What's new

Kino Lorber Insider (Read Guidelines Post #3) (11 Viewers)

darkrock17

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Coming to DVD and Blu-ray February 9th from Kino Classics and IndieCollect!

Jazz on a Summer's Day (1959)
Directed by Bert Stern
Starring: Louis Armstrong, Thelonious Monk, Chuck Berry

New 4K restoration from IndieCollect!

Filmed at the 1958 Newport Jazz Festival in Rhode Island and directed by world-renowned photographer Bert Stern, Jazz on a Summer’s Day features intimate performances by an all-star line-up of musical legends including Louis Armstrong, Thelonious Monk, Gerry Mulligan, Anita O’Day, Chuck Berry, Dinah Washington, and closes with a beautiful rendition of The Lord’s Prayer by Mahalia Jackson at midnight to usher in Sunday morning. Presented in a stunning 4K restoration by IndieCollect.

Special features:
*"Bert Stern: Original Madman" (2011 documentary by Shannah Laumeister Stern)
*Archival interviews with director Bert Stern
*Audio commentary by music journalist Natalie Weiner
*Bern Stern photo galleries
*Booklet essay by Nate Chinen, author of "Playing Changes: Jazz for the New Century" (Blu-ray only)
*Extended audio of Mahalia Jackson's "The Lord's Prayer"
*Trailer

View attachment 82674

TCM showed this back in June when they did their spotlight on Jazz in film.

1606767771547.png

Gerani53

Agent
Real Name
Gary Gerani
I'll second the request that they release The Truth About Spring on Blu-ray!!

Well, KL recently issued THE CHALK GARDEN, another Universal movie with John and Hayley Mills. I forgot just how great this father-daughter tag team actually was. As someone who does commentaries for Kino, I must admit, I did not see SPRING on the list of Universal titles they sent to me for consideration about a year ago. But good old Frank Tarzi is always making new deals, so who can say...

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I have been waiting for SO LONG for Jazz on a Summer's Day.
I have the New Yorker DVD which is very fine indeed, but the Blu ray should be simply spectacular.
As well as the brilliant jazz, other highlights include a very early set by Chuck Berry, accompanied by jazz musos including a very stoned Jack Teagarden, who seems to just laugh through the set. And best of all is the amazing editing by Bert Stern, whose intercuts from performances to audiences are a masterclass in the genre. The so-cool Newport audiences are a total delight ... the fashions on show in the audience's casual dress would still be ahead of the the time today.
A must-have movie which I recomment to everyone!

cadavra

Second Unit
Real Name
mike schlesinger
I've heard there are rights issues involved but I would love to see Universal's Hellzapoppin' get a legitimate Region1/A DVD and Blu-ray release!

Na ga ha. As you noted, the rights are in legal hell thanks to the endless quarrel between Olsen's and Johnson's estates, and with each passing day, there's less and less demand for it, thanks to us geezers dying off. This only applies to North America, for some inexplicable reason, so if you find a copy of it in Region 2, you'd probably better grab it.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Na ga ha. As you noted, the rights are in legal hell thanks to the endless quarrel between Olsen's and Johnson's estates, and with each passing day, there's less and less demand for it, thanks to us geezers dying off. This only applies to North America, for some inexplicable reason, so if you find a copy of it in Region 2, you'd probably better grab it.

Mike:

Thank you for the confirmation of the rights issue and I agree that a Region1/A release looks more and more unlikely as time passes. It's too bad as I have a soft spot for kitsch like Hellzapoppin',

lark144

Premium
Real Name
mark gross
I have been waiting for SO LONG for Jazz on a Summer's Day.
I have the New Yorker DVD which is very fine indeed, but the Blu ray should be simply spectacular.
As well as the brilliant jazz, other highlights include a very early set by Chuck Berry, accompanied by jazz musos including a very stoned Jack Teagarden, who seems to just laugh through the set. And best of all is the amazing editing by Bert Stern, whose intercuts from performances to audiences are a masterclass in the genre. The so-cool Newport audiences are a total delight ... the fashions on show in the audience's casual dress would still be ahead of the the time today.
A must-have movie which I recomment to everyone!
Amram Avakian was the editor, who was also how Bert Stern was able to get access to those music tracks, as Amram's brother George was the A&R man in charge of jazz at Columbia Records at the time.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I think Avakian and Stern worked as one on editing Jazz on a Summer's Day.
Stern knew nothing at all about jazz, and totally relied on Avakian's input ... which is why although the great Louis Armstrong is featured in the film, Stern didn't bother filming the ground-breaking Miles Davis. Missed opportunities ... although Louis comes across as a far better crowd-pleaser than Miles every tried to be.

Real Name
Insider
Winter Wonderland Sale Arrives!

Over 300 Titles! $4.99 & Up!
Free USA Shipping – Orders of $50 or More!

Sale Ends December 21st!

WW Sale.jpg

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Held myself to just 12 titles this time. A couple were out of stock so I'll pick them up later.

I know, I took a look with everything that has happened since Black Friday and Cyber Monday, Thomas T, last year stated something about needing to maybe eat a lot of beans, just to offset the cost of all of these great sales, if this keeps up I might have a kidney for sale, and I don't mean beans, :lol:

Camps

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom
Ah that’s what I thought. Thank you for confirming.

Me too. I figure it's music-rights.

In his book James Garner said Tony Franciosa was a real d#ckhead with the stuntmen on the Man Could Get Killed set -- i.e., not pulling punches. Garner wrote that he had to take Franciosa aside and tell him what he was gonna do if Franciosa didn't start to behave....

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
14 titles for me I hate buying the Eastwood remasters because they'll be 4k at some point, but I'm a huge western fan , I saw Yellow sky on tv loved it so I wanted that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BAMatter