What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (6 Viewers)

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
I have been catching up on posts in this thread that I've missed in the past week and a half, and one film does pop into mind that I believe to be owned by Universal (which inherited much of the early Paramount library through MCA) that I hope Kino might be able to release at some point: Alias Nick Beal (1949).

This rarely seen John Farrow-directed classic appears to finally be receiving a Blu-ray release, but unfortunately it's overseas. It's from "Imprint," a sub-label of Australia's Via Vision Entertainment, in a film noir Blu-ray collection that also includes Framed (1947), William Wyler's great Detective Story (1951), and The Garment Jungle (1957).

Any possibility that Kino could be looking into releasing/obtaining rights for releasing Beal (as well as, I guess, any of those other three films) in the US?

The other three are with Sony and Paramount and we don't have any deals with them.

We would be interested in Alias Nick Beal if and when we do another deal with them.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Alias Nick Beal should still be with Paramount. Imprint has a deal with Paramount, and one of the other titles in that collection, Detective Story, is also a Paramount title. The other two titles in the collection were made at Columbia.

Kino has had a deal with Paramount in the past, but I don't think they have a current one. The Paramount titles they've been releasing recently have all been part of the catalog that MCA bought back in the 50s. And they don't have a deal with Sony, either.

It's with Universal.

Barnduke98

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alex Thieu.
I have been should still be with more horror universal The hitcher remake michael bay product and has had to a deal third might be curucu beast of the amazon and the incredible shriking man and warner bros horror title wicked wicked? for Kino lorber

Last edited:

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Details later...

Rock Hudson.jpg

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
From what I have read, MCA acquired Paramount's entire pre-1950 sound film library. Alias Nick Beal is a 1949 film, so I assumed it would have been included in that grouping and that its rights would have passed to Universal. Imprint does also appear to have a deal with Universal.

Also – and this is just from some brief online searching – I have found references to a 35mm archival print of the film, preserved by Universal, making various appearances at special screenings and film festivals. Some of these references also include a thank-you message directed towards Paul Ginsburg, VP for Film Sales at NBC Universal.

I asked if Beal was up for consideration as it seems to me that it would be owned by Universal.

I am far from being in-the-know on this, though, so I might be barking up the wrong tree!! (If so, I'm sorry for the reiteration.)

You're right. Not all of the Paramount sound films from Paramount pre-1950 ended up with MCA/Universal, but this one apparently did. I wasn't thinking that Imprint had a deal with Universal, but their release that includes Alias Nick Beal is coming out at the same time as a 2-film Bob Hope Collection, both of which was Paramount films that ended up at Universal. So...

Barnduke98

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alex Thieu.
i am super happy want get rock hudson collection vol 1 from universal on blu ray thanks you kino lorber. i'll very pleased hopeful to see Smoke Tree Range burke jones western film from universal and The Man Who Reclaimed His Head and Secret of the Chateau horror film and the secret of the blue room and the mystery of edwin drood and the mystery of marie rodget for available to that company would it was perfect fit.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming December 8th!

ROCK HUDSON COLLECTION
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Critic Nick Pinkerton (Seminole)
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historian Phillipa Berry (The Golden Blade)
• Theatrical Trailers (Seminole / The Golden Blade / Bengal Brigade)
• Optional English Subtitles

SEMINOLE (1953) Color 87 Minutes 1.37:1 Not Rated
From Budd Boetticher, the legendary director of Red Ball Express, Horizons West, Wings of the Hawk, The Killer Is Loose and 7 Men from Now, comes this action-packed western adventure starring Rock Hudson (Taza, Son of Cochise), Anthony Quinn (The World in His Arms), Barbara Hale (The Window), Lee Marvin (Monte Walsh), Richard Carlson (The Magnetic Monster), Hugh O’Brian (Ambush Bay) and James Best (Hooper). Seminole is a sweeping epic that reveals the Seminole Indians’ desperate fight for their homeland. Army officer Lance Caldwell (Hudson) is a Florida native with deep ties to the Everglades including a childhood friendship with a Seminole chief. As tensions rise between the military and the Native Americans, Caldwell turns to his old ally for help. However, when the chief is killed in cold blood, Caldwell finds himself accused of the crime. Desperate to prove his innocence, he risks everything in order to defend a rapidly disappearing way of life. Beautifully shot in Technicolor by the great Russell Metty (Touch of Evil, Spartacus, Midnight Lace).

THE GOLDEN BLADE (1953) Color 81 Minutes 1.37:1 Not Rated
Rock Hudson (The Tarnished Angels) stars with Piper Laurie (Son of Ali Baba) in this swashbuckling adventure yarn directed by Nathan Juran (Jack the Giant Killer). After vowing to his dying father to help establish peace in his homeland, Harun (Hudson) travels to Baghdad where he meets gorgeous Princess Khairuzan (Laurie) and uncovers a gold sword that only he can wield. When the Caliph’s scheming advisor, Jafar (George Macready, Gilda), concocts a plot for Khairuzan to marry his son, Hadi (Gene Evans, The Steel Helmet), it is up to humble Harun to prove his worth and save his royal love from a terrible marital fate. Filled with sword-fighting, romance and mystery, The Golden Blade is an unforgettable epic story of passion and loyalty, featuring future stars Anita Ekberg (La Dolce Vita) and Dennis Weaver (Duel) in minor roles.

BENGAL BRIGADE (1954) Color 87 Minutes 1.85:1 Not Rated
Screen great Rock Hudson (A Farewell to Arms) stars in Bengal Brigade, a gripping adventure about restoring honor and self-redemption, directed by Laslo Benedek (The Wild One). Set in 1857 British India, Captain Claybourne (Hudson) is harshly disciplined for disobeying orders. Deeming himself unworthy of service and the love of his fiancée (Arlene Dahl, Sangaree), he announces his resignation from service. During his isolation, he discovers that his fellow servicemen are under attack by an anti-colonialist and rushes to their aid. Will he finally be given the redemption that he has longed for so long? The stellar cast includes Ursula Thiess (Bandido!), Torin Thatcher (Jack the Giant Killer), Dan O’Herlihy (100 Rifles), Arnold Moss (Border Incident) and Michael Ansara (The Pink Jungle).

Rock Hudson Collection.jpg

DannyLewis

Stunt Coordinator
Coming December 8th!

ROCK HUDSON COLLECTION
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Critic Nick Pinkerton (Seminole)
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historian Phillipa Berry (The Golden Blade)
• Theatrical Trailers (Seminole / The Golden Blade / Bengal Brigade)

SEMINOLE (1953) Color 87 Minutes 1.37:1 Not Rated
From Budd Boetticher, the legendary director of Red Ball Express, Horizons West, Wings of the Hawk, The Killer Is Loose and 7 Men from Now, comes this action-packed western adventure starring Rock Hudson (Taza, Son of Cochise), Anthony Quinn (The World in His Arms), Barbara Hale (The Window), Lee Marvin (Monte Walsh), Richard Carlson (The Magnetic Monster), Hugh O’Brian (Ambush Bay) and James Best (Hooper). Seminole is a sweeping epic that reveals the Seminole Indians’ desperate fight for their homeland. Army officer Lance Caldwell (Hudson) is a Florida native with deep ties to the Everglades including a childhood friendship with a Seminole chief. As tensions rise between the military and the Native Americans, Caldwell turns to his old ally for help. However, when the chief is killed in cold blood, Caldwell finds himself accused of the crime. Desperate to prove his innocence, he risks everything in order to defend a rapidly disappearing way of life. Beautifully shot in Technicolor by the great Russell Metty (Touch of Evil, Spartacus, Midnight Lace).

THE GOLDEN BLADE (1953) Color 81 Minutes 1.37:1 Not Rated
Rock Hudson (The Tarnished Angels) stars with Piper Laurie (Son of Ali Baba) in this swashbuckling adventure yarn directed by Nathan Juran (Jack the Giant Killer). After vowing to his dying father to help establish peace in his homeland, Harun (Hudson) travels to Baghdad where he meets gorgeous Princess Khairuzan (Laurie) and uncovers a gold sword that only he can wield. When the Caliph’s scheming advisor, Jafar (George Macready, Gilda), concocts a plot for Khairuzan to marry his son, Hadi (Gene Evans, The Steel Helmet), it is up to humble Harun to prove his worth and save his royal love from a terrible marital fate. Filled with sword-fighting, romance and mystery, The Golden Blade is an unforgettable epic story of passion and loyalty, featuring future stars Anita Ekberg (La Dolce Vita) and Dennis Weaver (Duel) in minor roles.

BENGAL BRIGADE (1954) Color 87 Minutes 1.85:1 Not Rated
Screen great Rock Hudson (A Farewell to Arms) stars in Bengal Brigade, a gripping adventure about restoring honor and self-redemption, directed by Laslo Benedek (The Wild One). Set in 1857 British India, Captain Claybourne (Hudson) is harshly disciplined for disobeying orders. Deeming himself unworthy of service and the love of his fiancée (Arlene Dahl, Sangaree), he announces his resignation from service. During his isolation, he discovers that his fellow servicemen are under attack by an anti-colonialist and rushes to their aid. Will he finally be given the redemption that he has longed for so long? The stellar cast includes Ursula Thiess (Bandido!), Torin Thatcher (Jack the Giant Killer), Dan O’Herlihy (100 Rifles), Arnold Moss (Border Incident) and Michael Ansara (The Pink Jungle).

View attachment 79138
Wonderful! This is a sure buy for me!
I have Golden Blade in a German box set and the transfer is gorgeous! It should look no less than spetacular in this new Kino release. And more important, with english subtitles (that lacked in the german bluray). Hopefully, the transfers for the other titles will look as good as that one.

Mr. Insider, in case of a new agreement with Universal, would you consider release "The Great Gatsby" and "All my Sons"?

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming December 15th!

Puzzle of a Downfall Child (1970)
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historian/Filmmaker Daniel Kremer and Film Historian/Podcaster Bill Ackerman
• NEW Interview with Director Jerry Schatzberg
• Alternate Studio-Edit Opening
• TRAILERS FROM HELL with Larry Karaszewski
• Theatrical Trailer (Newly Restored in HD)
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc

Color 105 Minutes 1.85:1 Rated R
Jerry Schatzberg, the acclaimed director of The Panic in Needle Park, Scarecrow, The Seduction of Joe Tynan, Honeysuckle Rose and Street Smart, made his directorial debut with this brilliantly innovative and fascinating drama starring screen legend Faye Dunaway (The Thomas Crown Affair, Chinatown, Network, Mommie Dearest). Lou Andreas Sand (Dunaway), a beautiful but disturbed young woman whose life has fallen into a downward spiral including drug use and a nervous breakdown, lives alone at a windswept beach cottage. Fashion photographer turned director Aaron Reinhardt (Barry Primus, Boxcar Bertha) visits the former model and records their conversations, planning to develop her story, a life of delusion and lies, into a film. The stellar cast includes Roy Scheider (Jaws), Viveca Lindfors (Moonfleet) and Barry Morse (The Changeling).

738329251369.jpg

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Coming December 15th!

Puzzle of a Downfall Child (1970)
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historian/Filmmaker Daniel Kremer and Film Historian/Podcaster Bill Ackerman
• NEW Interview with Director Jerry Schatzberg
• Alternate Studio-Edit Opening
• TRAILERS FROM HELL with Larry Karaszewski
• Theatrical Trailer (Newly Restored in HD)
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc

Color 105 Minutes 1.85:1 Rated R
Jerry Schatzberg, the acclaimed director of The Panic in Needle Park, Scarecrow, The Seduction of Joe Tynan, Honeysuckle Rose and Street Smart, made his directorial debut with this brilliantly innovative and fascinating drama starring screen legend Faye Dunaway (The Thomas Crown Affair, Chinatown, Network, Mommie Dearest). Lou Andreas Sand (Dunaway), a beautiful but disturbed young woman whose life has fallen into a downward spiral including drug use and a nervous breakdown, lives alone at a windswept beach cottage. Fashion photographer turned director Aaron Reinhardt (Barry Primus, Boxcar Bertha) visits the former model and records their conversations, planning to develop her story, a life of delusion and lies, into a film. The stellar cast includes Roy Scheider (Jaws), Viveca Lindfors (Moonfleet) and Barry Morse (The Changeling).

View attachment 79149

This is an underrated gem of a film with one of Dunaway's best performances. Highly recommended.

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
It's my understanding that both THE GREAT GATSBY and ALIAS NICK BEAL have underlying story rights issues that have prevented them from being released. I'd be happy to stand corrected, though. BEAL in particular is an excellent film with a crackerjack screenplay by the incomparable Jonathan Latimer. (GATSBY, not so much--a real slog, IMHO.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks