What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (5 Viewers)

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
No, probably not. I asked about SKIPPY and they had no interest in it. Which is unfortunate because it’s a best Director winner and BP nom, and never had a release. :/

Kino also said they weren’t interested in releasing Flower Drum Song, and that’s now in their pipeline, so I wouldn’t necessarily rule that film out just yet.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
When I was a kid, my grandfather took me to see the Polo Grounds site a few years after it was demolished when they started building those apartment complexes that sit on the old Polo Grounds. I remember him pointing out Coogan's Bluff to me as we drove around then he took me to see my Yankees play at the old Yankee Stadium.

Building, say, low-income housing (if that is what these apartments are) in place of the old Polo Grounds is space well-used, but when the landmarks of our childhood memories are replaced by condos for the wealthy, such as what happened where Jersey's Palisades Amusement Park once stood, just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Back on topic: Wonderful to be continuing to get these classic releases from Kino!

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I never got to a game at the Polo Grounds but I did get to both Yankee Stadium and Ebbets Field in 1956, when I was eight years old. I got to see seven Hall of Famers play in those two games.

Check out this TV special from 1964 hosted by Horace McMahon ("Naked City", "Detective Story") just before the demlition of the Polo Grounds.

As for the film, I've seen "McCloud" many times so it would be hard for me to avoid noticing how the film inspired the show ultimately.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
It's great to see CHINO getting the deluxe treatment. I hope the audio commentary can answer some of the questions surrounding this film, which seems to have a complicated history. For example, there's a suggestion in the IMDB that John Sturges didn't actually direct the film, although his name remains on the credits. Then, there is some evidence that in addition to its [PG]-rated version, the film also played in the U.S. in a [G]-rated version under the title "The Free Spirit."

From Paul Talbot on our Facebook thread: "In the fall of 1972, Sturges directed THE VALDEZ HORSES in Spain and Rome for nine weeks and completed the entire film. When De Laurentiis and the investors saw the edited film in early 1973, they were disappointed with the lack of action. Sturges worked with writer Elmore Leonard and came up with some new scenes to shoot. But Sturges was unable to direct the new vignettes because he was in pre-production on the John Wayne movie MCQ. In June 1973 (six months after THE VALDEZ HORSES originally wrapped), the main cast and a new crew went to Spain to shoot for one week and filmed new scenes, retakes, and inserts under the direction of Italian Duilio Coletti. The final film runs 97 minutes. By my calculations, Sturges directed 74 minutes of what ended up on screen and Coletti directed 23 minutes. In my commentary, I identify which scenes were helmed by which director."

In our new interview with Van Patten, he says Sturges was the best director he ever worked with, so the rumors of him not directing the film is false.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Hi Kino Lorber Insider,
Will Kino Lorber's upcoming August 3, 2021 Blu-Ray release of Coogan's Bluff
feature the movie in uncut form?

The DVD version of Coogan's Bluff is edited by approximately three minutes
in all regions for unknown reasons.

The missing scenes include Walt Coogan (Clint Eastwood)
receiving his assignment to return James Ringerman (Don Stroud) from New York,
a short scene in a hospital,
and a scene in which Julie Roth (Susan Clark) talks about Coogan's Bluff,
a lookout point over the ocean near New York
(the real Coogan's Bluff is a site on Manhattan Island between Washington Heights and Harlem),
tying the locations into the film's title.

The old VHS release of Coogan's Bluff did not have these edits and was released uncut.

Even if Kino Lorber's upcoming Blu-Ray release of Coogan's Bluff
doesn't include the uncut version of the motion picture,
I would still be buying their Blu-Ray release of it soon after its official release date
due to the excellent bonus features that will be getting included on the Blu-Ray disc.

Coogan's Bluff is a Clint Eastwood movie that I have on DVD and I've always liked the movie.
In my opinion, the vast majority of the movies that Eastwood has actually starred in are marvelous.
I have nearly all of the movies from Eastwood's filmography in my DVD or Blu-Ray collection.
The additional scenes were never part of the theatrical release, they were added to the television broadcast and taking your word for it, the VHS release, which most likely was the same SD master.

These element no longer exist on film and the old television masters were lost in the fire a few years ago.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Remember, they had no interest in Flower Drum Song, until they did. So these things can change. Don't give up hope!
While I appreciate yours and RichardBurton’s optimism, many inquired about FLOWER DRUM SONG; not many inquired about SKIPPY... and Mr. Insider seemed to be annoyed when I said it would be a good release. So I don’t know. 🤷‍♂️

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
While I appreciate yours and RichardBurton’s optimism, many inquired about FLOWER DRUM SONG; not many inquired about SKIPPY... and Mr. Insider seemed to be annoyed when I said it would be a good release. So I don’t know. 🤷‍♂️
I, myself, dare not make any inquiries. I take the natural evolution of Kino's releases exactly as they are announced, I enjoy the surprises, and I always find plenty that I look forward to purchasing. Now, with that said, SKIPPY has long been on my watch list of coveted titles, as well.

Last edited:

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I, myself, dare not make any inquiries. I take the natural evolution of Kino's releases exactly as they are announced, I enjoy the surprises, and I always find plenty that I look forward to purchasing.
Same here. I really feel sorry for the KL Insider being constantly bombarded with "Is XYZ coming?", "Would you have any interest in releasing ABC?", "Is JKL on your list of forthcoming releases?", "Hey KL, I'd love to see you release BVC", etc. etc. etc.

I like the element of surprise and always look forward to KL's next announcement.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Same here. I really feel sorry for the KL Insider being constantly bombarded with "Is XYZ coming?", "Would you have any interest in releasing ABC?", "Is JKL on your list of forthcoming releases?", "Hey KL, I'd love to see you release BVC", etc. etc. etc.

I like the element of surprise and always look forward to KL's next announcement.
I can't say anything about the others, but we have no interest in BVC :)

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
I can tell you that we're working on a new deal with Universal and have sent them a large list of titles we're interested in, SKIPPY once again did not make the cut.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis

Nothing to be sorry for. He's the representative of a company that wishes to interact with fans on a public forum He's not here just to make announcements - those are made primarily on Facebook - he's here to interact. He can choose to decline to answer specific questions and he has done so on numerous occasions; as long as everything is done in a courteous and professional manner, we can all agree that having him onboard is a good thing even if we don't always get the answers we seek.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Nothing to be sorry for. He's the representative of a company that wishes to interact with fans on a public forum He's not here just to make announcements - those are made primarily on Facebook - he's here to interact. He can choose to decline to answer specific questions and he has done so on numerous occasions; as long as everything is done in a courteous and professional manner, we can all agree that having him onboard is a good thing even if we don't always get the answers we seek.
That is not how this specific thread operates on the HTF. Please read the following warning that was previously posted in this thread:

I just deleted one post because it asked the Kino Insider to comment on whether a list of movies are being considered for BD release. We have politely requested that such posts not be posted in this thread as it places the Kino Insider in a bad position. Since, that request has been ignored by certain posters, we will just start deleting posts and issuing temporary/permanent thread bans to those that refuse to follow our thread directives.

Edit: The forum is seriously considering making this thread just announcements only which means the general membership will not be able to post in this thread. I don't think any of us would like that thread solution. Please, help us not go there by following this thread's posting guidelines.

Finally, do not post your comments to this particular post in this thread. If you need to comment or make a suggestion then do so using private messaging. Thank you.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
We had taken on too many restoration projects and decided to pass on the film the first two times, but decided to include it in the third deal.
Those of us who have been in business understand. You don't work for nothing. That's for your hobby. In business you have to pay the bills and the staff, and have something left to pay your bills. You don't put out the money unless there's a decent shot at a return. I'm just happy when one of my wish list films (as Flower Drum Song and What's So Bad About Feeling Good? were) comes out. Keep up the good work, K-L!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Larsenv
    Recent bookmarks