What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (8 Viewers)

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I was curious if Dead Man on Campus (1998) with Mark-Paul Gosselaar is something KL might release someday? I think it is a Paramount title but can’t remember. I remember laughing a lot when that one came out. I have the old dvd that is out of print and non-anamorphic.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Was it here that someone asked about the BD of The Captive Heart and even its replacement not being read by his player?
If so, mine didn't play either in both my OPPOs. The disc wasn't recognized.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Was it here that someone asked about the BD of The Captive Heart and even its replacement not being read by his player?
Mike is right we're discussing "The Captive Heart" in that Critical discussion thread and there is definitely a problem with that disc as mine won't play on three different BD players.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Kino has signed a deal with Cohen Media to distribute their titles on Blu-ray and DVD. The first release will be Buster Keaton Collection Vol. 4 on December 8th.

Corn Pop

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
Mike is right we're discussing "The Captive Heart" in that Critical discussion thread and there is definitely a problem with that disc as mine won't play on three different BD players.

Ok, good, now at least I’m sure that the problem is a defective batch of discs.

I appreciated Kino Lorber customer service because they quickly shipped me a replacement blu-ray of The Captive Heart after I told them that my disc wouldn’t play. The problem is that the replacement disc wouldn’t play either in exactly the same way.

I will let them know again about the problem and perhaps they can do some testing and track down snd correct the manufacturing defect. I will post what I find out here.

Thank you very much for the replies which convinced me that the problem was not with my player but instead with a manufacturing issue.
Kino has signed a deal with Cohen Media to distribute their titles on Blu-ray and DVD. The first release will be Buster Keaton Collection Vol. 4 on December 8th.

Cohen has so many excellent blu-ray releases. Bravo! Is Cohen going to stop releasing their own discs?

Last edited:

Corn Pop

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason

For a moment I thought that Kino Lorber had obtained the rights to release their own versions on disc of all of these movies that Cohen has the rights to. I got super excited. But after re-reading the announcement, I guess that KL will just be distributing the titles that Cohen produces. That’s still very good, especially if the Cohen discs can be included in future KL sales like the current Shocktober sale.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming February 16th!

The War (1994)
• NEW Audio Commentary by Director Jon Avnet
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historians Emma Westwood and Paul Anthony Nelson
• Theatrical Trailer
• 5.1 Surround & 2.0 Lossless Audio
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc
• Optional English Subtitles

Color 126 Minutes 1.85:1 Rated PG-13
It was a different time... and a different pace. Elijah Wood (The Good Son) and Kevin Costner (Field of Dreams) star in this wonderful drama from Jon Avnet, the director of Fried Green Tomatoes. This heartwarming film tells the tale of a close-knit family and their remarkable Mississippi summer of 1970. With the help of their friends, Stu (Wood) and Lidia Simmons (Lexi Randall) are determined to build the ultimate treehouse, a place of wonder and magic. Their father Stephen (Costner), a newly returned Vietnam vet, has equally high hopes to rebuild his life and fulfill his family’s dreams. Co-starring Mare Winningham (Miracle Mile) and Lucas Black (Sling Blade), The War is a captivating modern classic rich with humor, nostalgia and mesmerizing performances.

738329251680.jpg

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming February 9th from Code Red!
Distributed by Kino Lorber!

Devil’s Express (1976)
• 2016 2K Scan of the Original Negatives
• Trailers
• Region A/B/C

Color 82 Minutes 1.78:1 Rated R
New York Master Martial Artist Luke (Warhawk Tanzania) goes to Hong Kong to earn his next level in the Martial Arts world and convinces his student Rodan (Wilfredo Roldan) to accompany him. Once they arrive, they come across an ancient burial site and find an amulet that holds a horrific demon creature in its power. Not knowing what the amulet was for, Rodan steals it and takes it back to gang infested New York City, unknowingly releasing the demon. The demon travels through the New York city subway tunnels as it preys on its victims, including Rodan himself. The police think all the killings are a result of gang wars, but Luke soon finds out the terrifying truth and seeks out to avenge the death of his student. Luke must confront the horrifying demon face to face and do battle in the underground subways, where the only train that runs that late is the Devil’s Express! This gritty action, grindhouse, martial-arts, horror classic has finally arrived at the Code Red station! When the film The Warriors was released theatrically, the distributor of Devil’s Express re-titled it as Gang Wars to make it look like a gang fight movie. It took CODE RED many, many years to locate the camera negatives and the film is now fully restored in HD. Also starring Brother Theodore Gottlieb and writer/director David E. Durston (I Drink Your Blood). Co-written and Directed by Barry Rosen (The Yum Yum Girls).

738329252526.jpg

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
What's the scoop with The Underneath? Criterion included it as an extra in their edition of King of the Hill, which doesn't seem to be OOP (yet).

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider

The majority of the stock is fine, but a few dozen discs were defective due to an error during the replication pressing. You received 2 disc from the same bad batch. Private message me your address and I'll see if they can open and play the disc next time before sending it to you.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
What's the scoop with The Underneath? Criterion included it as an extra in their edition of King of the Hill, which doesn't seem to be OOP (yet).

No scoop. We felt the film was disrespected when it was thrown in an extra and never got a real release. My boss (KLSC head of acquisitions) and I prefer the film over King of the Hill, but we're most likely in the minority.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
No scoop. We felt the film was disrespected when it was thrown in an extra and never got a real release. My boss (KLSC head of acquisitions) and I prefer the film over King of the Hill, but we're most likely in the minority.

Thanks for the reply. I was more interested in how the rights issue was worked out, as in did Criterion lose the rights to it? Was it available to you guys for its own release because Criterion used it as just an extra? Is it a similar case to them including The Front Page as an extra on His Girl Friday while Kino had its own edition?

Criterion's page for King of the Hill says it's "currently unavailable, which usually means "in between pressings", but if you had the rights to The Underneath now, maybe they're removing it from their edition of King of the Hill.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming February 16th from Scorpion Releasing!
Distributed by Kino Lorber!

The Unseen (1980)
• 2K Scan of the Original Negatives with Over 45 Hours of Color Correction
• Audio Commentary with Producer Anthony B. Unger and Actor Stephen Furst
• On-Camera Interview with Editor Jon Braun
• Kats Eyes: On Camera Interview with Producer Tony Unger
• Interviews with Actors Stephen Furst and Doug Barr with Make-Up Designers Craig Reardon and Tom Burman
• Make-Up Test Slides, Sketches and Behind-The-Scenes Stills from Craig Reardon’s Personal Collection
• Watch this in “Katarina’s Nightmare Theater” with Hostess Katarina Leigh Waters
• Theatrical Trailer
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc
• Region A/B/C

Color 89 Minutes 1.78:1 Rated R
A TV reporter (Barbara Bach, The Spy Who Loved Me, Force 10 from Navarone, The Great Alligator) and two friends head to Solvang, California, to cover a Danish festival. When a mix-up at the hotel leaves them stranded without hotel rooms, the girls accept the invitation of a friendly museum owner to board at his farmhouse. But what the women don’t know is that something is living in the basement of that farmhouse – something unspeakable. Their stay soon becomes a horrific nightmare when they encounter the “unseen”. Also starring Stephen Furst (Animal House, Up the Creek, Midnight Madness), Sydney Lassick (Carrie, One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest), Lelia Goldoni (Faces, Bloodbrothers), Douglas Barr (TV’s The Fall Guy, Deadly Blessing) and Karen Lamm (Trackdown). Herbert R. Steinmann (Dawn of The Dead) presents this original story by makeup legends Stan Winston (Pumpkinhead) & Thomas R. Burman. Co-written by Kim Henkel (The Texas Chainsaw Massacre) and directed by Danny Steinmann (Savage Streets), witness the horror with a brand new 2K scan of the original negatives!

unseen.jpg

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Coming February 16th!

The War (1994)
• NEW Audio Commentary by Director Jon Avnet
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historians Emma Westwood and Paul Anthony Nelson
• Theatrical Trailer
• 5.1 Surround & 2.0 Lossless Audio
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc

Color 126 Minutes 1.85:1 Rated PG-13
It was a different time... and a different pace. Elijah Wood (The Good Son) and Kevin Costner (Field of Dreams) star in this wonderful drama from Jon Avnet, the director of Fried Green Tomatoes. This heartwarming film tells the tale of a close-knit family and their remarkable Mississippi summer of 1970. With the help of their friends, Stu (Wood) and Lidia Simmons (Lexi Randall) are determined to build the ultimate treehouse, a place of wonder and magic. Their father Stephen (Costner), a newly returned Vietnam vet, has equally high hopes to rebuild his life and fulfill his family’s dreams. Co-starring Mare Winningham (Miracle Mile) and Lucas Black (Sling Blade), The War is a captivating modern classic rich with humor, nostalgia and mesmerizing performances.

View attachment 81141
I distinctly remember seeing the trailer for this before some film and really wanting to see it. I was 10 at the time. I never did...

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Id like to see Kino distribute Cohen Media titles that were formerly with Kino. KL said in the past that Noirs like Behind Locked Doors and Railroaded were with Cohen. Im sure there is probably more. Those would be most welcomed on Blu-ray with 2K or 4K restorations!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks