Kino Lorber Insider (Read Guidelines Post #3)

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
Coming December 1st!
New HD Master by MGM!

Apache (1954)
• Theatrical Trailer
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc
• Optional English Subtitles

Color 91 Minutes 1.85:1 Not Rated
From Robert Aldrich, the outstanding director of Vera Cruz, Attack, What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?, The Dirty Dozen, The Killing of Sister George and Ulzana’s Raid, comes this action-packed western that pulsates with the power and passion of an Indian war drum. Apache explodes with spectacular battle sequences, breathtaking chases and unbridled suspense. After years of bloody fighting with settlers on the American frontier, Apache Chief Geronimo (Monte Blue, Key Largo) is forced to submit to a humiliating surrender. But his fiercest warrior, Massai (Burt Lancaster, The Train), refuses to accept defeat. With enormous strength and razor-sharp cunning, Massai battles the relentless U.S. Cavalry, struggling to stay one step ahead of the highly trained soldiers who have sworn to track him down. And as his crusade escalates into a final epic showdown, Massai knows that he must persevere, not only for his life, but also for the pride of his entire race. Beautifully shot by Ernest Laszlo (Judgment at Nuremberg) and co-starring Jean Peters (Viva Zapata!), John McIntire (Horizons West), Charles Bronson (The White Buffalo) and John Dehner (The Day of the Dolphin).

View attachment 78888
A different breed of motion picture! A different breed of man! LOL
apache.jpg

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Coming December 1st!
New HD Master by MGM!

Apache (1954)
• Theatrical Trailer
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc

Color 91 Minutes 1.85:1 Not Rated
From Robert Aldrich, the outstanding director of Vera Cruz, Attack, What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?, The Dirty Dozen, The Killing of Sister George and Ulzana’s Raid, comes this action-packed western that pulsates with the power and passion of an Indian war drum. Apache explodes with spectacular battle sequences, breathtaking chases and unbridled suspense. After years of bloody fighting with settlers on the American frontier, Apache Chief Geronimo (Monte Blue, Key Largo) is forced to submit to a humiliating surrender. But his fiercest warrior, Massai (Burt Lancaster, The Train), refuses to accept defeat. With enormous strength and razor-sharp cunning, Massai battles the relentless U.S. Cavalry, struggling to stay one step ahead of the highly trained soldiers who have sworn to track him down. And as his crusade escalates into a final epic showdown, Massai knows that he must persevere, not only for his life, but also for the pride of his entire race. Beautifully shot by Ernest Laszlo (Judgment at Nuremberg) and co-starring Jean Peters (Viva Zapata!), John McIntire (Horizons West), Charles Bronson (The White Buffalo) and John Dehner (The Day of the Dolphin).

View attachment 78888
Jean Peters gets equal billing with Lancaster on all the film's movie posters. Pity that she's being skipped over for the blu ray jacket.

Real Name
Insider
Coming December 1st!

ATTACK (1956)
• Original Theatrical Trailer
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc

B&W 107 Minutes 1.85:1 Not Rated
There’s dissension in the ranks during the Battle of the Bulge! From Robert Aldrich, the acclaimed director of Apache, Kiss Me Deadly, Hush… Hush, Sweet Charlotte, The Flight of the Phoenix, The Grissom Gang and The Longest Yard, comes this WWII classic starring Jack Palance (Ten Seconds to Hell), Lee Marvin (Prime Cut), Eddie Albert (The Gun Runners), Robert Strauss (Stalag 17), Richard Jaeckel (Ulzana’s Raid), Buddy Ebsen (Breakfast at Tiffany’s) and Peter van Eyck (Five Graves to Cairo). When Lieutenant Joe Costa (Palance) learns that his men died because their commander, Captain Cooney (Albert), was too much of a coward to join the fight, Costa issues a serious warning: Don’t let it happen again! But Cooney’s cowardice forces Costa into a fateful choice: continue to risk the lives of his men... or take the life of the captain. Beautifully shot by Joseph F. Biroc (The Towering Inferno), Attack is a tightly directed and gritty film that packs a wallop.

738329251642.jpg

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Over at the elsewhere forum KL mentioned that they were working on a potential new deal with Universal and said to members that they could share their wishlists, even though KL would not reply with yes or no responses. I thought we might as well do it here as maybe if enough of the same titles are requested they might pursue (if available, and have favorable elements)
I dont have much but for me Id like these
The Benson Murder Case, The Canary Murder Case, The Greene Murder Case, Among the Living , Secret of the Blue Room , The Cheat, The Accused, Peter Ibbetson , The Mysterious Dr. Fu Manchu
If I had to pick one title Id like to see a UHD release it would be Tremors
Catching up on posts and found this one especially interesting. I don't normally put my wanted/wishlist items on this thread, but since this time it's encouraged..,

There are plenty of Universal-connected films I would still like to have on blu. Of that list, here are 20 that I am especially interested in. Some of these have never even received a DVD release, much less a Region A BD.

Angel in My Pocket (1969) - Andy Griffith, Lee Meriwether
Banning (1967) - Robert Wagner
Checkered Flag or Crash (1977) - Joe Don Baker, Larry Hagman
The Counterfeit Killer (1968) - Jack Lord
Did You Hear the One About the Traveling Saleslady? (1968) - Phyllis Diller
Don't Just Stand There! (1968) - Robert Wagner, Mary Tyler Moore
The Four Seasons (1981) - Alan Alda, Carol Burnett
House Calls* (1978) - Walter Matthau, Glenda Jackson
House of Cards (1968) - George Peppard, Inger Stevens
International House (1933) - W.C. Fields, Burns & Allen, Bela Lugosi
Limbo (1972) - Kate Jackson
The Lost Man (1969) - Sidney Poitier
The Love God? (1969) - Don Knotts
Minnie and Moskowitz (1971) - Gena Rowlands
Pete 'n' Tillie (1972) - Walter Matthau, Carol Burnett
The Pink Jungle (1968) - James Garner, George Kennedy
Same Time, Next Year (1978) - Alan Alda, Ellen Burstyn
That Man Bolt (1973) - Fred Williamson
What's So Bad About Feeling Good? (1968) - George Peppard, Mary Tyler Moore
Which Way Is Up? (1977) - Richard Pryor

As always, I have no expectations. One of the things I like most about KL is just how often they announce and release something I've either never heard of or at least never considered that I might want it, and then it becomes a must-have. So I hope at least some of my wants get released (as many have in the past), but I also look forward to some surprises that never occurred to me.

* And if KL or someone else would also release the early-80s TV series based on the film House Calls, I would be very happy.

Last edited:
Real Name
Insider
Coming December 1st!

D.C. CAB (1983)
• Audio Commentary by Film Historian/Filmmaker Daniel Kremer and Film Critic Scout Tafoya
• 8 Radio Spots (1 in Spanish)
• Theatrical Trailer

Color 100 Minutes 1.85:1 Rated R
From Joel Schumacher, the outstanding director of St. Elmo’s Fire, The Lost Boys, Flatliners, Falling Down, The Client, A Time to Kill and Veronica Guerin, comes this action-packed comedy about the misadventures of a group of streetwise cabbies. Washington, D.C. becomes the District of Comedy in this high-speed hit starring Adam Baldwin (My Bodyguard), Mr. T (The A-Team), Gary Busey (Point Break), Irene Cara (Fame) and Bill Maher (House II: The Second Story). When young Albert Hockenberry (Baldwin) wants to become a cabbie, he’s got the wackiest teachers around, courtesy of his uncle Howard (Max Gail, Barney Miller) and the freewheeling D.C. Cab Co., including Samson (Mr. T) and Dell (Busey). Along the way, Albert falls in love with beautiful waitress Claudette (Jill Schoelen, The Stepfather) and gets caught up in a kidnapping, with Mr. T and the other cabbies riding to the rescue. From a raid on a topless club and a game of chicken with an oncoming train to cameo appearances by top stand-up comedians, their hilarious hijinks spell comedy with a “capital” C!

738329251253.jpg

Barnduke98

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alex Thieu.
Anytime you will be releasing Dark Inturder find 5mm trailer this december month? i can't wait foward get on blu ray upgrade from dvd barebone double feature the night walker.

JamesSmith

Screenwriter
Catching up on posts and found this one especially interesting. I don't normally put my wanted/wishlist items on this thread, but since this time it's encouraged..,

There are plenty of Universal-connected films I would still like to have on blu. Of that list, here are 20 that I am especially interested in. Some of these have never even received a DVD release, much less a Region A BD.

What's So Bad About Feeling Good? (1968) - George Peppard, Mary Tyler Moor
Nice to know I'm not the only "What's So Bad About Feeling Good" fan out there. Dave, do you have information if there was a soundtrack album released for "What's So Bad About Feeling Good?" Know it's a digression, but was curious if there was any information.
--jthree

Reactions: Ken Koc

Jim R Bee

Auditioning
Kino Insider - is it at all possible to release those Universal pre code films that almost none of us
have seen ? Such as "Destination Unknown" (1933), "Laughter in Hell" (1933), "Madame Spy" (1934)
and others. Would it be a profitable venture ?

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Nice to know I'm not the only "What's So Bad About Feeling Good" fan out there. Dave, do you have information if there was a soundtrack album released for "What's So Bad About Feeling Good?" Know it's a digression, but was curious if there was any information.
--jthree
Sorry, but I have no idea.

Reactions: Ken Koc

Corn Pop

Agent
Real Name
Jason

Angel in My Pocket (1969) - Andy Griffith, Lee Meriwether
Banning (1967) - Robert Wagner
Checkered Flag or Crash (1977) - Joe Don Baker, Larry Hagman
The Counterfeit Killer (1968) - Jack Lord
Did You Hear the One About the Traveling Saleslady? (1968) - Phyllis Diller
Don't Just Stand There! (1968) - Robert Wagner, Mary Tyler Moore
The Four Seasons (1981) - Alan Alda, Carol Burnett
House Calls* (1978) - Walter Matthau, Glenda Jackson
House of Cards (1968) - George Peppard, Inger Stevens
International House (1933) - W.C. Fields, Burns & Allen, Bela Lugosi
Limbo (1972) - Kate Jackson
The Lost Man (1969) - Sidney Poitier
The Love God? (1969) - Don Knotts
Minnie and Moskowitz (1971) - Gena Rowlands
Pete 'n' Tillie (1972) - Walter Matthau, Carol Burnett
The Pink Jungle (1968) - James Garner, George Kennedy
Same Time, Next Year (1978) - Alan Alda, Ellen Burstyn
That Man Bolt (1973) - Fred Williamson
What's So Bad About Feeling Good? (1968) - George Peppard, Mary Tyler Moore
Which Way Is Up? (1977) - Richard Pryor

As always, I have no expectations. One of the things I like most about KL is just how often they announce and release something I've either never heard of or at least never considered that I might want it, and then it becomes a must-have. So I hope at least some of my wants get released (as many have in the past), but I also look forward to some surprises that never occurred to me.

* And if KL or someone else would also release the early-80s TV series based on the film House Calls, I would be very happy.
Has anyone mentioned Mirage (1965) from Universal starring Gregory Peck? I would like to see it on blu-ray with audio commentary. It’s a good movie.

Mike Frezon

Premium
It's time for one of semi-regular reminders about the strict rules pertaining to this thread. We are serious about them.

And there has been some slippage.

Kino Lorber Insider thread Guidelines

Home Theater Forum is very excited to welcome KINO LORBER INSIDER, a representative
of Kino Distribution, who will be providing the membership with the latest Blu-ray and DVD
catalog announcements.

In an attempt to prevent problems we have experienced in the past, we are setting forth
the following guidelines that the HTF Moderating team will be strictly enforcing. Please
read these guidelines very carefully...

1. KINO LORBER INSIDER, as a representative of Kino Distribution, will be posting new release information in this thread as it becomes available.

2. KINO LORBER INSIDER will only be posting release announcements. They will respond to questions they are allowed to answer. They have new KL guidelines to what questions they are allowed to answer and what they're not. The insider is not required to answer every question posed to him.

3. This thread is for announcements and reaction to the announcements only.

4. KINO LORBER INSIDER will be professional in his responses to the membership. He is to receive the same
amount of respect from the membership.

5. Any member(s) who violate(s) any of our rules, will be immediately locked out of this thread
at first offense, without previous warning. More serious measures may of course apply.

Ronald J Epstein

Home Theater Forum co-owner

Holmesian

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt
I have been catching up on posts in this thread that I've missed in the past week and a half, and one film does pop into mind that I believe to be owned by Universal (which inherited much of the early Paramount library through MCA) that I hope Kino might be able to release at some point: Alias Nick Beal (1949).

This rarely seen John Farrow-directed classic appears to finally be receiving a Blu-ray release, but unfortunately it's overseas. It's from "Imprint," a sub-label of Australia's Via Vision Entertainment, in a film noir Blu-ray collection that also includes Framed (1947), William Wyler's great Detective Story (1951), and The Garment Jungle (1957).

Any possibility that Kino could be looking into releasing/obtaining rights for releasing Beal (as well as, I guess, any of those other three films) in the US?

jayembee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jerry
Alias Nick Beal should still be with Paramount. Imprint has a deal with Paramount, and one of the other titles in that collection, Detective Story, is also a Paramount title. The other two titles in the collection were made at Columbia.

Kino has had a deal with Paramount in the past, but I don't think they have a current one. The Paramount titles they've been releasing recently have all been part of the catalog that MCA bought back in the 50s. And they don't have a deal with Sony, either.

Holmesian

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt
Alias Nick Beal should still be with Paramount. Imprint has a deal with Paramount
From what I have read, MCA acquired Paramount's entire pre-1950 sound film library. Alias Nick Beal is a 1949 film, so I assumed it would have been included in that grouping and that its rights would have passed to Universal. Imprint does also appear to have a deal with Universal.

Also – and this is just from some brief online searching – I have found references to a 35mm archival print of the film, preserved by Universal, making various appearances at special screenings and film festivals. Some of these references also include a thank-you message directed towards Paul Ginsburg, VP for Film Sales at NBC Universal.

I asked if Beal was up for consideration as it seems to me that it would be owned by Universal.

I am far from being in-the-know on this, though, so I might be barking up the wrong tree!! (If so, I'm sorry for the reiteration.)

Last edited:
Real Name
Insider
Coming December 1st!

Continental Divide (1981)
• Audio Commentary by Film Historian/Filmmaker Daniel Kremer and Film Historian/Biographer Nat Segaloff
• Theatrical Trailer

Color 103 Minutes 1.85:1 Rated PG
From Michael Apted, the acclaimed director of Coal Miner’s Daughter, Gorky Park, Thunderheart, Extreme Measures and The World Is Not Enough, comes this wonderful romantic comedy starring comedy legend John Belushi (National Lampoon’s Animal House, 1941, The Blues Brothers). Ernie Souchak (Belushi) is a celebrated Chicago Sun-Times columnist famous for his blistering political exposés. While his controversial reporting has earned him the respect of his editor, Howard McDermott (Allen Garfield, The Brink’s Job), and the admiration of a legion of fans, it also earns him a trip to the hospital following a run-in with some disgruntled thugs. Suggesting he leave the city for a while, McDermott sends Ernie to the Rockies to interview renowned ornithologist Nell Porter (Blair Brown, Altered States), who studies the habits of the endangered American bald eagle. It’s a case of loathe at first sight when the chain-smoking, big city Souchak meets the reclusive nature-lover Porter. But despite their differences, Souchak’s trip west soon turns into a fun-filled romantic adventure as these two trek through the mountains at the top of the world along the Continental Divide. Written by Lawrence Kasdan (Raiders of the Lost Ark), co-produced by Steven Spielberg (Poltergeist) and co-starring Tony Ganios (The Wanderers), Val Avery (The Sting II), Bill Henderson (Inside Moves) and Ron Dean (Code of Silence).

738329251246.jpg

Real Name
Insider
Coming December 8th!

My Science Project (1985)
• Audio Commentary by Film Historians Mike McPadden and Kat Ellinger
• Lossless 2.0 Stereo Audio
• Theatrical Trailer

Color 95 Minutes 2.35:1 Rated PG
Michael Harlan (John Stockwell, Losin’ It, Christine, Top Gun) has procrastinated on his science project until the last minute, and his teacher (Dennis Hopper, River’s Edge, Blue Velvet, Speed) issues him an ultimatum: turn in a science project or flunk. So, Mike scavenges a military base’s junk pile for a suitable gizmo to pass off as his project. He finds one... and unwittingly unleashes the awesome power and energy of the unknown. Twisted dimensions… time warps… a fantastic realm where the past, present and future collide in a whirling vortex that takes the class on a startling adventure through time and space. The wonderful cast includes Danielle von Zerneck (La Bamba), Fisher Stevens (Short Circuit), Richard Masur (Scavenger Hunt), Barry Corbin (Stir Crazy) and Ann Wedgeworth (TV’s Three’s Company).

738329235383.jpg

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NC_Mike