
The Last Valley is a very fine film with a great John Barry score. I was fortunate to see it in 70mm on its original release in Sydney and found it an excellent experience. I have the non-amorphoric disk from Anchor Bay and a Blu would be a day one purchase for me.
Song of Norway would never make any top 100 lists but there is much to enjoy in a non critical way (it is on par for me with the musical Lost Horizon) but is beautiful to look at.
As has been stated elsewhere in this thread I would be happy with a “best possible” Blu of these titles as opposed to perfection with no disk.
I

I second (or third) the call for an improved Little Lord Fauntleroy ... A very affecting film.
But now for something more serious. Please restock The Big Country so Deep Discount can send it to Australia asap. I can't.buy directl from you as you can't ship to me, and I would like to have it waiting when my wife and I arrive home from Venice next week. Deep Discount says it's on back order. Please, Kino, make it happen!

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
Dear Ahollis ... oh, come on. That was a mild attempt at humor. You didn't REALLY think I was suggesting
SONG OF NORWAY should be reshot, did you? Actually, it's one of the few VHS musicals I'm still waiting
to replace with a restored and correct ratio DVD and/or Blu-Ray. It's just that I worked with Lee for many
years at American Dance Machine, and was always amused at how much she loathed the film AND her
work on it. I suppose I can add;););););) from now on.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Dear Ahollis ... oh, come on. That was a mild attempt at humor. You didn't REALLY think I was suggesting
SONG OF NORWAY should be reshot, did you? Actually, it's one of the few VHS musicals I'm still waiting
to replace with a restored and correct ratio DVD and/or Blu-Ray. It's just that I worked with Lee for many
years at American Dance Machine, and was always amused at how much she loathed the film AND her
work on it. I suppose I can add;););););) from now on.

I don’t know how you came to the idea I thought you were suggesting it to be reshot. I just thought you misunderstood my comment. But I guess we’re even now. (Smiley, laugh, smiley)

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
The last time I saw Song of Norway was...was...hmmm; gosh a long, long time, ago.
I must've liked it as a kid, 'cause I spent my allowance on a cassette of the soundtrack.
My attentions are piqued, as the specific likes of Thomas T declares SoN as being his "holy grail";
and then there are the other reputables among us here who also like this film;
such as Bernard McNair, ahollis and winky P;)DER.
So, yah; if the reviews of the transfers are decent enough; I'm in for a purchase, as well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks