What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (6 Viewers)

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming January 5th!

The Secret War of Harry Frigg (1968)
• Audio Commentary by Film Historian/Filmmaker Daniel Kremer and Film Historian/Biographer Nat Segaloff
• Theatrical Trailer
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc
• Optional English Subtitles

Color 110 Minutes 2.35:1 Not Rated
From Jack Smight, the acclaimed director of Harper, Kaleidoscope, No Way to Treat a Lady and The Traveling Executioner, comes this wacky comedy starring screen legend Paul Newman (The Hustler, The Sting). The Secret War of Harry Frigg tells the story of a good-for-nothing goldbrick whose only talent is escaping from the Army stockade. Sent behind enemy lines to free five Allied generals held prisoner in an Italian villa, Harry Frigg (Newman), hardly the dedicated type, becomes sidetracked from his zany mission by a sexy Italian Contessa (Sylva Koscina, Hornets’ Nest, Lisa and the Devil). He finally uses his talent to escape, and his new rank of Major General to create havoc in this wild and brilliantly satirical tale of World War II. Beautifully shot in CinemaScope by the great Russell Metty (Spartacus) and featuring a hilarious supporting cast that includes Tom Bosley (Love with the Proper Stranger), Norman Fell (Charley Varrick) and Buck Henry (Old Boyfriends).

738329251277.jpg

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
I saw Texas Across the River at the Helix. The Heliz always reminded me of an airplane hanger..
That's neat, Ken. Yeah, the Helix was one of those quonset hut-type theaters built after WWII (it opened in September 7,1948). It closed in 1976. I saw literally hundreds of films there in the 1960s. Great times and memories!
1602092767181.png
1602093125331.png

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Great, fantastic news about Captain Newman, M.D. It's one of my favorite Gregory Peck films, and the supporting cast is superb.

The Secret War of Harry Frigg is the one Newman "H" movie from the 1960s that I never saw.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce

Yeah, why? If they did two pressings of 3000 each and the first sold out after some time and the second sold out after the company went out of business, one could ask how many more sales can there be at full price? Well, only Kino will know that, of course. As to Julie, she already wrote an essay did she not? What's gonna be different here? Is there suddenly new and important information that she didn't cover before? Did they really commission her to write something brand new? I don't get it, but that's just me.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Yeah, why? If they did two pressings of 3000 each and the first sold out after some time and the second sold out after the company went out of business, one could ask how many more sales can there be at full price? Well, only Kino will know that, of course. As to Julie, she already wrote an essay did she not? What's gonna be different here? Is there suddenly new and important information that she didn't cover before? Did they really commission her to write something brand new? I don't get it, but that's just me.
Well, if it's the same essay previously written by Julie then I'll buy it for the new audio commentary because I enjoy listening to Steven MItchell and Steven Jay Rubin commentaries. Those guys know their stuff when it comes to "War" films.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Well, if it's the same essay previously written by Julie then I'll buy it for the new audio commentary because I enjoy listening to Steven MItchell and Steven Jay Rubin commentaries. Those guys know their stuff when it comes to "War" films.
Ms. Kirgo wrote the booklet for KINO's release of Sweet Charity. I'm sure a professional writer such as Ms. Kirgo can write two equally idifferent and nformative essays (one for TT and one for KINO). To say otherwise would be an insult to her talents.

KINO's discs are available in various retail outlets, whereas TT's business model was to only legally go through one of two websites-- which I had never heard of until I came to this site. Perhaps with more of retail presence, KINO will be able to sell as many new blu discs as they can.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming January 5th from Kino Lorber and Scorpion Releasing!

TINTORERA (1977) aka TIGER SHARK
• Audio Commentary by Film Historians Troy Howarth and Rod Barnett
• Theatrical Trailer
• Limited Edition Slipcase
• Reversible Art
• Optional English Subtitles

Color 87 Minutes 1.85:1 Rated R
From cult filmmaker René Cardona Jr. (Survive!, Guyana-Cult of the Damned, Treasure of the Amazon), enter the world of a trio of beautiful young people, the hot sexy beaches of Mexico... and a giant, hungry Tiger Shark known as Tintorera! When two handsome shark hunters, Steven (Hugo Stiglitz; Nightmare City, Survive!, Counterforce), Miguel (Andrés Garcia; Day of the Assassin, The Bermuda Triangle) hook up with Gabriella (Susan George; Straw Dogs, Dirty Mary Crazy Larry, The House Where Evil Dwells), everything seems to be paradise until Tintorera strikes, eating the beachgoers and endangering the lives of the trio. One of the hunters decides to avenge his friend and take on the Tintorera one on one, and it becomes a brutal battle between man and beast. Co-starring Fiona Lewis (The Fury, Lisztomania, Drum), Jennifer Ashley (The Pom Pom Girls, Terror Circus, Guyana-Cult of the Damned) and Priscilla Barnes (TV’s Three’s Company, Texas Detour, Seniors).

Tintorera.jpg

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
KL Insider:

I just received an email from Kino- Lorber today about IndieCollect's 4K restoration of William Greaves' Nationtime and watched the trailer. As a fan of William Greaves' work, I am definitely intrigued. Any idea on when Kino-Lorber will release this title on DVD and Blu-ray?

Here is the trailer for anyone who hasn't seen it yet:

Thank you in advance for responding to my inquiry.

Sean

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
No, it closed in 1976 and was torn down after. Bank and Chinese buffet are in that part of strip mall now. :huh: Apparently, Jaws and The Great Waldo Pepper were the last movies shown there, December 4, 1976.
Sorry to hear that- looks like it was a great theater to see a popcorn movie at!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Saturday's Facebook Announcement:

Coming 2021!

Brand New 2K Master!

Wild Geese II (1985)
Starring Scott Glenn, Barbara Carrera, Edward Fox, Laurence Olivier, Robert Webber & Ingrid Pitt – Shot by Michael Reed (On Her Majesty’s Secret Service) – Music by Roy Budd (Get Carter) – Directed by Peter Hunt (Death Hunt).

Image may contain: 3 people, fire, text that says 'THEY'RE BACK IN THE MOST SPECTACULAR RESCUE MISSION EVER FILMED! WEPIT Screen Entertainment WILD THORN EMI AEUA LLOYD PETER SCOTT GLENN/ /BARBARA CARRERA/ CARRERA/EDWARDFOX WILD GEESEI ALSOSTARRING LAURENCEOLIVIER KENNETHH HAIGH ROBERTFREITAG JOHNS DEREK THOMPSON ROBERT WEBBER THESQUA CARNEY BUDD P'

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I don't think i've seen Wild Geese 2 before. But i like Scott Glenn and i seen that Mr Crawford mentioned Ingrid Pitt! So i may have to check Wild Geese 2 out just for that.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Sunday's Facebook Announcement:

Coming 2021!

Brand New 2K Restoration!

Freud: The Secret Passion (1962)
Starring Montgomery Clift & Susannah York – Shot by Douglas Slocombe (Raiders of the Lost Ark) – Music by Jerry Goldsmith (Chinatown) – Directed by John Huston (The Man Who Would Be King).

Image may contain: 5 people, text that says 'ALONE, He FOUGHT AGAINST HIS OWN DARK PASSIONS. ....AGAINST THE TABOOS OF AN OUTRAGED WORLD... ...KNOWING THAT THE SHOCKING TRUTH COULD RUIN HIS CAREER. ....DESTROY HIS MARRIAGE! SUPERB DRAMA! -LIFE MAGAZINE He dared to search beyond the flesh! JOHN PRODUCTION HUSTONS FREUD SECRETPASSION THE MONTGOMERY GLIFT SUSANNAH YORK LARRY PARKS SUSAN KOHNER EILEEN HERLIE ERIC PORTMAN Screenplay CHARLES KAUFMAN WOLFGANG REINHARDT OHN HUSTON Produced WOLFGANG REINHARDT -A UNIVERSAL PICTURE Story CHARLES KAUFMAN Directed'

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Sunday's Facebook Announcement:

Coming 2021!

Brand New 2K Restoration!

Freud: The Secret Passion (1962)
Starring Montgomery Clift & Susannah York – Shot by Douglas Slocombe (Raiders of the Lost Ark) – Music by Jerry Goldsmith (Chinatown) – Directed by John Huston (The Man Who Would Be King).

Image may contain: 5 people, text that says 'ALONE, He FOUGHT AGAINST HIS OWN DARK PASSIONS. ....AGAINST THE TABOOS OF AN OUTRAGED WORLD... ...KNOWING THAT THE SHOCKING TRUTH COULD RUIN HIS CAREER. ....DESTROY HIS MARRIAGE! SUPERB DRAMA! -LIFE MAGAZINE He dared to search beyond the flesh! JOHN PRODUCTION HUSTONS FREUD SECRETPASSION THE MONTGOMERY GLIFT SUSANNAH YORK LARRY PARKS SUSAN KOHNER EILEEN HERLIE ERIC PORTMAN Screenplay CHARLES KAUFMAN WOLFGANG REINHARDT OHN HUSTON Produced WOLFGANG REINHARDT -A UNIVERSAL PICTURE Story CHARLES KAUFMAN Directed''ALONE, He FOUGHT AGAINST HIS OWN DARK PASSIONS. ....AGAINST THE TABOOS OF AN OUTRAGED WORLD... ...KNOWING THAT THE SHOCKING TRUTH COULD RUIN HIS CAREER. ....DESTROY HIS MARRIAGE! SUPERB DRAMA! -LIFE MAGAZINE He dared to search beyond the flesh! JOHN PRODUCTION HUSTONS FREUD SECRETPASSION THE MONTGOMERY GLIFT SUSANNAH YORK LARRY PARKS SUSAN KOHNER EILEEN HERLIE ERIC PORTMAN Screenplay CHARLES KAUFMAN WOLFGANG REINHARDT OHN HUSTON Produced WOLFGANG REINHARDT -A UNIVERSAL PICTURE Story CHARLES KAUFMAN Directed'
At last!!!!!! Excellent film with a great Jerry Goldsmith score!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks