What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (5 Viewers)

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
OSS sounds interesting! Wish I could stream it to watch it first, but it could be worth a blind buy during one of those awesome KL sales down the road. Yes I stream movie that I havent seen before to see if I want to own it on physical media. Now more than ever as the one disc rental place that carried older movies is shutting it down :(

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Sunday's Facebook Announcement:

Coming Soon!

A 4K Restoration!

Cartouche (1962)
Starring Jean-Paul Belmondo & Claudia Cardinale – Shot by Christian Matras (Grand Illusion) – Music by Georges Delerue (A Little Romance) – Co-Written & Directed by Philippe de Broca (King of Hearts).
AKA Swords of Blood

Image may contain: 2 people, people standing

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
From the Paramount titles that are with Universal that KINO has released (whew) - the the ones I've seen have a KINO logo, followed by the newer multichannel Universal logo with the "choir" reaching a crescendo with the drums ending with a DUM-DUM-DUM. Then a proper(vintage) Paramount logo and the rest of the film.

Arguably the best solution as there are legal reasons the logos appear.
Exactly. I do like that MCA-TV logo though with that music and upside triangle with the opening doors. I wonder why the other video editions of "OSS" had the MCA-TV logo?

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Saturday's Facebook Announcement:

Coming Soon!

Brand New 2K Master!

O.S.S. (1946)
Starring Alan Ladd & Geraldine Fitzgerald – Shot by Lionel Lindon (The Manchurian Candidate) – Written by Richard Maibaum (Goldfinger) – Directed by Irving Pichel (Quicksand).

Image may contain: 5 people, text that says 'The Screen Most Thrilling Adventure! ALAN LADD GERALDINE and FITZGERALD OSS PATRIC HOYT IRVING PICHEL KNOWLES JOHN MAIBAUM RICHARD AParamount 46/867''The Screen Most Thrilling Adventure! ALAN LADD GERALDINE and FITZGERALD OSS PATRIC HOYT IRVING PICHEL KNOWLES JOHN MAIBAUM RICHARD AParamount 46/867'
Nice to see this classic get a new transfer (even if it's only 2K :) But then do any B&W films need more than a 2K transfer?) and a quality release.

I had an old friend - gone now for 25 years, sadly, who was a BIG Alan Ladd fan and would have appreciated this release. She was always disappointed a widescreen print of "Drumbeat" never turned up!

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
Delighted to see CARTOUCHE coming out on Kino Blu-Ray. It's one of my all time favorite Belmondo films, and most welcome. Now if we could only get his brilliant 1998 LES MISERABLES. At this point the only DVD is a Region 2 issue which doesn't have English subtitles. Ah well, I guess I'll just keep holding onto my old double VHS set until someone comes to their senses.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Delighted to see CARTOUCHE coming out on Kino Blu-Ray. It's one of my all time favorite Belmondo films, and most welcome. Now if we could only get his brilliant 1998 LES MISERABLES. At this point the only DVD is a Region 2 issue which doesn't have English subtitles. Ah well, I guess I'll just keep holding onto my old double VHS set until someone comes to their senses.
I saw Cartouche when it came out and enjoyed it very much. As for Les miserables, I have the laserdisc and, like you, am still hoping for an eventual BD release. It's such a good reinterpretation of the classic novel.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I too have a Region 2 DVD but that will soon be given to my nephew because I'll be upgrading to this new Blu-ray disc. I notice some posters have mentioned Jean-Paul Belmondo, and with very good reason. There's also a young actress named Claudia Cardinale in this film and I assure everyone she's worth close attention!

I very much hope that other film they made together gets a Blu-ray outing.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
I saw Cartouche when it came out and enjoyed it very much. As for Les miserables, I have the laserdisc and, like you, am still hoping for an eventual BD release. It's such a good reinterpretation of the classic novel.
I saw this when I first moved to the city in the late 60's at the Thalia on a double bill with "That Man From Rio". I remember liking it, though I don't really remember it, and always wanted to see it again. I recall the color was fairly stunning. And Belmondo was lots of fun. It seemed Claudia Cardinale had difficulty stopping herself from laughing whenever he was around.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
A thought of T
I wonder if elements survive for The Great Gatsby with Alan Ladd, picked by many as the best version made. If not for KL, I'm hoping someone else chases it up one day.

Doesn't UCLA have elements on this besides Universal?

Now that the Novel is in the public domain (as of the first of the year) that particular clearance issue is no longer a factor... :)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
A thought of T

Doesn't UCLA have elements on this besides Universal?

Now that the Novel is in the public domain (as of the first of the year) that particular clearance issue is no longer a factor... :)
I'd not presume that in the case of the licensee.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming May 4th!

Sweet Liberty (1986)
• Audio Commentary by Film Historian/Filmmaker Daniel Kremer and Film Historian/Biographer Nat Segaloff
• Theatrical Trailer
• Optional English Subtitles

Color 106 Minutes 1.85:1 Rated PG
It’s Alan Alda (Betsy’s Wedding) versus Hollywood in the writer/director/star’s hilarious comedy about moviemaking in a small town. College history professor Michael Burgess’ (Alda) life and town are turned upside down when a film company arrives to make a movie out of his best-selling book on the American Revolution. To Professor Burgess’ horror, the leading man (Michael Caine, Blame It on Rio) is a philandering adventurer, the movie’s director (Saul Rubinek, Nixon) wants to turn his historic novel into a youth-oriented lusty romp and the female star (Michelle Pfeiffer, Married to the Mob) is so obsessed by Alda’s heroine, he begins to fall in love with the zany actress. Brimming with charm and gentle humor and co-starring Bob Hoskins (Hollywoodland), Lois Chiles (Death on the Nile), Linda Thorson (Tara King of TV’s The Avengers) and Lillian Gish (The Whales of August), Sweet Liberty is a delightful comic confection!

738329252649.jpg

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Coming May 4th!

Sweet Liberty (1986)
• Audio Commentary by Film Historian/Filmmaker Daniel Kremer and Film Historian/Biographer Nat Segaloff
• Theatrical Trailer
• Optional English Subtitles

Color 106 Minutes 1.85:1 Rated PG
It’s Alan Alda (Betsy’s Wedding) versus Hollywood in the writer/director/star’s hilarious comedy about moviemaking in a small town. College history professor Michael Burgess’ (Alda) life and town are turned upside down when a film company arrives to make a movie out of his best-selling book on the American Revolution. To Professor Burgess’ horror, the leading man (Michael Caine, Blame It on Rio) is a philandering adventurer, the movie’s director (Saul Rubinek, Nixon) wants to turn his historic novel into a youth-oriented lusty romp and the female star (Michelle Pfeiffer, Married to the Mob) is so obsessed by Alda’s heroine, he begins to fall in love with the zany actress. Brimming with charm and gentle humor and co-starring Bob Hoskins (Hollywoodland), Lois Chiles (Death on the Nile), Linda Thorson (Tara King of TV’s The Avengers) and Lillian Gish (The Whales of August), Sweet Liberty is a delightful comic confection!

View attachment 85712
Finally! Now I can retire my "full frame" non anamorphic DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks