What's new

Kino Lorber Insider (Read Guidelines Post #3) (7 Viewers)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Are you saying that you worked on this series?
Not to speak for Gary but he's a film/TV historian and he wrote Pumpkinhead. You can hear him on commentaries for The Twilight Zone and The Outer Limits. I still remember reading a copy of his book Fantastic Television that was in my middle school's library. It was probably the first time that I saw an episode guide for anything other than The Twilight Zone and I pored over that thing to see what episodes of The Adventures Of Superman that I had and hadn't seen.

Real Name
Insider
Thought it was said this title was still with another label? Guess it wasn't after all. :) (or did their rights expire or a separation in DVD and Blu-Ray rights?)
We had asked for it when we were working on our first deal and second deals and both times we were told it was not available. I guess the third time's the charm. We acquired the Blu-ray rights, the DVD rights are still with Universal.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
thank you for the response

yes I know, that is why I ask. I like his perspective in the art, of capturing the idea without giving it all away, and still retro 70's with the use of color.
This is one of those "I don't care if it's in a paper bag" releases but I love Phillips and it would create a nice symmetry with the two TV movies if he does this one.

Gerani53

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gary Gerani
Are you saying that you worked on this series?
I didn't work on the TV show itself, but I've been asked to be one of the commentators for this new Kino Blu-ray release of the series. I wrote about KOLCHAK as early as 1976; it was one of the "Fine Tuning" entries in FANTASTIC TELEVISION. How wonderful is it that Kino finally nabbed the rights to do this one... and we know they'll do it right.

Attachments

• Kolchak.jpeg
    Kolchak.jpeg
    716.4 KB · Views: 25

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
Sean Phillips designed the covers for THE NIGHT STALKER and THE NIGHT STRANGLER TV movies, I haven't been told if he'll be designing this set or not.
Mr. Phillips' art is very good & would be great if used for the series set. It would also further "link" the two properties (which are, ofcourse, owned by two different studios).
My personal favorite "Kolchak" cover art is that used by MGM for their double--feature DVD. Apparently I'm not alone, as that artwork turns up a LOT online -- eg. whenever there's a home video announcement..

With this coming release, I need only to find a CD of the series' soundtrack (Have heard rumors of a new complete--sndtrk release being in the offing, but unfortnately nothing firm), and then my life as a "Kolchak" fan shld be complete.. :>]

Last edited:

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I hope the Kolchak's aren't the edited versions. If I remember correctly there were a lot of complaints about the violence after the first 3 or 4 episodes and scenes were edited out for the reruns.
It all depends on what Universal provides and if they still have the original prints with different opening titles for the 1st four episodes assuming they weren't lost in the fire.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
It all depends on what Universal provides and if they still have the original prints with different opening titles for the 1st four episodes assuming they weren't lost in the fire.
that's what I was thinking as well, but if Outer Limits release is any indication, I believe that a lot of people are going to be extremely happy,

also there is a thread in the TV on DVD & Blu that the rest of our speculation should probably be discussed, so this doesn't, get too far off track, have some ideas to discuss there

Kolchak: The Night Stalker: Complete Series

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Oh yes... the commentators will all be experts, so I imagine every aspect of our twenty-episode wonder will be covered.
I doubt I'm telling you something you don't know but back in Fangoria #3 (from late 1979), they had an article and episode guide on Kolchak. Thanks to The Sopranos, the most interesting aspect of the article is that they have a few quotes about working on the series from story editor David Chase.

Someone has a scan of the pages here: http://draczz.blogspot.com/2019/09/kolchak-night-stalker-alien-fangoria-3.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seann Luopa