What's new

Kino Lorber Insider (Read Guidelines Post #3) (10 Viewers)

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Coming to Blu-ray May 4th from Kino Classics and Something Weird Video!

Wages of Sin (1966)
Forbidden Fruit: The Golden Age of the Exploitation Picture, Volume 10

Weary of repackaging the creaky melodramas of the 1930s and ’40s, exploitation distributors in the 1960s began importing European films, which were more frank in their depictions of sexual matters. Any integrity the original films may have possessed was obliterated by the sensational titles and ad campaigns employed to market them to the American grindhouse. A perfect example is Der Arzt stellt fest... (The Doctor notes...), directed by Aleksander Ford (Mir Kumen On). A soap-style dramatization of life inside a women’s clinic, the film argues on behalf of birth control and safe, legal abortion. In the U.S., the film was released by Donn Davison as Wages of Sin and accompanied by a live lecture and additional childbirth shorts, both of which are included here. This Kino Classics edition includes another serious treatise on birth control (though one not sold on the exploitation circuit): The Misery and Fortune of Women, produced by Der Arzt stellt fest... co-producer Lazar Wechsler.

Special features:
*Audio commentary by film historian Alexandra Heller-Nicholas
*The Misery and Fortune of Women (1929, 58 min.)
*Donn Davison medical lecture/book pitch
*Life and Its Secrecies (11 min.)
*Triplets by Cesarean Section (8 min.)
*Trailer gallery

View attachment 91374
10 volumes, and every one of them are a treat, but for those of us who like these, how many volumes left,

Real Name
Insider
Coming to DVD and Blu-ray May 18th from Kino Classics and StudioCanal!

Madame Rosa (1977)
Directed by Moshe Mizrahi
Starring Simone Signoret

New 4K restoration!

Winner of the Academy Award® for Best Foreign Film, Madame Rosa (1977) is an enduring classic of cross-cultural understanding. Simone Signoret (Diabolique) stars as Madam Rosa, a French-Jewish survivor of the Holocaust who now runs a boarding house in Paris for the children of prostitutes. She takes a liking to Momo (Samy Ben Youb), an Algerian boy who she raises in the Muslim faith, a controversial decision in the midst of the Arab-Israeli conflict. But their bond transcends religion, and they scrape by as an unlikely but loving family. That is, until her health declines and the intolerance around them threatens to tear them apart.

Special features:
*Audio commentary by film historian Kat Ellinger
*Optional English subtitles

MadameRosa_forsocial2.jpg

Last edited:

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
Absolutely thrilled about MADAME ROSA. Now if we can only get a few more foreign classics out
on DVD or Blu-Ray, like GOOD MORNING BABYLON, THE WANNSEE CONFERENCE and the Belmondo
LES MISERABLES (with English subtitles). Well done, Kino!

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Coming to Blu-ray May 11th from Kino Classics and the the Friedrich Wilhelm Murnau Foundation!

To New Shores (1937) and La Habanera (1937)
The Douglas Sirk Collection

Douglas Sirk (All That Heaven Allows) would become synonymous with the 1950s American melodrama, but he was already reinventing the genre while working in Germany in the 1930s. This disc collects two of these rarely-seen, innovative films, both showcasing the talents of Swedish-born superstar Zarah Leander. To New Shores stars Leander as a woman sentenced to an Australian penal colony for a crime committed by her former lover (Willy Birgel). She eventually marries a farmer (Viktor Staal) and returns to the cabaret stage, but remains tragically fixated on the man who broke her heart. In La Habanera, Leander plays Astree, a Swedish woman who marries a Puerto Rican land baron (Ferdinand Marian). As years pass, their love fades, and Astree’s passions are reawakened by a doctor (Karl Martell) who has come to help fight a devastating epidemic, igniting the fury of her jealous husband. While she bore certain resemblances to Greta Garbo and Marlene Dietrich (with her sultry insouciance, defiance of authority, and her low singing voice), Zarah Leander was in fact a striking original, and has largely been overlooked by American audiences because of the inaccessibility of her films (produced at Ufa when the studio was under Reich control).

Special Features:
*Audio commentary for To New Shores by film historian Josh Nelson
*Audio commentary for La Habanera by film historian Olaf Möller
*Optional English subtitles

View attachment 91391
Love, LOVE, Zarah Leander! La Habanera is wonderful. Being from Puerto Rico I enjoyed it much more for its patent absurdities. Leander marries a corrupt Spanish land baron and is saved by an Aryan doctor who battles Puerto Rican fever! Delirious! I saw the film at MoMA and I highly recommend it.
Of course, looking forward to To New Shores.
And I love her singing voice. So did Hitler, alas! When his admiration for her grew too close, she fled to her native country.

Bernard McNair

Second Unit
Real Name
Bernard McNair
Madame Rosa, Kino scores another great home run.
Day 1 purchase.
Thank you for this and the great smorgasbord of foreign language films that you are serving us.

Real Name
Insider
Coming to DVD and Blu-ray May 18th from Cohen Film Collection and Kino Lorber!

It Happened Tomorrow (1944)
Directed by René Clair
Starring Dick Powell, Linda Darnell, Jack Oakie, Edgar Kennedy

What would happen if someone could get tomorrow’s newspaper headlines today? This charming period comedy tells the story of a reporter (Dick Powell) who wishes he could scoop his colleagues by knowing about events before they occur. When a mysterious old man gives him the news a day in advance, his life is turned upside down. Racing to prevent a headline predicting his own death, he gets mixed up with a beautiful fortune teller (Linda Darnell) and her overprotective uncle (Jack Oakie). It Happened Tomorrow was acclaimed French director René Clair’s (Beauty of the Devil) follow up to his equally enchanting I Married a Witch, both made during his exile in Hollywood during World War II. Clair’s famous whimsical style is evident in this cautionary tale; be careful—what you wish for might come true. This sparkling black and white film was restored from a 4K scan.

Special features:
*Optional English SDH subtitles
*Trailer

IT HAPPENED TOMORROW BD not final.jpg

lark144

Premium
Real Name
mark gross
Love, LOVE, Zarah Leander! La Habanera is wonderful. Being from Puerto Rico I enjoyed it much more for its patent absurdities. Leander marries a corrupt Spanish land baron and is saved by an Aryan doctor who battles Puerto Rican fever! Delirious! I saw the film at MoMA and I highly recommend it.
Of course, looking forward to To New Shores.
And I love her singing voice. So did Hitler, alas! When his admiration for her grew too close, she fled to her native country.
Yes, it's great to have Zarah Leander on Blu, especially directed by Sirk. I also saw "La Habanera" at MOMA. It was beyond delirious, but also strangely arresting and melancholy. The film seemed to be about something quite different from its story; displacement, perhaps, how just when you think you've found a place of your own, the rug is pulled out from under you. Also the inherent alienation of being a woman, how she is always a stranger in a strange land. It's very powerful, getting its impetus from that supposedly melodramatic trifle, which is both frothy and disturbing simultaneously. It really got under my skin. And of course, there's the richness of those black and white images, the blacks thick as chocolate mousse, the exoticism of the sets and costumes (Von Sternberg's "The Devil is a Woman" comes to mind) and more chiaroscuro than you can shake a stick at.

DonB34

Grip
Real Name
Donald
Coming to DVD and Blu-ray May 18th from Cohen Film Collection and Kino Lorber!

It Happened Tomorrow (1944)
Directed by René Clair
Starring Dick Powell, Linda Darnell, Jack Oakie, Edgar Kennedy

What would happen if someone could get tomorrow’s newspaper headlines today? This charming period comedy tells the story of a reporter (Dick Powell) who wishes he could scoop his colleagues by knowing about events before they occur. When a mysterious old man gives him the news a day in advance, his life is turned upside down. Racing to prevent a headline predicting his own death, he gets mixed up with a beautiful fortune teller (Linda Darnell) and her overprotective uncle (Jack Oakie). It Happened Tomorrow was acclaimed French director René Clair’s (Beauty of the Devil) follow up to his equally enchanting I Married a Witch, both made during his exile in Hollywood during World War II. Clair’s famous whimsical style is evident in this cautionary tale; be careful—what you wish for might come true. This sparkling black and white film was restored from a 4K scan.

Special features:
*Optional English SDH subtitles
*Trailer

View attachment 91407
Very excited for this one! I have the original Kino DVD but will pre-order this upgrade. Thanks! Any Linda Darnell is appreciated!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Please stop asking about titles, I'm not supposed to confirm or deny.
One post was deleted this morning because he asked about some particular titles. Post deletions and possible thread bans will be considered if posters don't stop asking about titles. As the Kino Insider stated, he isn't suppose to confirm or deny titles until Kino is ready for an official announcement. Please, respect his position on that matter. Thank you.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Saturday's Facebook Announcement:

COMING SOON!

BRAND NEW 2K MASTER!

GOLDEN NEEDLES (1974)
Starring Joe Don Baker, Jim Kelly, Burgess Meredith, Elizabeth Ashley, Ann Sothern, Roy Chiao – Music by Lalo Schifrin (Dirty Harry) – Shot by Gil Hubbs (Enter the Dragon) – Written by S. Lee Pogostin (High Road to China) and Sylvia Schneble (Invasion of the Bee Girls) – Directed by Robert Clouse (Enter the Dragon, Darker Than Amber, Black Belt Jones, The Amsterdam Kill, Game of Death, Force: Five, Gymkata, China O’Brien I & II).

May be an image of 5 people and text

timk1041

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Timothy
View attachment 90488

and this is why Kino is AWESOME beyond belief, they could have held on to the mystery of their TV releases and made this one of their big weekend announcements, instead "BAM" there you have it. Excited beyond belief, and awaiting all the info, as you are willing to share. Damn, this just made my day!
Looking forward to seeing this. I don't believe I have seen it since it was originally on TV years ago. Thanks, Kino!

Real Name
Kent
Saturday's Facebook Announcement:

COMING SOON!

BRAND NEW 2K MASTER!

GOLDEN NEEDLES (1974)
Starring Joe Don Baker, Jim Kelly, Burgess Meredith, Elizabeth Ashley, Ann Sothern, Roy Chiao – Music by Lalo Schifrin (Dirty Harry) – Shot by Gil Hubbs (Enter the Dragon) – Written by S. Lee Pogostin (High Road to China) and Sylvia Schneble (Invasion of the Bee Girls) – Directed by Robert Clouse (Enter the Dragon, Darker Than Amber, Black Belt Jones, The Amsterdam Kill, Game of Death, Force: Five, Gymkata, China O’Brien I & II).

May be an image of 5 people and text
I don't know this film at all but any opportunity that puts Burgess Meredith, Elizabeth Ashley, and Jim Kelly in the same presentation has my vote! Can't wait to see what this is!

Reactions: PMF

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
One post was deleted this morning because he asked about some particular titles. Post deletions and possible thread bans will be considered if posters don't stop asking about titles. As the Kino Insider stated, he isn't suppose to confirm or deny titles until Kino is ready for an official announcement. Please, respect his position on that matter. Thank you.
So, to make sure Im understanding correctly, we can still ask about title "possibilities", or make suggestions (for whatever theyre worth), we just can't ask if a certain title is definitely coming/is confirmed etc or, say, ask about details of a licensing deal which (as in most legal matters) the Insider is not at liberty to elaborate on until certain higher--ups say so.. Makes sense to me.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
So, to make sure Im understanding correctly, we can still ask about title "possibilities", or make suggestions (for whatever theyre worth), we just can't ask if a certain title is definitely coming/is confirmed etc or, say, ask about details of a licensing deal which (as in most legal matters) the Insider is not at liberty to elaborate on until certain higher--ups say so.. Makes sense to me.
Please, respect this thread's guidelines:

2. KINO LORBER INSIDER will only be posting release announcements. They will respond to questions they are allowed to answer. They have new KL guidelines to what questions they are allowed to answer and what they're not. The insider is not required to answer every question posed to him.

3. This thread is for announcements and reaction to the announcements only.

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
Why ask about possible titles or make suggestions when you will not receive a response. That sounds like a really waste of time.
I confess I was speaking semi--ironically/ deadpan--style. Note I did say "for whatever theyre worth" (meaning I'm not without doubt). Just so it's known, I did not say that out of disrespect to the Insider or admin. Hope that makes sense.

That said, Im not above admitting I can be forgetful from time to time, so if at some point weeks or months frm now I shld post a question about the possibility of a certain title(s), please know it's an honest accident.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Sunday's Facebook Announcement:

COMING SOON!

BRAND NEW 2K MASTER!

VERA CRUZ (1954)
Starring Gary Cooper, Burt Lancaster, Ernest Borgnine, Charles Bronson, Jack Elam, Denise Darcel, Cesar Romero, Sara Montiel and George Macready – Music by Hugh Friedhofer (Joan of Arc) – Shot by Ernest Laszlo (Judgment at Nuremberg) – A Hecht-Lancaster Production (Marty) – Screenplay by Roland Kibbee (Valdez is Coming) and James R. Webb (Cape Fear) – Based on a Story by Borden Chase (Winchester ’73) – Directed by Robert Aldrich (The Dirty Dozen).

May be an image of text that says 'HAROLD HECHT presents GARY COOPER BURT LANCASTER TECHNICOLOR VERA CRUZ SUPERSCOPE TIS PRESSBOOK'

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seann Luopa