What's new

Kino Lorber Insider (Read Guidelines Post #3) (8 Viewers)

Real Name
Insider
Coming May 25th!

The Night of the Following Day (1969)
• Audio Commentary by Film Historian Tim Lucas
• Audio Commentary by Director Hubert Cornfield
• TRAILERS FROM HELL with Joe Dante
• Theatrical Trailer (Newly Mastered in HD)
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc
• Optional English Subtitles

Color 93 Minutes 1.85:1 Rated R
The Higher the Stakes, the Higher the Terror! Screen greats Marlon Brando (On the Waterfront) and Richard Boone (The War Lord) star in this taut psychological thriller that examines the darkest impulses of the human psyche. A gang of four professional criminals brazenly kidnaps a wealthy teenage girl (Pamela Franklin, The Innocents) from an airport in Paris in a meticulous plan to extort money from the girl’s father. Holding her prisoner in an isolated beach house, the gang’s scheme runs perfectly until their personal demons surface and lead to a series of betrayals that culminate in a furious and explosive climax. The film that Time called “a keenly conducted seminar in the poetics of psychological terror” is a must-see for Brando fans. Co-written, produced and directed by Hubert Cornfield (Pressure Point) and co-starring Rita Moreno (West Side Story), Jess Hahn (Bad Man’s River) and Al Lettieri (Mr. Majestyk).

738329252977.jpg

Last edited:

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I love Night of the Following Day. I have the overseas Blu-ray - it's decent but not perfect and given the specs above I'm sure this will be the same transfer. Would love to hear otherwise but suspect I won't when all the info says is that the trailer is remastered in HD (!) - don't really care about that.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I just want to thank Kino Lorber for going the extra mile to provide all the specials features on the Wings of the Hawk disc.
So for $17.97 we get:
  • Includes 3-D and 2-D Versions of the Feature and Cartoon
  • Newly Restored in 3-D by 3-D Film Archive – From 2K Scan of the Left & Right Eye IPs
  • Full Feature Audio Commentary by Film Historian Jeremy Arnold
  • Includes Hypnotic Hick - 1953 Woody Woodpecker Cartoon
  • 20-Minute Audio Commentary by 3-D Expert Mike Ballew
  • Theatrical Trailer
  • 3.0 Original 1953 High Dynamic Range Theatrical Mix
  • 5.1 Surround (2020 Compressed 3.0 Midnight Movie Mix)
  • Dual-Layered BD50 Disc
Or I could buy The Court Jester for $22.99 and I get from this exclusive release from Paramount Presents:
  • NEW Filmmaker Focus: Leonard Maltin on The Court Jester HD
  • Theatrical Trailer
  • Mono sound (when it should be 3.0 from Perspective track)
I guess Paramount goes the extra mile to give us practically nothing in extras. Who really cares about their customers? Kino Lorber or Paramount Presents?

Real Name
Insider
Coming May 25th!

Million Dollar Mystery (1987)
• Audio Commentary by Entertainment Journalist and Author Bryan Reesman
• Theatrical Trailer
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc

Color 95 Minutes 2.35:1 Rated PG
From Richard Fleischer, the acclaimed director of The Narrow Margin, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, The Vikings, Compulsion, The Don Is Dead and Mr. Majestyk, comes this wild and wacky comedy in the tradition of It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World and Scavenger Hunt. There are millions hidden somewhere nearby… and these wild and crazy people will do almost anything to find it. In a dingy diner somewhere in the southwest desert, a former White House aide takes a seat at the counter, orders a bowl of chili and suddenly drops dead of a heart attack. But before he dies, he reveals to the rest of the customers that he’s hidden $4 million in embezzled loot on four different bridges throughout Arizona. Now a frantic pack of cash-crazed strangers—including a pair of nerdy newlyweds, a family of snooty yuppies, a sexy girl group, professional wrestlers, bumbling federal agents and one very deranged ranger—will speed off by land, sea and air on an insane race for riches. How far will they go in the ultimate dash for cash? Written by Tim Metcalfe (Revenge of the Nerds), Miguel Tejada-Flores (Screamers) and Rudy De Luca (Transylvania 6-5000) and starring Eddie Deezen (Grease), Tom Bosley (TV’s Happy Days), Rick Overton (Eight Legged Freaks), Rich Hall (TV’s Not Necessarily the News), Kevin Pollak (The Usual Suspects), H.B. Haggerty (Deathsport), Rudy De Luca (High Anxiety) and Playboy playmate Penny Baker.

738329253141.jpg

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I just want to thank Kino Lorber for going the extra mile to provide all the specials features on the Wings of the Hawk disc.
So for $17.97 we get:
  • Includes 3-D and 2-D Versions of the Feature and Cartoon
  • Newly Restored in 3-D by 3-D Film Archive – From 2K Scan of the Left & Right Eye IPs
  • Full Feature Audio Commentary by Film Historian Jeremy Arnold
  • Includes Hypnotic Hick - 1953 Woody Woodpecker Cartoon
  • 20-Minute Audio Commentary by 3-D Expert Mike Ballew
  • Theatrical Trailer
  • 3.0 Original 1953 High Dynamic Range Theatrical Mix
  • 5.1 Surround (2020 Compressed 3.0 Midnight Movie Mix)
  • Dual-Layered BD50 Disc
Or I could buy The Court Jester for $22.99 and I get from this exclusive release from Paramount Presents:
  • NEW Filmmaker Focus: Leonard Maltin on The Court Jester HD
  • Theatrical Trailer
  • Mono sound (when it should be 3.0 from Perspective track)
I guess Paramount goes the extra mile to give us practically nothing in extras. Who really cares about their customers? Kino Lorber or Paramount Presents?

I hear you regarding the Paramount releases, to a point.

Titles we have been screaming for a decade to have released on Blu, such as COURT JESTER and ROMAN HOLIDAY and BAD NEWS BEARS, are now getting released. Many here would prefer to have bare-bones editions of such films (and not all of them are) rather than not have the movies at all, as long as the PQ and sound are up to par. Hey, WAC doesn't add a lot of material to their releases either, unless they are ported over from DVD's, yet we correctly praise the hell out of them for getting us these movies we've been hoping would happen before physical media dies out altogether. I say to both WAC and Paramount: thanks for opening your vaults and helping us narrow our want lists. Would that Disney would begin following their example.

Kino is a different animal. I still cannot fathom how they remain in business by releasing hundreds of Blu-rays each year, many of which some of us have never heard of, most of which have, at the very least, a commentary and trailer for bonus material. Some, such as WINGS OF THE HAWK, offer far more than that. They cover all genres, and fortunately also have an interest in foreign language films. It's as though the company is owned by self-made billionaires who are also avid movie fans and historians.

ScottHM

Premium
Real Name
Scott
Titles we have been screaming for a decade to have released on Blu, such as COURT JESTER and ROMAN HOLIDAY and BAD NEWS BEARS, are now getting released. Many here would prefer to have bare-bones editions of such films (and not all of them are) rather than not have the movies at all, as long as the PQ and sound are up to par.
Life is too short for a lot of extra features. Give me quality films and transfers and I'm happy.

---------------

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
According to IMDB about Million Dollar Mystery, it was one of the biggest flops of the ‘80s. They had a contest to find $1,000,000 in the real world through clues from the film.

apparently, the film only grossed $1,000,000... so the winner, someone from Bakersfield, I believe, got the film’s profits.

I can’t say this is a ripoff of MAD WORLD, rather an homage, but it seems to me if they had used bigger stars it might have done better.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
According to IMDB about Million Dollar Mystery, it was one of the biggest flops of the ‘80s. They had a contest to find $1,000,000 in the real world through clues from the film.

apparently, the film only grossed $1,000,000... so the winner, someone from Bakersfield, I believe, got the film’s profits.

I can’t say this is a ripoff of MAD WORLD, rather an homage, but it seems to me if they had used bigger stars it might have done better.
Million Dollar Mystery was basically a marketing stunt created by Glad trash bags.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Life is too short for a lot of extra features. Give me quality films and transfers and I'm happy.

---------------
I watch the special features but the reality now is that special features are an expense that studios are rarely interested in any more. Some new releases will get a documentary (The Rise Of Skywalker had a great one) but when it comes to catalog titles, it's basically just the independents that create special features today. Like it or not, the golden age of home video is over and it's never going to be 2002 again.

ScottHM

Premium
Real Name
Scott
I watch the special features but the reality now is that special features are an expense that studios are rarely interested in any more.
I like special features too, but the reality is that I have over 900 movies in my home video collection that I haven't watched yet (not to mention all the television episodes piled up). If I want to listen to commentaries and watch featurettes I'm going to have to retire and stop buying movies.
---------------

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I like special features too, but the reality is that I have over 900 movies in my home video collection that I haven't watched yet (not to mention all the television episodes piled up). If I want to listen to commentaries and watch featurettes I'm going to have to retire and stop buying movies.
---------------
That sounds like a personal problem

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
hear you regarding the Paramount releases, to a point.

Titles we have been screaming for a decade to have released on Blu, such as COURT JESTER and ROMAN HOLIDAY and BAD NEWS BEARS, are now getting released. Many here would prefer to have bare-bones editions of such films (and not all of them are) rather than not have the movies at all, as long as the PQ and sound are up to par. Hey, WAC doesn't add a lot of material to their releases either, unless they are ported over from DVD's, yet we correctly praise the hell out of them for getting us these movies we've been hoping would happen before physical media dies out altogether. I say to both WAC and Paramount: thanks for opening your vaults and helping us narrow our want lists. Would that Disney would begin following their example.

Kino is a different animal. I still cannot fathom how they remain in business by releasing hundreds of Blu-rays each year, many of which some of us have never heard of, most of which have, at the very least, a commentary and trailer for bonus material. Some, such as WINGS OF THE HAWK, offer far more than that. They cover all genres, and fortunately also have an interest in foreign language films. It's as though the company is owned by self-made billionaires who are also avid movie fans and historians.

At the minimum The Court Jester should have been released with 3.0 sound not mono. The other Paramount Presents titles are 5.1 if they had stereo tracks when they were released theatrically.

Real Name
Insider
Coming May 18th from Scorpion Releasing and Kino Lorber!

Baxter (1989)
• Audio Commentary by Filmmaker Mark Savage
• Trailers
• In French with Optional English Subtitles

Color 82 Minutes 1.66:1 Rated R
He’ll Love You to Death! Baxter, a sociopathic bull terrier, stars in this chilling French horror film that blends thrills and black comedy into a truly original tale. The inner thoughts of the brooding Baxter reveal that he is quite unhappy with his situation—living with an elderly woman (French screen legend Lise Delamare, the star of the Jean Renoir classic, La Marseillaise) who is afraid of him. In search of his ideal master, he successfully plots how to do away with her—and attempts a similar plan when he becomes dissatisfied with his next owner. It's not long before the ingenious Baxter finds the perfect guardian—a lonely, introverted boy whose macabre interest in Hitler's personal life helps turn the all-too-willing canine into a thoroughbred killing machine. Top critic Vincent Canby (The New York Times) called BaxterOne of the Best Films of the Year.

Baxter_BD.jpg

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I'm not aware of what they own these days, but I hope it includes some films from Hollywood's Golden Age. :)

Either way, it's nice to hear of dozens of additional titles being licensed, even if they all happened to fall outside my main era of interest (I'm aware of the Ted Turner deal in the mid 1980's or so, so I'm assuming the content that's been licensed here leans heavily towards films from more recent decades).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samuel698