What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (9 Viewers)

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming May 18th from Scorpion Releasing and Kino Lorber!

The Daydreamer (1966)
• Audio Commentary by Rankin/Bass Historian and Author Rick Goldschmidt with Film Historian Lee Gambin
• Trailers
• Optional English Subtitles

A Rankin/Bass Animagic Classic! Join young Hans Christian Andersen as he daydreams his way to adventure through his most famous fairytales. In The Little Mermaid, everyone's favorite girl of the sea (Hayley Mills) must triumph over the evil Sea Witch (Tallulah Bankhead) with a little help from Father Neptune (Burl Ives). In The Emperor's New Clothes, a pair of villainous tailors (Victor Borge and Terry-Thomas) create a surprising new outfit for a gullible king (Ed Wynn). The fun continues with Oscar-winner Patty Duke as Thumbelina, Ray Bolger as the Pieman, Boris Karloff as a sinister rat, Margaret Hamilton as the mean Mrs. Klopplebobbler and much more in this timeless kid's classic filmed in both live-action and 'Animagic' by Rankin/Bass, the creators of Frosty the Snowman, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer and The Wacky World of Mother Goose.

738329253714.jpg

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming May 25th!

Honky Tonk Freeway (1981)
• 4K Restoration from the Original Camera Negative!
• Audio Commentary by Producer Don Boyd with Film Historian/Filmmaker Daniel Kremer and Film Historian/Biographer Nat Segaloff
• Theatrical Trailer
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc
• Optional English Subtitles

Something Funny Is Happening on This Freeway! From John Schlesinger, the legendary director of Midnight Cowboy, The Day of the Locust, Marathon Man, The Falcon and the Snowman and The Believers, comes this hilarious road comedy with an all-star cast. Welcome to Ticaw, Florida, a tiny town just off the highway with big dreams of attracting huge tourist dollars. But when construction of the new freeway leaves them without a crucial exit ramp, the desperate townsfolk decide to take motor matters into their own hands. Now with the help of a water-skiing elephant, a rampaging rhino, some well-placed explosives and an invasion of very odd travelers, this busy freeway is about to take one extremely strange detour. Starring Beau Bridges (The Landlord), Hume Cronyn (Lifeboat), Beverly D’Angelo (Finders Keepers), William Devane (Rolling Thunder), George Dzundza (Basic Instinct), Teri Garr (Miracles), Howard Hesseman (Amazon Women on the Moon), Geraldine Page (The Beguiled), David Rasche (Delirious), Daniel Stern (The Milagro Beanfield War) and Jessica Tandy (Still of the Night).

738329253127.jpg

Last edited:

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Beyond the Time Barrier is from 1960 so maybe there is a glimmer of hope for that one
The MGM released Monogram Charlie Chan films are also not in this deal either. Id love to have a Blu-ray set of those films on two discs, and retire the bulky DVD box set.

Barnduke98

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alex Thieu.
Any word on universal horror new disc to make it finally come out light of day never been released horror 1930s and 1940s hd remastered missing guest and the spider woman strikes back and the cat creeps between.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Is DARLING an MGM title?

are there any Best Picture noms left that MGM controls besides THE ALAMO?

Well, it was distributed in the US by Embassy, so MGM may still have the US rights to it. But Studio Canal would be my guess.

Darling was released in the UK in 2015 by Studio Canal, so the question remains how many titles does Kino have left in their deal with Studio Canal? The fact that it was an MGM distributed property in the US may have some sway on it as well, I would love to see a release this side of the pond.

Beyond the Time Barrier is from 1960 so maybe there is a glimmer of hope for that one
The MGM released Monogram Charlie Chan films are also not in this deal either. Id love to have a Blu-ray set of those films on two discs, and retire the bulky DVD box set.

I agree, that it would be nice to have those, but that would require how much work to be properly presented, that release is now pushing over 16 years old, and am unsure that it would meet the standard required.

at this point I am just happy that all of the 20th titles were released before the the absorption that studio, so that at least what was not lost, at least exist on disc.

waiting to see what other surprises Kino has in store.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Just a heads up - If there have been some Kino releases that you have wanted but didn't have enough for free shipping -Target is having a 20% of with the Circle discount on their website - Free shipping with $35.00 USD orders - including groceries etc. Or free shipping by paying with Target Red Card.

Not All Titles are listed at this link - you may have to search for the title you want and confirm the format ...

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
That would not be a Blu-ray. The data only exists in 480i, as a widescreen image within a 1.33 box.
I know I'm very much a minority, but I'd buy that to replace the two-VHS release. I believe I read you saying that a blu could be produced of the shorter theatrical release (using the same master as the DVD?), and that roadshow could be an extra. Or maybe I read you wrong about the theatrical blu. (It was a while back.)

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Darling is with MGM and it was licensed to another label in 2015 after we dropped it. At that time the studio holding the film elements in the UK did not want to work with us on the master.
Seeing as how no one has released it, I’m guessing the studio who controls the film elements won’t allow it to be released in North America?

So KINO dropped the title because you had no access to THOSE specific elements, or any elements at all?

it’s very frustrating. I’ve been waiting for this title for a long time. :(

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Putting into perspective if a movie like Time Travelers can receive a Blu-ray release so should Beyond the Time Barrier, Pharaoh's Curse and The Flame Barrier since they are all in the B movie category. Some would argue those films, at least the first two are more entertaining than Time Travelers. But that's all in ones own taste.
Here's hoping for a biggie 40s Noir this weekend ! :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Saturday's Facebook Announcement:

Coming Soon!

The Web (1947)
Starring Edmond O’Brien, Vincent Price, Ella Raines & William Bendix – Shot by Irving Glassberg (The Tarnished Angels) – Screenplay by William Bowers (The Gunfighter) & Bertram Millhauser (The Suspect) – Story by Harry Kurnitz (The Man Between) – Directed by Michael Gordon (Woman in Hiding).

Image may contain: 4 people, text that says 'UNVERSALTERINALrsents INTERNATION UNIVERSAL presetts EDMOND O'BRIEN ELLA RAINES WILLIAM BENDIY VINCENT PRICE The WEB MARIA PALMER JOHN ABBOTT Universal International FRITZ LEIBER HOWLAND CHAMBERLIN Screenplay WILLIAM BOWERS and BERTRAM MILL HAUSER Based Directed byM ICHAEL GORDON Produced JERRY BRESLER Story Harry ERNAT IONAL PICTURE S 47/220'

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks