What's new

Kino Lorber Insider (Read Guidelines Post #3) (17 Viewers)

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
This weekends Facebook/Twitter Announcements: 1930s Paramount/Universal Pre-Code and 1990s Universal.

View attachment 90583

Terror Aboard (1933) and The Apostle (1997)... Terror Aboard (1933) and The Apostle (1997)... please let it be both Terror Aboard (1933) and The Apostle (1997)...

7ab07154-519e-42dd-af62-c0e46465d7c6_1.cb46510bb4911fcac93a9a1937bf4cd7.jpeg

the-apostle-movie-poster-1998-1020196378.jpg

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Saturday's Facebook Announcement:

Coming Soon!

Brand New 2K Master!

Broken Lullaby (1932)
Starring Lionel Barrymore, Nancy Carroll & Zazu Pitts – Shot by Victor Milner (Cleopatra) – Screenplay by Samson Raphaelson (Suspicion) and Ernest Vajda (The Merry Widow) – Based on a Play by Maurice Rostand (A Good Little Devil) – Directed by Ernst Lubitsch (To Be or Not to Be).

May be an image of 1 person and text that says 'LIONEL BARRYMORE in Ernst Lubitschs THE BROKEN LULLABY PARAMOUNT'

ahollis

Premium
Real Name
Allen
Skippy is a 1930 film. The code went into effect in 1934, so it's a pre-code film.
Well, it’s from that era... 🤷‍♂️
While it is from that “era”, it doesn’t, in my opinion, qualify since it doesn't contain the elements of a pre-code ( depicted or implied sexual innuendo, romantic and sexual relationships between white and black people, mild profanity, illegal drug use, promiscuity, prostitution, infidelity, abortion, intense violence, and homosexuality.)

On the other hand, I am looking forward to seeing The Broken Lullaby for the first time. I heard and read about, but never seen it.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
honestly you could say that the pre-code era started in 1927, the first "talkie" till enforcement began in 1934, that doesn't mean that all films had to include subject matter that may have been suspect of the code

3exnwscnu2m21 (2).jpg

so really a most Buck Jones western doesn't fall into that category,

and again, maybe Pre-Codes on Blu & DVD needs it's own thread, because it covers a lot of genres

Attachments

• 1614452100810.png
    1614452100810.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 31
Last edited:

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero

Coming Soon!

Brand New 2K Master!

Broken Lullaby (1932)
Starring Lionel Barrymore, Nancy Carroll & Zazu Pitts – Shot by Victor Milner (Cleopatra) – Screenplay by Samson Raphaelson (Suspicion) and Ernest Vajda (The Merry Widow) – Based on a Play by Maurice Rostand (A Good Little Devil) – Directed by Ernst Lubitsch (To Be or Not to Be).

May be an image of 1 person and text that says 'LIONEL BARRYMORE in Ernst Lubitschs THE BROKEN LULLABY PARAMOUNT''LIONEL BARRYMORE in Ernst Lubitschs THE BROKEN LULLABY PARAMOUNT'
Also known as The Man I Killed. Not a comedy. Long overdue since the DVD is a disgrace. Remade by Ozon a few years back.

cadavra

Second Unit
Real Name
mike schlesinger

Coming Soon!

Brand New 2K Master!

Broken Lullaby (1932)

May be an image of 1 person and text that says 'LIONEL BARRYMORE in Ernst Lubitschs THE BROKEN LULLABY PARAMOUNT''LIONEL BARRYMORE in Ernst Lubitschs THE BROKEN LULLABY PARAMOUNT'

Great news! This is a sensational drama and easily the most un-Lubitsch Lubitsch film of all.

lark144

Premium
Real Name
mark gross
It's very un-Lubitsch-like in terms of subject matter, but in terms of style, pacing, imagery, counterpoint, an emphasis on different kinds of performance styles and line readings among the actors to delineate character and also to incorperate a certain kind of variety and liveliness, as well as a certain sardonic humor that creeps in every now and then, and above all, an emphasis on visual expression and the purity of that representation that reverberates through the story and the theme; it is very Lubitsch-like.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Sunday's Facebook Announcement:

Coming Soon!

Brand New 2K Master!

Man on the Moon (1999)
Starring Jim Carrey, Danny DeVito, Courtney Love & Paul Giamatti – Music by R.E.M. – Screenplay by Scott Alexander (Ed Wood) and Larry Karaszewski (The People vs. Larry Flynt) – Directed by Milos Forman (One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest).

May be an image of 1 person, standing, indoor and text that says 'Hello, my name is Andy and this is my poster. JIM CARREY IS ANDY KAUFMAN IN MAN ON THE MOON'

Ken Koc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc

Coming Soon!

Brand New 2K Master!

Man on the Moon (1999)
Starring Jim Carrey, Danny DeVito, Courtney Love & Paul Giamatti – Music by R.E.M. – Screenplay by Scott Alexander (Ed Wood) and Larry Karaszewski (The People vs. Larry Flynt) – Directed by Milos Forman (One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest).

May be an image of 1 person, standing, indoor and text that says 'Hello, my name is Andy and this is my poster. JIM CARREY IS ANDY KAUFMAN IN MAN ON THE MOON''Hello, my name is Andy and this is my poster. JIM CARREY IS ANDY KAUFMAN IN MAN ON THE MOON'
There is a sequence where "Tony Clifton" is doing a show at Harrahs Lake Tahoe. I was one of the few in the audience on his opening night at the Statelline Cabaret.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren

Coming Soon!

Brand New 2K Master!

Man on the Moon (1999)

May be an image of 1 person, standing, indoor and text that says 'Hello, my name is Andy and this is my poster. JIM CARREY IS ANDY KAUFMAN IN MAN ON THE MOON''Hello, my name is Andy and this is my poster. JIM CARREY IS ANDY KAUFMAN IN MAN ON THE MOON'
FINALLY!!!!!!!

Reactions: PMF

cadavra

Second Unit
Real Name
mike schlesinger
It's very un-Lubitsch-like in terms of subject matter, but in terms of style, pacing, imagery, counterpoint, an emphasis on different kinds of performance styles and line readings among the actors to delineate character and also to incorperate a certain kind of variety and liveliness, as well as a certain sardonic humor that creeps in every now and then, and above all, an emphasis on visual expression and the purity of that representation that reverberates through the story and the theme; it is very Lubitsch-like.

A fair point, but yes, obviously, I was referring to the content, not the craftsmanship.

Reactions: PMF

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seann Luopa