What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (7 Viewers)

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
Night Has a Thousand Eyes and Spider Woman Strikes Back: a solid 1-2 punch of '40s mysteries from Kino Lorber and Universal (3 including The Mad Doctor... 4 including Alias Nick Beal).

And do you notice a pattern here? Look at all the "Likes" the announcements of these formerly AWOL Universal and Paramount horror-mysteries attract here on HTF. Typically some two-dozen or more for each.

Just sayin' .......

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming July 13th from Kino Lorber & Scorpion Releasing!

The Two Worlds of Jennie Logan (1979 TV Movie)

If you like romance and the supernatural, welcome to Jennie’s thrilling world!
Jennie Logan (Lindsay Wagner, Nighthawks, TV’s The Bionic Woman) lives in two worlds: the present and—by mans of a magical transport—the turn-of-the-century past. In the present she endures heartache, in the past, she finds love in the person of David Reynolds (Marc Singer, The Beastmater, TV’s V and V: The Final Battle), a young artist. Jennie longs to stay in the past with David, but is the past nothing more than a dream? She returns to the present only to discover David has been mysteriously murdered in the year 1899. Once again Jennie travels to the past, risking both of her worlds, matching her love against the course of history as she tries to rescue the man she loves from his fate. Veteran film and television writer/director Frank De Felitta (Anzio, Z.P.G., Audrey Rose, The Entity) wrote and directed this haunting film co-starring Linda Gray (Dogs, TV’s Dallas) and screen legend Gloria Stuart (The Old Dark House, Titanic).

738329254599.jpg

Garysb

Senior HTF Member

Jennie Logan (Lindsay Wagner, Nighthawks, TV’s The Bionic Woman) lives in two worlds: the present and—by mans of a magical transport—the turn-of-the-century past. In the present she endures heartache, in the past, she finds love in the person of David Reynolds (Marc Singer, The Beastmater, TV’s V and V: The Final Battle), a young artist. Jennie longs to stay in the past with David, but is the past nothing more than a dream? She returns to the present only to discover David has been mysteriously murdered in the year 1899. Once again Jennie travels to the past, risking both of her worlds, matching her love against the course of history as she tries to rescue the man she loves from his fate. Veteran film and television writer/director Frank De Felitta (Anzio, Z.P.G., Audrey Rose, The Entity) wrote and directed this haunting film co-starring Linda Gray (Dogs, TV’s Dallas) and screen legend Gloria Stuart (The Old Dark House, Titanic).

View attachment 94532
I really like this TV movie.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
The Kino catalogue has so vastly grown that soon there will nothing left, but for the exception of an inherited 8mm b/w 50 ft. reel of Kodak Safety Film and my great-great-grandparents family picnic.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
Oh Kino.....Oh Kino... I've been away from any computer for a month and I return to see Flower Drum Song added to Thoroughly Modern Millie, that means my 2 top spots on my wanted blu-ray list are blank. I can't tell you how happy I awith this. These 2 musicals have deserved a place on blu-ray for years. I was rather surprised to see Flower Drum not being a 4k scan of the negative, very strange for this title, but from what I have seen running on TCM lately this is still going to be a beauty! My question is...what happened to the original negative? The recent showings on TCM are the remastered version (because they show the Samual Goldwyn logo, who owns the TV rights, Universal has the home video rights) and I have to say we are in for one great looking and sounding disc. I can't wait to hear this in lossless audio! Thank you so much Kino!

Last edited:

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
1) It's a neglected but innovative and quite wonderful Rogers and Hammerstein musical about the minutiae of life in an Asian community in the USA. No big social issues here or intense drama, at least on the surface, just a celebration of life, and an illumination of a type of everyday life that didn't get seen much in big Hollywood films, especially Rogers and Hammerstein musicals.
2) It's pretty darn wonderful, exquisitely mounted and really entertaining, and though there are no R&H standards in this show, the score, by Richard Rogers, is exemplary. A must hear and a must have.
3) It's the last R&H musical to be released on Blu-Ray, and if you collect those--many people on this board do--this is essential.
4) Nancy Kwan is the lead, and for those of us who grew up in the fifties, we adore her, and collect all of her films, and this is probably the best, as she plays an ordinary person, with hopes and dreams, and boy, is she ebullient and charming and real. If you're a Nancy Kwan fan, this is essential.
5) It was directed by Henry Koster, who has not yet been embraced by cinephiles, as Mr. Koster's work is fairly invisible--no fish-eye lens shots, no self-referential images or fancy camerawork that draws attention to itself--yet Mr. Koster's films have a warmth and intelligence that is distinctive and completely individual, and this film contains some of his best work.
6) There's also the ensemble performances and presences of all the other actors in the film as well, bringing humor and heart.
7) It's a big budget Hollywood film that is eye-poppingly expansive. Though it was done at Universal, which was generally low to medium budget at this time, they didn't cut corners. The sets, costumes and photography are all first rate.
8) All of us on this board of a certain age, saw this film in theaters when it was new, totally loved it and saw it multiple times, and we will all be buying this on day one--well, at least I will.
9) It has one of the best sounding soundtracks from the early 1960's, a fantastic mag stereo recording that blows alot of other films of that time out of the water. The bass in the music is incredible.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Oh Kino.....Oh Kino... I've been away from any computer for a month and I return to see Flower Drum Song added to Thoroughly Modern Millie, that means my 2 top spots on my wanted blu-ray list are blank. I can't tell you how happy I awith this. These 2 musicals have deserved a place on blu-ray for years. I was rather surprised to see Flower Drum not being a 4k scan of the negative, very strange for this title, but from what I have seen running on TCM lately this is still going to be a beauty! Their recent showings are the remastered version and I have to say we are in for one great looking and sounding disc. Thank you so much Kino!
Flower Drum Song and Thoroughly Modern Millie has got my Full-Price Day One attentions.:cool:

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming July 27th from Scorpion Releasing & Kino Lorber!

The People Next Door (1970)
• 4K Restoration from the Original Camera Negative
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historian/Podcaster Bill Ackerman
• NEW Interview with Actor Don Scardino
• Trailers
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc
• Optional English Subtitles

Color 93 Minutes 1.85:1 Rated R
A married couple, Arthur (Eli Wallach, The Magnificent Seven, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly) and Gerrie Mason (Julie Harris, The Haunting, East of Eden) struggle with the realities of their imperfect marriage as they fight to save and rehabilitate their teenage daughter, Maxie (Deborah Winters, Class of ’44, Blue Sunshine), from a life of drug addiction and ultimate committal to a mental ward. Written by J.P. Miller (Helter Skelter, Days of Wine and Roses); directed by David Greene (I Start Counting, Gray Lady Down, Hard Country); and beautifully shot by the great Gordon Willis (The Godfather, Manhattan, The Parallax View), The People Next Door features a stellar cast that includes Cloris Leachman (The Last Picture Show, Young Frankenstein), Stephen McHattie (Moving Violation, Watchmen), Hal Holbrook (Magnum Force, Rituals), Rue McClanahan (TV’s Maude and The Golden Girls), Nehemiah Persoff (Fate Is the Hunter), Mike Kellin (Sleepaway Camp) and Rutanya Alda (Amityville II: The Possession). Now watch this classic 70s melodrama for the first time in HD!

Also available on DVD!

738329255053.jpg

738329255053_back.jpg

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
Coming July 27th from Scorpion Releasing & Kino Lorber!

The People Next Door (1970)
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historian/Podcaster Bill Ackerman
• NEW Interview with Actor Don Scardino
• Trailers
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc

Color 93 Minutes 1.85:1 Rated R
A married couple, Arthur (Eli Wallach, The Magnificent Seven, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly) and Gerrie Mason (Julie Harris, The Haunting, East of Eden) struggle with the realities of their imperfect marriage as they fight to save and rehabilitate their teenage daughter, Maxie (Deborah Winters, Class of ’44, Blue Sunshine), from a life of drug addiction and ultimate committal to a mental ward. Written by J.P. Miller (Helter Skelter, Days of Wine and Roses); directed by David Greene (I Start Counting, Gray Lady Down, Hard Country); and beautifully shot by the great Gordon Willis (The Godfather, Manhattan, The Parallax View), The People Next Door features a stellar cast that includes Cloris Leachman (The Last Picture Show, Young Frankenstein), Stephen McHattie (Moving Violation, Watchmen), Hal Holbrook (Magnum Force, Rituals), Rue McClanahan (TV’s Maude and The Golden Girls), Nehemiah Persoff (Fate Is the Hunter), Mike Kellin (Sleepaway Camp) and Rutanya Alda (Amityville II: The Possession). Now watch this classic 70s melodrama for the first time in HD!

Also available on DVD!

View attachment 94545
View attachment 94546

I really hate to be a pedant, but he always spelled it JP Miller (no periods).

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross

View attachment 94532
An old friend of mine, David Williams, wrote the book this film is based on. The book, "Second Sight" is wonderful, and has a fairly large internet cult around it. Never saw the film.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming July 6th from Scorpion Releasing & Kino Lorber!

Slow Dancing in the Big City (1978)
• Brand New HD Master from a 2K Scan of the Interpositive
• NEW Interview with Composer Bill Conti
• NEW Interview with Actor Nicolas Coster
• Theatrical Trailer
• Reversible Blu-ray Art

Color 110 Minutes 1.85:1 Rated PG
Slow Dancing in the Big City
, a beautiful romance movie from the director of Rocky. Lou Friedlander (Paul Sorvino, Goodfellas, That Championship Season, Blood Brothers) is a popular columnist for the New York Daily News, writing about the little people of bustling New York City. His life changes dramatically upon falling in love with neighbor Sarah Gantz (Anne Ditchburn, Curtains, Six Weeks), a young ballerina who had just discovered she is stricken with a debilitating condition that will eventually force her to quit dancing. Will this mismatched couple find romance before it’s too late? Also starring Nicolas Coster (Golden Girl, The Sporting Club, Little Darlings), beautifully scored by Bill Conti (Rocky, The Formula, The Right Stuff) and directed by John G. Avildsen (Rocky, Neighbors, The Karate Kid, Lean on Me). Now see this lost classic from a brand new 2K scan!

Also available on DVD!

738329253936.jpg

738329253936_back.jpg

Last edited:

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming July 20th from Kino Lorber & Scorpion Releasing!

The Time Guardian (1987)
• Brand New HD Master from a 2K Scan of the Interpositive!
• Theatrical Trailer

Color 87 Minutes 2.35:1 Rated PG
In the year 4039, as the human race nears extinction under the rule of beast-like creatures, an entire city travels through time in hopes of evading capture and forever changing the future. Tom Burlinson (The Man from Snowy River), Carrie Fisher (Star Wars, The Blues Brothers, Under the Rainbow), Dean Stockwell (Quantum Leap, Married to the Mob, The Dunwich Horror) and Nikki Coghill (Dark Age) star in this 1980’s science-fiction epic! Now see it for the first time from a brand-new HD master in widescreen!

738329254629.jpg

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming July 20th from Code Red & Kino Lorber!

J.C. (1972)
• Theatrical Trailer

Color 100 Minutes 1.85:1 Rated R
When Society Turned Against Him… He Made His Own Society! With a religious fanatic for a father, the last thing “J.C.” wanted was to follow in his footsteps. To escape his background, he becomes the leader of a motorcycle gang. Then one night, while tripping on drugs with his gang, a vision convinces “J.C.” that he possesses unique spiritual powers. He preaches a sermon asking for followers to go West with him, but they get no further than his home town before violence and death explode in a confrontation between the “establishment” and the “prophet.” A story of rebellion, “J.C.” is the dynamic portrait of social unrest, caused by a generation torn by conflicting values… with white against black, young against old and culture against subculture, it recalls an age of total upheaval. William F. McGaha (The Speed Lovers) starred, co-wrote, produced and directed this cult classic biker movie. “J.C.” co-stars Joanna Moore (Countdown), Burr DeBenning (The Incredible Melting Man), Pat Delaney (The Bat People) and the great Slim Pickens (The Getaway, Blazing Saddles, Dr. Strangelove).

738329254612.jpg

dukiejosh54

Second Unit
Real Name
Josh
Can anyone that is familiar with ordering pre-orders on the Kino's site tell me if they charge you now or do they wait and charge you later when the movies are released and ready to ship? I currently have all the Mae West films pre-ordered at amazon but i just noticed they were only 14.97 on kino's site.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I just deleted another post because it requested to the Kino Insider that a certain movie title be released on Blu-ray. We have politely requested that such posts not be posted in this thread as it places the Kino Insider in a bad position. Since, that request has been ignored by certain posters, we are just deleting posts and issuing temporary/permanent thread bans to those that refuse to follow our thread directives.

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Coming July 20th from Code Red & Kino Lorber!

J.C. (1972)
• Theatrical Trailer

Color 100 Minutes 1.85:1 Rated R
When Society Turned Against Him… He Made His Own Society! With a religious fanatic for a father, the last thing “J.C.” wanted was to follow in his footsteps. To escape his background, he becomes the leader of a motorcycle gang. Then one night, while tripping on drugs with his gang, a vision convinces “J.C.” that he possesses unique spiritual powers. He preaches a sermon asking for followers to go West with him, but they get no further than his home town before violence and death explode in a confrontation between the “establishment” and the “prophet.” A story of rebellion, “J.C.” is the dynamic portrait of social unrest, caused by a generation torn by conflicting values… with white against black, young against old and culture against subculture, it recalls an age of total upheaval. William F. McGaha (The Speed Lovers) starred, co-wrote, produced and directed this cult classic biker movie. “J.C.” co-stars Joanna Moore (Countdown), Burr DeBenning (The Incredible Melting Man), Pat Delaney (The Bat People) and the great Slim Pickens (The Getaway, Blazing Saddles, Dr. Strangelove).

View attachment 94602
I’ve never seen this before but it looks too awesome to not buy it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks