What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (10 Viewers)

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Coming April 27th from CODE RED!
Distributed by Kino Lorber!

Werewolves on Wheels (1971)
• Brand New HD Master
• Theatrical Trailer

Color 85 Minutes 1.85:1 Rated R
The Devil's Advocates—an outlaw gang of Harley-riding hellions led by Adam (Stephen Oliver, The Naked Zoo, Motorpsycho!) and his old lady Helen (Donna Anders, Count Yorga, Vampire)—troll the dusty highways of the American Southwest in search of the next great kick, whether it be sex, drugs, or violence. After dispatching a pair of rednecks unfriendly to their lifestyle, the Advocates run roughshod over a gas station before taking to the road again, where they encounter a cloistered sect of Satanic Monks led by high priest One (Severn Darden, Battle for the Planet of the Apes). A mass-drugging, a ritual sacrifice, a topless snake-dance, and a scene-clearing fistfight ensue but it's too late; the spell has been cast, and the two shall become... Werewolves on Wheels! Equal parts road movie biker pic and black magic monster flick, this cross-genre film marked the directorial debut of Michael Levesque (Sweet Sugar), art designer on Russ Myers films Beneath the Valley of the Ultra-Vixens and Up! Also starring Billy Gray (TV's Father Knows Best) and pop singer Barry McGuire (Eve of Destruction), Werewolves on Wheels defies classification. Is it art? Is it exploitation? The answer is a resounding yes. Now see this cult classic for the first time in HD!

View attachment 85433
This is a crazy and silly movie. But i really like it. Go figure.

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
But I wonder how many of the 1930's-1940's films are from Universal/Universal-International and how many are Paramount Titles... :)

They're both hotbeds of treasures! Let's always be be grateful for what we're getting. Possibly my favorite B-picture is Paramount's BUY ME THAT TOWN, but it probably wouldn't sell 100 copies, even with its A-picture cast, so I ain't holding my breath. :unsure:

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
They're both hotbeds of treasures! Let's always be be grateful for what we're getting. Possibly my favorite B-picture is Paramount's BUY ME THAT TOWN, but it probably wouldn't sell 100 copies, even with its A-picture cast, so I ain't holding my breath. :unsure:
BUY ME THAT TOWN - a good little film. There are a lot of good "B" pictures like that - strong cast, good script, entertaining film.

Yeh, that's the thing - close to 700 Paramount titles from 1929-1949, and most wouldn't sell enough to justify the release. Add on top of that 100's of Universal-Universal International titles in the same boat. (Even if you take out films with rights issues, and music clearance issues, etc.) There's alot of "B programmers" in the library.

Which means all we'll get is the cream of the crop - some already released on other formats. Oh, I suspect handful of surprises because they never got around to releasing a few good "A" titles from either studio's library in any format over the years - ones with key stars and directors. (Plus I guess there's interest in good pre-code "A" and "B" pictures never released that would sell enough to justify the release.)

Then there's still the issue of the surviving prints and negatives - no matter how good Universal's "asset management" is, we know some films survive in better shape than others.

Though it's a 1950's "B" title from UNIVERSAL-INTERNATIONAL and is a bit of a novelty, "Firemen Save My Child" - the "salvaged" Abbott and Costello comedy with Buddy Hackett, Hugh O'Brian and Spike Jones & his City Slickers is a title I'd love to see a release on - but then I'd suspect 1)Music clearance issues with Spike and The Band and 2) would it sell enough, even with the novelty of being the "Abbott and Costello Film That Never Was"? (Well, they do appear in some of the long shots.)

Then as I've suggested - I guess music clearance issues on a few musicals from both Libraries is an issue which I'd guess why we might never see any of the Universal "B" Andrew Sisters films, which is a shame, really - those should see the light of day.

Perhaps someone else will come along and take a chance with titles that KL passes on for various reasons from the 1920's-1950's.

Last edited:

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
Question for the Insider (if it's one you are willing/ able to answer): since you said Kino licensed some Bing Crosby in the new Universal deal, can you give any estimates as to when that film (or films) will be announced/ released?

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming to Blu-ray on March 9th from Kino Classics!

Little Fugitive: The Collected Films of Morris Engel and Ruth Orkin
3-Disc Special Edition

Shooting on location in New York City and capturing intimate moments in the lives of the common person, Morris Engel and Ruth Orkin have come to be recognized as pioneers of the American independent cinema. François Truffaut remarked, “Our New Wave would never have come into being if it hadn’t been for the young American Morris Engel, who showed us the way to independent production.” Kino Lorber now presents the most comprehensive collection of Engel and Orkin’s work on three Blu-ray discs: all four feature films (including the home video premiere of the 1960s counter-culture film I Need a Ride to California, newly restored by the Museum of Modern Art), short films, commercials, and two documentaries by their daughter Mary Engel.

Includes:
Little Fugitive (1953)
Lovers and Lollipops (1956)
Weddings and Babies (1958)
I Need a Ride to California (1968)

Special features:
• Audio commentary for Little Fugitive by director Morris Engel
• Morris Engel: The Independent, a documentary by Mary Engel
• Ruth Orkin: Frames of Life, a documentary by Mary Engel
• Short films by Morris Engel:
The Dog Lover (1962, 23 Min.)
The Farm They Won (1951, 10 Min.)
One Chase Manhattan Plaza (1961, 9 Min.)
Peace Is (1968, 11 Min.)
• Three television commercials directed by Morris Engel
• Still Life, a live television interview with Ruth Orkin
• Little Fugitive theatrical trailer

LITTLE FUGITIVE blueband.jpg

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Another question for KL
Are there any plans or maybe at least kicking the tires for Blu-ray releases for these movies

The Cheat - 1915
Broken Blossoms
Manslaughter

I saw the first two recently and enjoyed them, and you did release them on DVD (Manslaughter and The Cheat were a double-feature) which is why I was curious about them in terms of a potential Blu ray release or if they are with another label. Thanks !
We're not confirming any titles.

Barnduke98

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alex Thieu.

Yeoman007

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rick
Coming to Blu-ray on March 9th from Kino Classics!

Little Fugitive: The Collected Films of Morris Engel and Ruth Orkin
3-Disc Special Edition

Shooting on location in New York City and capturing intimate moments in the lives of the common person, Morris Engel and Ruth Orkin have come to be recognized as pioneers of the American independent cinema. François Truffaut remarked, “Our New Wave would never have come into being if it hadn’t been for the young American Morris Engel, who showed us the way to independent production.” Kino Lorber now presents the most comprehensive collection of Engel and Orkin’s work on three Blu-ray discs: all four feature films (including the home video premiere of the 1960s counter-culture film I Need a Ride to California, newly restored by the Museum of Modern Art), short films, commercials, and two documentaries by their daughter Mary Engel.

Includes:
Little Fugitive (1953)
Lovers and Lollipops (1956)
Weddings and Babies (1958)
I Need a Ride to California (1968)

Special features:
• Audio commentary for Little Fugitive by director Morris Engel
• Morris Engel: The Independent, a documentary by Mary Engel
• Ruth Orkin: Frames of Life, a documentary by Mary Engel
• Short films by Morris Engel:
The Dog Lover (1962, 23 Min.)
The Farm They Won (1951, 10 Min.)
One Chase Manhattan Plaza (1961, 9 Min.)
Peace Is (1968, 11 Min.)
• Three television commercials directed by Morris Engel
• Still Life, a live television interview with Ruth Orkin
• Little Fugitive theatrical trailer

View attachment 85518

I love this film! I already have Kino's 2013 release, but I've got to double-dip for this with three more feature films and all these new extras. Looks like the only thing not carried over from the 2013 edition is the photo gallery.

Rick

ColbyCo82

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
Another question for KL
Are there any plans or maybe at least kicking the tires for Blu-ray releases for these movies

The Cheat - 1915
Broken Blossoms
Manslaughter

I saw the first two recently and enjoyed them, and you did release them on DVD (Manslaughter and The Cheat were a double-feature) which is why I was curious about them in terms of a potential Blu ray release or if they are with another label. Thanks !
I was thinking that a double feature with the silent versions paired with their talkie remakes would be interesting. Manslaughter was remade in 1930 with Claudette Colbert and Fredric March. The Cheat was remade in 1931 with Tallulah Bankhead. Both talkie remakes would be owned by Universal now. Probably wont happen, but I'd buy them.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I was thinking that a double feature with the silent versions paired with their talkie remakes would be interesting. Manslaughter was remade in 1930 with Claudette Colbert and Fredric March. The Cheat was remade in 1931 with Tallulah Bankhead. Both talkie remakes would be owned by Universal now. Probably wont happen, but I'd buy them.
I just got acquainted with them as I decided to watch some "key" silent films. I was curious if KL still had the films since they did release the films on DVD years ago and if they would consider Blu-rays for them. I decided to research the movies which is why I saw that Kino released them years ago. I have The Cheat from 1931 on DVD - Im hopeful KL has that one, and the 1915 version has a double feature is a great idea actually.
I also enjoyed Broken Blossoms and may get the DVD of it unless KL has it -

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming May 4th!

The Last Married Couple in America (1980)
• Audio Commentary by Film Historian Lee Gambin
• Theatrical Trailer (HD)
• Optional English Subtitles

Color 103 Minutes 1.85:1 Rated R
Screen legends Natalie Wood (Love with the Proper Stranger) and George Segal (Where’s Poppa?) star in The Last Married Couple in America—a contemporary comedy that addresses the divorce epidemic that has been sweeping the country head on. Mari (Wood) and Jeff (Segal) are a happily married couple in Beverly Hills whose recently divorced friends make them feel like they are missing out by remaining married. To add to their woes, Jeff’s best friend (Richard Benjamin, Scavenger Hunt) fixes him up with dates while Mari’s best friend (Valerie Harper, Blame It on Rio) is chasing Jeff all while a plumber turned X-rated star (Dom DeLuise, Haunted Honeymoon) wants to use their house for a wild party. Written by John Herman Shaner (Goin’ South), directed by Gilbert Cates (I Never Sang for My Father) and co-starring Bob Dishy (Lovers and Other Strangers) and Priscilla Barnes (TV’s Three’s Company).

LastMarriedCoupleBluray_2.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks