What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (45 Viewers)

Corn Pop

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
KL Insider, will this release be in German and not dubbed? I see in the description it says "Optional English Subtitles".
I think that it is great that Kino Lorber is able to publish this very new and very lavish German Series on blu-ray with special features. I always prefer the original audio with subtitles.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Another of my Holy Grails off my "MIA Blu-ray" listing! :rock: A fine movie that I hope is finally released on home video in its OAR.

Sunday's Facebook Announcement:

Coming Soon!

Attack (1956) Starring Jack Palance, Lee Marvin, Eddie Albert, Richard Jaeckel, Robert Strauss, Buddy Ebsen & Peter van Eyck – Shot by Joseph F. Biroc (The Towering Inferno, The Longest Yard) – Music by Frank De Vol (Cat Ballou, The Big Knife) – Screenplay by James Poe (Lilies of the Field, They Shoot Horses, Don’t They?) – Directed by Robert Aldrich (Kiss Me Deadly, What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?, The Flight of the Phoenix, The Dirty Dozen, Ulzana’s Raid).

Image may contain: one or more people, text that says 'IT RIPS OPEN THE HOT HELL BEHIND ATTACK! THE GLORY! TheAssociates Aldrich JACK PALANCE ATTACK! EDDIE ALBERT cempany LEE MARVIN ROBERT STRAUSS RICHARD JAECKEL BUDDY EBSEN WILLIAM SMITHERS NOBERT ALDRICH''IT RIPS OPEN THE HOT HELL BEHIND ATTACK! THE GLORY! TheAssociates Aldrich JACK PALANCE ATTACK! EDDIE ALBERT cempany LEE MARVIN ROBERT STRAUSS RICHARD JAECKEL BUDDY EBSEN WILLIAM SMITHERS NOBERT ALDRICH'

Attack is an underrated gritty WW2 film directed by Robert Aldrich and Starring Jack Palance and Lee Marvin.I hope there is an informative commentary on this release . This is a very good anti war film from the mid fifties with a pretty strong bite.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Saturday's Facebook Announcement:

Coming 2021!

Brand New 4K Restoration!

GAMBIT (1966) Starring Shirley MacLaine, Michael Caine & Herbert Lom – Shot by Clifford Stine (Wings of the Hawk, This Island Earth) – Music by Maurice Jarre (Doctor Zhivago, Lawrence of Arabia) – Screenplay by Jack Davies (Ffolkes) & Alvin Sargent (Paper Moon) – Story by Sidney Carroll (The Hustler) – Directed by Ronald Neame (Tunes of Glory, The Chalk Garden, The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie, The Poseidon Adventure, The Odessa File, Hopscotch).

Image may contain: 2 people

great news! This one was on my list! I just saw it for the first time this summer. Fun film.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Coming to DVD and Blu-ray October 20th from Kino Classics!

Three Tod Browning classics in two separate releases!

Outside the Law (1920)
Directed by Tod Browning
Starring Priscilla Dean and Lon Chaney

New 4K Restoration by Universal Pictures!

While under contract at Universal Studios, Tod Browning crafted a series of melodramas with strong female protagonists, women on the wrong side of the law, who stood defiantly against the men who tried to control them. No actress better personified this tough, glamorous anti-hero than Priscilla Dean (Drifting, White Tiger). In Outside the Law, Dean plays hard-boiled jewel thief Molly Madden. When her father is framed for murder by Black Mike Sylva (Lon Chaney), Molly partners with safecracker Dapper Bill (Wheeler Oakman) to stage a double-cross of their own. Outside the Law was Browning’s second film with actor Lon Chaney, whose gifts for elaborate makeup and ruthless villainy would flower under Browning’s direction, setting the stage for a series of monstrous characterizations that would revolutionize the melodrama and lay the foundations of the American horror film.

Special features:
*Audio commentary by film historian Anthony Slide
*Musical score by Anton Sanko
*Alternate ending
*Footage comparison
---------------------------------------

Drifting (1923) and White Tiger (1923)
Directed by Tod Browning
Starring Priscilla Dean and Wallace Beery

After the runaway success of Outside the Law, director Tod Browning re-teamed with star Priscilla Dean on Drifting, another hard-boiled crime picture flavored with Orientalism. Set in a remote Chinese village, and staged on an epic scale, Dean stars as Cassie Cook, an opium trafficker caught between an undercover government agent (Matt Moore) and a fellow smuggler (Wallace Beery). Dean may have been the star, but it is Anna May Wong (age eighteen and on the brink of stardom), who steals the show during the film’s fiery climax.
An early attempt by Browning to infuse the crime melodrama with elements of the uncanny (spurring the evolution of the American horror film), White Tiger involves a band of jewel thieves who employ a chess-playing automaton to gain entry into the homes of the wealthy. But their elaborate plans are haunted by omens, and they seem doomed to an inescapable fate. This disc also contains the only surviving footage of Browning and Dean’s 1919 The Exquisite Thief, one of the key films in establishing Dean’s persona as the glamorous jewel thief.

Special features:
• Drifting 4K Restoration by George Eastman Museum
• Audio commentary for Drifting by film historian Anthony Slide
• Musical score by Anton Sanko
• Audio commentary for White Tiger by film historian Bret Wood
• Musical score by Andrew Earle Simpson
• Fragment of the “lost” Tod Browning/Priscilla Dean film The Exquisite Thief

View attachment 76614 View attachment 76613

these gems are very welcomed additions, that i look forward to viewing,

i do have a question for Mr. Insider, between the silents with work from Paramount Restorations and the Universal Restorations, is there any chance that the original "IT" girl Clara Bow, will be getting some more proper releases, (not to slight Grapevine Video) UCLA did a restoration on "The Wild Party", not certain, of who has the holdings of most of her films now or if they have become public domain. Any information will as always be greatly appreciated.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Attack is an underrated gritty WW2 film directed by Robert Aldrich and Starring Jack Palance and Lee Marvin.I hope there is an informative commentary on this release . This is a very good anti war film from the mid fifties with a pretty strong bite.
Don't get me wrong--I love ATTACK! from the first shot of a helmet in a field of daisies (which I think was designed by an uncredited Saul Bass) to the last visceral close-up of Jack Palance--but, to paraphrase James Jones, I really wouldn't classify the film as "anti-war" as, like PATHS OF GLORY and many others from the 1950's, it implies that war wouldn't be so bad if only the commanding officers were more humane and caring, and that doesn't make a bit of difference.

MLamarre

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Lamarre
I've been waiting for Attack! for years. So very, very happy it's finally coming. Hopefully Kino has also licensed Apache (1954) and The Hills Run Red (1966), 2 westerns that have also been held hostage by Shout Factory for years (their license expired the same time as Attack! did).

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Does anyone know if Kino have the rights to the Airport series, seeing that they've been releasing a good chunk of Universal's library so far.

This year the original film turned 50 back in March and I thought that maybe Shout Factory was going to release a complete box set of the films for the occasion, but here we are in August and nothing yet.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
There already is a complete box set from Universal. It is unlikely that there is consumer demand to support a double dip.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Don't get me wrong--I love ATTACK! from the first shot of a helmet in a field of daisies (which I think was designed by an uncredited Saul Bass) to the last visceral close-up of Jack Palance--but, to paraphrase James Jones, I really wouldn't classify the film as "anti-war" as, like PATHS OF GLORY and many others from the 1950's, it implies that war wouldn't be so bad if only the commanding officers were more humane and caring, and that doesn't make a bit of difference.

I think i read the film as being a bit more negative to the military aspect of war period. But i do agree that it's a good film. :)

disctrip

Supporting Actor
Real Name
hank freitas
Another of my Holy Grails off my "MIA Blu-ray" listing! :rock: A fine movie that I hope is finally released on home video in its OAR.

Sunday's Facebook Announcement:

Coming Soon!

Attack (1956) Starring Jack Palance, Lee Marvin, Eddie Albert, Richard Jaeckel, Robert Strauss, Buddy Ebsen & Peter van Eyck – Shot by Joseph F. Biroc (The Towering Inferno, The Longest Yard) – Music by Frank De Vol (Cat Ballou, The Big Knife) – Screenplay by James Poe (Lilies of the Field, They Shoot Horses, Don’t They?) – Directed by Robert Aldrich (Kiss Me Deadly, What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?, The Flight of the Phoenix, The Dirty Dozen, Ulzana’s Raid).

Image may contain: one or more people, text that says 'IT RIPS OPEN THE HOT HELL BEHIND ATTACK! THE GLORY! TheAssociates Aldrich JACK PALANCE ATTACK! EDDIE ALBERT cempany LEE MARVIN ROBERT STRAUSS RICHARD JAECKEL BUDDY EBSEN WILLIAM SMITHERS NOBERT ALDRICH''IT RIPS OPEN THE HOT HELL BEHIND ATTACK! THE GLORY! TheAssociates Aldrich JACK PALANCE ATTACK! EDDIE ALBERT cempany LEE MARVIN ROBERT STRAUSS RICHARD JAECKEL BUDDY EBSEN WILLIAM SMITHERS NOBERT ALDRICH'
Only in Hollywood can you pull the pin with your teeth.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks