What's new

Kino Lorber Insider (Read Guidelines Post #3) (32 Viewers)

Camps

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom
I believe they've explained previously that they sometimes have to buy packages of titles and are contractually required to release all of them. They cannot just pick and choose the titles they want to release.

Yes, you're right. They have indeed. Shame that Universal would push this 2.9-IMDb-rated turd on the good folks at KL when there are real treasures buried somewhere in their vault.

Real Name
Insider
Coming to DVD and Blu-ray March 30th from Kino Lorber!

The Projectionist (2019)
Directed by Abel Ferrara

This documentary portrait of theater operator Nicolas “Nick” Nicolaou moves from 1970s Times Square adult film houses through decades of city regulation, chain takeovers, and cultural shifts, charting a charming odyssey through the history of film exhibition and New York City. Abel Ferrara (Pasolini, Tommaso) traces the life and work of friend and fellow cinephile Nicolaou, a Cypriot immigrant who began working as a teenager in small neighborhood movie theaters around Manhattan, defying gentrification, changing viewing habits and corporate dominance in the 1980s, only to emerge decades later as one of New York City’s last independent theater owners. A moving tribute to friendship, tenacity and the love of cinema, The Projectionist is also a timely paean to what going to the movies is all about.

Special features:
*Cinevangelist: A Life in Revival Film (2018, a short documentary by Matt Barry)
*Optional English SDH subtitles
*Trailers

Projectionist_BR.jpg

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Coming May 4th!

Cool as Ice (1991)
• Audio Commentary by Film Historians Alexandra Heller-Nicholas and Joshua Nelson
• Theatrical Trailer
• Optional English Subtitles

Color 91 Minutes 1.85:1 Rated PG
Featuring chart-topping music, Cool as Ice stars recording artist Vanilla Ice in his exciting motion picture debut. Johnny (Vanilla Ice) is a freewheeling, motorcycle-riding musician who rolls into a small town with his band. There he meets Kathy (Kristin Minter, TV’s ER), a high school honor student who catches his eye and his heart. Can a “good” girl like Kathy fall for such a “bad” guy? It’s modern romance with a beat in this fast-paced film with stunning visual style and a hit soundtrack. Directed by David Kellogg (Inspector Gadget).

View attachment 86303
Totally in for this, day one.
“Drop that zero and get with a hero!”

I had the soundtrack for this for years and saw Vanilla Ice in concert several times including when he swapped over to a Korn type sound (yes this happened).

Everyone has their guilty pleasures, this one is mine. Thanks KL!

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
I had the soundtrack for this for years and saw Vanilla Ice in concert several times including when he swapped over to a Korn type sound (yes this happened).

Everyone has their guilty pleasures, this one is mine. Thanks KL!
I tip my hat to you, Timothy. It takes bravery to admit liking this movie. (and let's face it, we ALL probably have "guilty pleasure" movies that we like).

I would include THE OSCAR, FEMALE ON THE BEACH, and SONG OF NORWAY as three recent cases where Kino Lorber satisfied MY need for guilty pleasures. Hats off to them as well.

cadavra

Second Unit
Real Name
mike schlesinger
And my own hat's off to KL for allowing me to do a number of commentaries on personal favorites, especially those pictures whose reputations aren't as high as they should be. It's a pleasure to work with folks who really care about their product, unlike some places I've worked (cough Sony cough).

Real Name
Insider
Coming May 11th!

Horizons West (1952)
• Audio Commentary by Film Historian Toby Roan
• Theatrical Trailer

Color 81 Minutes 1.37:1 Not Rated
From Budd Boetticher, the outstanding director of Red Ball Express, Wings of the Hawk, 7 Men from Now, The Tall T and Ride Lonesome, comes this classic western starring screen legends Robert Ryan (Day of the Outlaw) and Rock Hudson (Showdown). Post-Civil War Texas hosts a classic tale of brother against brother. After returning from the war, Dan Hammond (Ryan) sees his high hopes fall apart under the pressure of gambling debts. He turns to a life of crime, pitting him against his younger brother Neil (Hudson), the new local marshal. The stupendous cast also includes Julie Adams (Bend of the River), Raymond Burr (Pitfall), John McIntire (Rough Night in Jericho), James Arness (TV’s Gunsmoke), Dennis Weaver (Duel at Diablo) and Judith Braun (Red Ball Express).

738329253042.jpg

Barnduke98

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alex Thieu.
Seem look like kino lorbee they put more universal western that great seller for well coming up already. I remember see horizon west on tv encode western is great movie.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Today's Facebook Announcement:

1611169847026.png

Coming May 11th!

Quantez (1957)

• Audio Commentary by Film Historian Toby Roan
• Theatrical Trailer
Color 81 Minutes 2.35:1 Not Rated

Screen legend Fred MacMurray (Gun for a Coward, Double Indemnity) stars as John Coventry, the leader of a gang of robbers trying to escape across the Mexican border. The outlaws manage to elude the law and navigate the rough terrain, but the flight comes to a dangerous halt in the mysterious abandoned town of Quantez. As their enemies get closer, tempers flare, betrayals set in and lines are drawn between the men. Ruthless criminals end up as heroes and villains plunge further into despair in this suspenseful, action-packed western. Wonderfully directed by Harry Keller (The Female Animal) and co-starring Dorothy Malone (Pillars of the Sky), James Barton (The Shepherd of the Hills), Sydney Chaplin (Limelight), John Gavin (Midnight Lace), John Larch (Play Misty for Me) and Michael Ansara (Texas Across the River).

Real Name
Insider
Coming May 4th!

CB4 (1993)
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historians Alexandra Heller-Nicholas & Josh Nelson
• NEW Interview with Director Tamra Davis
• Theatrical Trailer

Color 89 Minutes 1.85:1 Rated R
Sex, Rhymes and Keepin’ It Real!
Comedy superstar Chris Rock (Lethal Weapon 4, New Jack City) stars in CB4, an off-the-hook, hilarious look at the world of gangsta rap. Rock plays Albert, a.k.a. MC Gusto, the leader of the hot new rap group CB4 (short for “Cell Block 4”). The trio of CB4—MC Gusto, Stab Master Arson (Deezer D, TV’s ER) and Dead Mike (Allen Payne, Jason’s Lyric)—are living large as their hardcore albums blow up the charts. Their rise to fame takes an unfortunate turn when they’re caught up as subjects of a documentary by corny filmmaker A. White (Chris Elliott, Cabin Boy) and victims of a political campaign by Republican Virgil Robinson (Phil Hartman, TV’s Saturday Night Live). And when the reality hits the streets that these cats are just three middle-class kids posing as ex-con thugs, their world of money, power and respect takes a beat-down in the most embarrassing and ludicrous ways. This outrageous “rapumentary” is packed with cameos by real O.G. rap legends like Ice-T, Flavor Flav and Easy E, and studded with special guest appearances by Tommy Davidson, Halle Berry and Shaquille O’Neal. Directed by Tamra Davis (Billy Madison, Half Baked) and co-starring Charlie Murphy (Norbit and TV’s Chappelle’s Show), CB4 is a hysterical stroll through the streets of hardcore hip-hop!

We’re also hoping to add a NEW interview with Star Chris Rock!

738329251239.jpg

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
As a western film aficionado I've never seen this western or at least have any memory of seeing it, so I'm looking forward to this BD release.
I have Quantez on a dvd-r from Universal. Pretty good western about a group of outlaws on the run. Malone is the leaders woman whom they all fight over. Pretty gritty western with MacMurray in his tough guy mode. A sure upgrade for me.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
As a western film aficionado I've never seen this western or at least have any memory of seeing it, so I'm looking forward to this BD release.
I have the German blu ray which looks decent enough but I'll be "upgrading" for the commentary. Trivia: Dorothy Malone's character is named Chaney. Her next film was Man Of A Thousand Faces where she plays Lon Chaney's wife!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Coming May 4th!

CB4 (1993)
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historians Alexandra Heller-Nicholas & Josh Nelson
• NEW Interview with Director Tamra Davis
• Theatrical Trailer

Color 89 Minutes 1.85:1 Rated R
Sex, Rhymes and Keepin’ It Real!
Comedy superstar Chris Rock (Lethal Weapon 4, New Jack City) stars in CB4, an off-the-hook, hilarious look at the world of gangsta rap. Rock plays Albert, a.k.a. MC Gusto, the leader of the hot new rap group CB4 (short for “Cell Block 4”). The trio of CB4—MC Gusto, Stab Master Arson (Deezer D, TV’s ER) and Dead Mike (Allen Payne, Jason’s Lyric)—are living large as their hardcore albums blow up the charts. Their rise to fame takes an unfortunate turn when they’re caught up as subjects of a documentary by corny filmmaker A. White (Chris Elliott, Cabin Boy) and victims of a political campaign by Republican Virgil Robinson (Phil Hartman, TV’s Saturday Night Live). And when the reality hits the streets that these cats are just three middle-class kids posing as ex-con thugs, their world of money, power and respect takes a beat-down in the most embarrassing and ludicrous ways. This outrageous “rapumentary” is packed with cameos by real O.G. rap legends like Ice-T, Flavor Flav and Easy E, and studded with special guest appearances by Tommy Davidson, Halle Berry and Shaquille O’Neal. Directed by Tamra Davis (Billy Madison, Half Baked) and co-starring Charlie Murphy (Norbit and TV’s Chappelle’s Show), CB4 is a hysterical stroll through the streets of hardcore hip-hop!

We’re also hoping to add a NEW interview with Star Chris Rock!

View attachment 86479
God, what a funny movie. I can't wait to pick this up.

cadavra

Second Unit
Real Name
mike schlesinger

Back in my hometown of Dayton, there was a second-run house downtown called the RKO State, which I liked a lot because it had stadium seating before that was an actual thing. I spent a lot of time there in the mid-60s, because they often picked up pictures that had only opened in drive-ins (I wasn't yet old enough to drive), so it was where I first saw an awful lot of AIP movies. But every so often, when there was nothing new, they'd bring back some Universal titles from the 50s, giving me my first chance to see the likes of THIS ISLAND EARTH, TARANTULA and SHRINKING MAN. But for some odd reason, they were always paired with a western, so I ended up watching stuff like NIGHT PASSAGE and QUANTEZ as well. I haven't seen the latter since then, but remember liking it quite a lot, so I'm absolutely looking forward to this.

lark144

Premium
Real Name
mark gross
Back in my hometown of Dayton, there was a second-run house downtown called the RKO State, which I liked a lot because it had stadium seating before that was an actual thing. I spent a lot of time there in the mid-60s, because they often picked up pictures that had only opened in drive-ins (I wasn't yet old enough to drive), so it was where I first saw an awful lot of AIP movies. But every so often, when there was nothing new, they'd bring back some Universal titles from the 50s, giving me my first chance to see the likes of THIS ISLAND EARTH, TARANTULA and SHRINKING MAN. But for some odd reason, they were always paired with a western, so I ended up watching stuff like NIGHT PASSAGE and QUANTEZ as well. I haven't seen the latter since then, but remember liking it quite a lot, so I'm absolutely looking forward to this.
My neighborhood theater in Syracuse used to pair a Universal sci-fi with a Western also, which is where I got to see all those Audie Murphy films, like "No Name on the Bullet" which I think was with "Monster on the Campus". I saw "Quantez" as well, which I remember liking, so I'll definitely be getting this.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Kino's summary makes a mistake. John Larch play the gang leader, not Fred MacMurray. It a pretty good film that re-uses several idea from other Westerns.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
It was released on one of those 10 or 8 film western DVD sets from Universal that had 2-3 films on a disc and sold cheap. This and the other Fred MacMurray western they announced were on one of those sets. Both are good westerns par for Universal 50's westerns. But it was the 1st time I had seen them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FlickLives