What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (9 Viewers)

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming July 20th!

The Gilded Lily (1935)
• Audio Commentary by Film Historian Kat Ellinger
• Theatrical Trailer
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc
• Optional English Subtitles

This often overlooked comedy gem marks the first teaming of screen legends Claudette Colbert (The Bride Comes Home, The Palm Beach Story) and Fred MacMurray (The Princess Comes Across, The Apartment) and is the epitome of a New York City urban fantasy. Newspaper reporter Peter Dawes (MacMurray) and stenographer Marilyn David (Colbert) meet regularly on a park bench sharing popcorn along with their dreams. Their budding romance is soon threatened by a chance meeting between Marilyn and Charles Gray (Ray Milland, Beau Geste, The Lost Weekend), an English nobleman visiting America. Marilyn’s fantasy of landing a handsome millionaire becomes a reality as she is pursued by Charles in a whirlwind courtship, leaving Peter fighting to reclaim his love. When the press learns of the affair, it turns into an international tabloid scandal for everyone involved. Directed by Wesley Ruggles (I’m No Angel), The Gilded Lily helped launch the career of Fred MacMurray who would make six more films with Claudette Colbert over the years.

738329254223.jpg

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming July 20th!

The Plainsman (1936)
• Audio Commentary by Film Critic and Author Simon Abrams
• Theatrical Trailer
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc

From Cecil B. DeMille, the iconic director of The Sign of the Cross, Union Pacific, Reap the Wild Wind, Unconquered and The Ten Commandments, comes this classic western starring screen great Gary Cooper (Beau Geste, High Noon) as legendary gunman Wild Bill Hickok. Teaming up with his lover Calamity Jane (Jean Arthur, A Foreign Affair, The More the Merrier), as well as Buffalo Bill Cody (James Ellison, The Undying Monster), Hickok helps to pacify the frontier in a period of immense change for the Old West. At the same time, behind the scenes, we see the political decisions undertaken by President Lincoln (Frank McGlynn Sr., Captain Blood) that gradually shape America in the period after the Civil War. Charles Bickford (The Big Country) and Anthony Quinn (The Ox-Bow Incident) round out the superb cast in this sweeping epic packed with thrilling action, powerful drama and spectacular set pieces.

738329254230.jpg

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
The Plainsman ,The Bride Comes Home,Thunderbolt and Gilded Lily. Nice group of announcements. I very much appreciate KL having commentaries for all their classic releases . They add to the enjoyment of the films and maybe give you a few tidbits of information you didn't know about the films. Nice job KL.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Yes, I Enjoy Being a Girl is a standard and so is Love, Look Away - both classics, both recorded by many, many well-known singers. That's what makes a standard. And the cast is superb in the film. And Alfred Newman's work is exemplary as it always is. Those are a few things that are great about Flower Drum Song.
I would put in a word for "You Are Beautiful" and "I Am Going to Like It Here" as well, and I confess to enjoying "Grant Avenue" -- maybe it's that hidden "Grant Avenue/Can't have a new" rhyme. (I write songs, plays and a musical, and love that sort of thing.)

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming to DVD and Blu-ray June 15th from Kino Classics and StudioCanal!

Tous les matins du monde (All the Mornings of the World, 1991)
Starring Gérard Depardieu, Jean-Pierre Marielle, Anne Brochet
Directed by Alain Corneau

In the dazzling tradition of Amadeus, Tous les Matins du Monde (All the Mornings of the World) is a seductive tale of music and passion set in 17th century France. The phenomenal Gérard Depardieu (Cyrano de Bergerac) stars in a fascinating story filled with romance, lust, desire, devotion, revenge and intrigue. Monsieur de Sainte Colombe (Jean-Pierre Marielle, The Da Vinci Code) is reclusive composer who lives with his two beautiful daughters (Anne Brochet and Carole Richert). Their lives are forever changed by the flamboyant young student Marin Marais (Depardieu) who fascinates Colombe and entrances his daughters. See for yourself why critics and audiences alike applauded this magnificent film and celebrated winner of seven César Awards including Best Picture.

Special features:
*Audio commentary by film historian Samm Deighan
*Interviews with Alain Corneau, Jordi Savall, Jean-Pierre Marielle, and Yves Angelo
*Making-of Featurette
*Trailer

TouslesmatinsBR_forsocial.jpg

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming to Blu-ray June 29th from Kino Lorber and Zeitgeist Films!

Poison (1991)
Directed by Todd Haynes

Poison is the second feature directed by Todd Haynes, the Oscar®-nominated filmmaker of Far from Heaven and Carol. It is a groundbreaking American Indie and a trailblazing landmark of queer cinema. A work of immense visual invention, Haynes’ spectacular follow-up to his legendary Superstar: The Karen Carpenter Story is audacious, disturbing and thrillingly cinematic. Inspired by the writings of Jean Genet, Poison deftly interweaves a trio of transgressive tales—“Hero,” “Horror” and “Homo”—that build toward a devastating climax. “Hero,” shot in mock TV documentary style, tells a bizarre story of suburban patricide and a miraculous flight from justice; “Horror,” filmed like a delirious ’50s B-movie melodrama, is a gothic tale of a mad sex experiment which unleashes a disfiguring plague; while “Homo” explores the obsessive sexual relationship between two prison inmates. A runaway hit which made national headlines when it was attacked by right-wing politicians, Poison is unsettling, unforgettable and thoroughly entertaining.

Special features:
• New introduction by director Todd Haynes
• Sundance Q&A with Todd Haynes, producer Christine Vachon and executive producer James Schamus, for the 20th Anniversary of the film’s Grand Jury Prize
• Archival 1999 audio commentary by Haynes, Vachon, and star/editor James Lyons
• Booklet essay by Dennis Lim, Director of Programming at Film at Lincoln Center
• Last Address, a short film by Ira Sachs (2010)
• Original 1991 U.S. theatrical trailer
• Optional English SDH subtitles

Poison_BR.jpg

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Wow, what a great bunch of new releases! I have The Gilded Lily in SD, but will RUSH to pick up this HD upgrade. It is a fabulous comedy directed by the great Wesley Ruggles. I just adore this film. Then we get a truly joyous DeMille, The Plainsman, another of my favorites. Delightful cover art for both. Truly exciting times we're enjoying...thanks to Kino!

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming July 20th!

Unconquered (1947)
• Audio Commentary by Film Critic Nick Pinkerton
• Theatrical Trailer
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc

Legendary director Cecil B. DeMille (The Sign of the Cross, Cleopatra, The Ten Commandments) delivers his trademark lavish spectacle, sizzling romance and intense drama in the grand historical epic Unconquered. Screen icon Gary Cooper (The Plainsman, High Noon) stars as peace-loving Chris Holden, an 18th-century militiaman who buys and then frees beautiful English slave Abby Hale (Paulette Goddard, The Cat and the Canary, Reap the Wild Wind). When a supplier of illegal firearms covets Abby for himself, he sparks a vicious battle between a Native American tribe and a few brave colonists. The eye-popping Technicolor cinematography by Ray Rennahan (Gone with the Wind) vividly captures the early American frontier. The star-studded supporting cast includes Howard Da Silva (The Lost Weekend), Boris Karloff (Frankenstein), Cecil Kellaway (Female on the Beach), Ward Bond (Canyon Passage), Henry Wilcoxon (Caddyshack), C. Aubrey Smith (Love Me Tonight), Virginia Grey (Madame X) and Mike Mazurki (I Walk Alone).

738329254247.jpg

[email protected]

Supporting Actor
I really hope Universal and Kino can keep working together, so many great titles being released. Growing up in the Chicago area, before cable television, VHS, etc, classic films, after awhile were reduced to playing between car and other local business commercial ad's, cut so bad, most of the time films started somewhere in the middle, making watching less and less enjoyable. So being able to further my library is very much appreciated. Once again, thank you Kino, and Universal!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Saturday's Facebook Announcement:

Coming Soon on Blu-ray!

Brand New Master from a 2K Scan of the Interpositive!

The Accused (1949)
Starring Loretta Young, Robert Cummings, Wendell Corey & Sam Jaffe – Shot by Milton R. Krasner (The Woman in the Window) – Directed by William Dieterle (The Life of Emile Zola, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, I’ll Be Seeing You, Portrait of Jennie).

May be an image of 1 person and text that says 'Paramount presents LORETTA ROBERT YOUNG and CUMMINGS Every- Thing Points To The Accused HAL WALLIS Production with WENDELL COREY SAM JAFFE DOUGLAS DICK WILLIAM OIETERLE Sereeaglar Birerted Ketti fring:'

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
The Accused is a pretty good noir with Young giving a nice performance. Wendell Corey is also good , as he usually is, in his understated way. An underrated film. Plus i can finally get rid of my old Roan flipper disc. :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The Accused is a pretty good noir with Young giving a nice performance. Wendell Corey is also good , as he usually is, in his understated way. An underrated film. Plus i can finally get rid of my old Roan flipper disc. :)
I agree as I can now get rid of my 2016 Universal Vault Series DVD.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks